Skip to content

GetHitDice(oAdventurer)

JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
Can anyone tell me what this is actually checking, please? Character levels? As a player, is there anything that I can do on my end (outside of actually leveling) to get some of the more challenging encounters when they're using this as a factor?

Comments

• JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Thank you for the link. If I'm understanding the remarks there correctly, this is just a simple check for the character's level. Unless I were to actually level the character, just buffing his hit points or experience would do nothing? Is there anything that I can do to give my character the appearance of having more levels than he actually does?
  • ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
    My scripting knowledge is limited to a few phrases here and there...
    Hold on,
    void main()
    {
        object oPC = GetFirstPC();
        if (GetLevelByClass(CLASS_TYPE_DRUID, oPC)>0)
        {
    	// do stuff here   
        }
    }

I hope that helps... ;)
  • ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
    Yeah, I don't think that is what you were looking for. :(
  • KamirynKamiryn Member Posts: 74
    You could increase the effectice level of you char by editing the columns EffCRLvlnn (nn=01,02,03,...) for your char's class(es) in classes.2da. If you increase the values the NWN engine considers your char to have a higher level and encounters based on your char's level become more challenging.
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    Or if you have a bunch of summons and henchmen when you enter the spawn trigger, then unsummon and disband them before fighting.
    Thank you all for the suggestions. @Kamiryn I've likely done something wrong, but I adjusted all of the EffCRLvlnn columns (01-20) to 20. Then dropped the edited classes.2da file into override folder. I've only tested the first chest in OC Prelude and the encounters in Peninsula OC Chapter 1, but all them triggered to the lowest level options. Note that the character that I've tested this with was actually a 1st level paladin. Did I do something wrong there? And, provided that this does work, is there any way to do this without adding and removing the edited file for every encounter that I'd want to trigger in this fashion?
    I think you have to try a different module. The Prelude doesn't have tough monsters available. Even chapter 1 would be easier to tell if it's working or not.
    edited July 2022
    I'm likely wrong, too, in how the OC encounters work. I'm not seeing any scripts tied to any of them in the toolset at all, though I'm unsure where to look for them. That first chest in the Prelude was the first example I could think of where my character's level is checked in this fashion. The summoning trick does work, to an extent, but I wasn't able to trigger any of the higher level encounters in the Peninsula OC Chapter One. I'll try some of the undead ones, as I can recall liches showing up in place of lower level undead for certain encounters. Not that I'd have a chance against liches at 1st level, but, at this point, I'm just wanting to see if it'd be possible to spawn their encounter at a lower level.

Edit: That first chest in the Prelude will give higher level characters higher level weapons at different stages. At 20+, at least, the Docks Tomb encounters spawn liches. At 1st level, even with the classes.2da file edited to 20s, the same encounters spawn skeletons.

Edit II: For my 1st level paladin grouped with the 14th level Boddyknock, those same undead encounters in the Docks Tomb OC Chapter One only spawn zombies and shadows. I was expecting something a bit higher level with a 14th level character in the party. I'm definitely not understanding how this works.
    Post edited by Jidokwon on
    Awhile back, I made enhancements to all the first campaign. To get tougher monsters, I set the encounters to impossible. It was pretty hard to do most things. Like you get melted by Acid Arrow from 5+ Gang Leaders in the Peninsula at level 5 I think.
  • KamirynKamiryn Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2022
    Jidokwon wrote: »
    Thank you all for the suggestions. @Kamiryn I've likely done something wrong, but I adjusted all of the EffCRLvlnn columns (01-20) to 20. Then dropped the edited classes.2da file into override folder. I've only tested the first chest in OC Prelude and the encounters in Peninsula OC Chapter 1, but all them triggered to the lowest level options. Note that the character that I've tested this with was actually a 1st level paladin. Did I do something wrong there? And, provided that this does work, is there any way to do this without adding and removing the edited file for every encounter that I'd want to trigger in this fashion?

I think 20 is far, far too high - I doubt that Bioware did OC Chapter 1 encounters with lvl 20 chars in mind. Once I set the effective level for the 'weaker' classes to their class level (as it is for all the fighter classes). Then I definitely got more challenging encounters for my rogue/cleric. So if you want more challenging encounters for your paladin I would start by adding 1 or 2 to the current numbers.
    [edit]I never tested numbers higher than the class level. So maybe the effective class level can't be higher than the class level. And that's why you don't see any changes with 20 in all columns.[/edit]