Skip to content

Unable to convert mp3 files into BMUs

blbdartblbdart Member Posts: 3
edited September 2022 in Builders - Toolset
Hello,

I've tried converting some MP3 files into BMU files for use in my module but the converter seems to error out on me every time. I'm not really sure why.

Is there a more detailed way or better way to convert into some BMU files?

On the other hand, if there is anyone who is willing to turn some MP3 files into BMUs for me that would be much much appreciated. :D

Thank you
Post edited by blbdart on

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Mp3 files can easily be converted to BMU by hand using a plain text editor such as notepad++ (windows only). A good while ago I noticed that the bmu version of an mp3 file was always exactly 8 bytes larger. So I compared them in WinMerge. The only difference is that right at the very start of a bmu file is this exact text - "BMU V1.0" - and that's it. So all you have to do to convert an mp3 to a bmu file is to insert that text right at the very start of an mp3 file and save it with bmu as the extension. Here is that text again but on its own line to make copying it easier -

BMU V1.0

That works on both EE and earlier versions of the game. Now here is the twist. With EE you should be able to do the conversion simply by changing an mp3 file's extension to bmu because beamdog made that possible in one of the patches to EE.

TR
  • blbdartblbdart Member Posts: 3
    That works! Thank you so much for that TatorRedhand! I appreciate it. B)
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    Yes, for EE simply changing the extension to .bmu makes it ready to go. And you can put them in a hak which is the icing on the cake.
  • ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
    Awesome information!

I've really been getting into the sound aspect of the game. I recently tried using the BMU converter found on the vault and ran into some problems. It wouldn't even accept the file when I tried to drag and drop or explore to the .mp3 manually.

I gotta try this out...
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    One other little point about bmu/mp3 files you might find interesting. Alongside the audio data, they also store textual information too. This means that by using a good plain text editor (notepad++, etc.) to open them it is easy to see any copywrite notice embedded in the files. I know for a fact that those files I bought from Amazon actually say they are from Amazon inside the mp3 files.

TR