Skip to content

Looking for feedback on rebalancing the monk.

hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
edited November 2022 in General Modding
I've spent some time getting comfortable with NearInfinity, and also figuring out in my head what processes need to be used to make a clean mod that someone else could install. I still have to learn the coding part of weidu but at some point I do intend to do it, and I think for the first proper mod I try to make, the monk seems to be a good choice for a major revision of some kind. It does reflect other changes I've made to my own game but I think it could stand quite well on it's own.
Monk:

Innate Crit Immunity at level 1

Remove immunity to haste

Unarmed attacks -

L1 +0 2D6
L3 +1 2D6
L7 +2 3D6
L12 +3 3D6
L16 +4 4D6
L20 +5 4D6

Full Weapon proficiency for any weapon thieves can use

Strength of Body, Strength of Mind:

+3 AC initial starting bonus
+1 to all saving throws, then additional +1 every tenth level.
+5% to all damage resistances at level 3, +5% every third level onwards until level 24
Magic Resistance: 20%, +5% every three levels, to level 40

Can wear Ioun Stones and any items a cleric can wear except helms or spell rings.

Stunning Blow: Save penalty -1
Quivering Palm: Save penalty -2

Other features remain the same.

I don't really know how I would approach the kits, I would consider that seperately, but my attempt is to make them a little stronger in BG1 and less squishy in BG2 +TOB, with fist damage and enchantment being slightly more convenient, and to try and somewhat balance the choice of using a weapon versus going unarmed. Monks are fighters, I wouldn't see one using a mace or a halberd but why would they only be no more than proficient with blades? And Magic resistance is copied off my rebalanced wizard slayer which I think works in this context as well.

I might package this with changes to the Kensai which well, only changes the fact they can wear up to studded leather armour and bracers because my conclusion with the Kensai is their item restrictions do very little to balance their power but only inconvenience the player for most of the game. Of course in my game, kits can't dual class, so I also feel it helps the kit as a stand alone choice.

But I haven't played a lot of Throne of Bhaal and actually haven't played with the monk before. These changes are ultimately based more on what I've read other people say and my understanding of how things work with the classes I have played. I'm looking just for opinions on if this would be something people like the sound of.
Post edited by hybridial on

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Monks have a bit of an identity crisis, especially in earlier editions.

I think the biggest thing about Monks is that you really want to make sure their fists are usable at all points. It's really frustrating when you want to have your monk attack things and then suddenly you're slightly farther ahead than your monk level expects and now your targeted damage dealer can't do anything because their fists are only +2 enchanted and the monster is immune to them.

I solved this in my mod by just having Monk fists be maximally enchanted from the jump.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Remember, Monks are proficient with and sometimes should fight using non-fist weapons!

But I agree that in general, Monks suck.