Skip to content

What do you consider cheating or abusing game mechanics?

So I have this nerdy problem. I am playing with my friends bg2ee multiplayer on above core rules difficulty. We had this discussion recently, when fighting Firkragg, we casted some Lower Resistance/Pierce Magic on him before fight even started, which ofcourse made it much more easier to beat the beast. But isn't that a cheap trick? Similary, I feel like attacking not hostile enemies, which will turn hostile after dialog is also cheat. Sorry for sounding chaotic, but I think you understand my problem. What are your opinions?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Lower Resistance and Pierce Magic are both flagged as "hostile", which means they count as attacks when you use them on a neutral party. And as soon as you do that, they become an enemy. Casting those spells to open a battle isn't really abusive at all; you're just making the first move. It's on the same level as attacking rather than making someone mad through dialogue - not fitting the paladin code, but also not really cheating. If you feel bad about that sort of thing, a roleplayed paladin run might suit you.

Now, preparing the field with a bunch of traps, that go off as soon as the dragon goes hostile - that's abusive. I'll still set trap ambushes like that in some places, because I'm the kind of player that likes fighter/thieves and dirty tricks.
  • Delial_Delial_ Member Posts: 3
    jmerry wrote: »
    Lower Resistance and Pierce Magic are both flagged as "hostile", which means they count as attacks when you use them on a neutral party.

Wow! I've just tested this in single player and yep, they go hostile - it makes perfect sense, but I shit you not it didn't work this way in multiplayer. Interesting.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Multiplayer has all kinds of weird stuff going on, when triggered by others than the host.

I'm not sure what happens exactly, but it's like the game doesn't always consider (at least custom) chars controlled by "player 2" to be an actor like the host, and then you can get weird stuff like this.