Skip to content

2 odd changes after installing SoD

After I installed SoD, I went back for a second playthrough of BG1EE. I think the UI is a bit different, but that doesn't bother me. However, I noticed two changes that concern me...

1. In the opening Candlekeep area, I no longer can get the option (quest?) of practicing group battles.
2. In character creation, the different voice options are different...they now include things like "Male jovial" or "male brute" etc.

At first I thought the game had reverted to perhaps the original version, but then I noticed that Dorn is still at the Friendly Arm Inn...which (I think) is an EE thing. So I looked at the opening screen, and it says "Enhanced Edition" and at the bottom says v2.6.6.0 (in case that info helps).

So, can someone tell me what happened and whether there is a way to get the EE that I had before? Is this an earlier version of the EE?

(I guess my main concern is that...if that one early quest is now missing....will other quests be missing? or will other key things be missing? Also, I'm kinda missing some of those voice options I had before.)

NOTE: I've read several people reporting changes only to UI, and needing to use GoG's "offline installers" to create a second install. But I haven't read where anyone encountered what I did....and not being super tech-saavy, I'd like to avoid this step if possible.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The group battles against illusionary creatures are only an option if you have exactly one party member. SoD has nothing to do with it. (There are five characters in there that join you. They need room in the party.)

The voice packs you can assign to characters are given new names with SoD, and several new ones are added. None of them are removed.
  • newguynewguy Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2023
    Well, that info about group battles definitely explains that...much appreciated!

As far as the voices, in the previous version FEMALE 2 was a very sultry voice...and at least that one is not there anymore.
    Oh well, not a big deal.

Thanks for the tip!
    Post edited by newguy on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    No, it is still there. It's called "Female: Streetwise" with SoD. (I have installs both with and without SoD, for mod-testing purposes)
  • newguynewguy Member Posts: 31
    It's similar, but I don't think it's the same. (The original voice is still present in BG2EE.) The streetwise sample has different words/phrases and has a little more of an edge to her voice and lacks that sultry quality. The original voice is pure honey. :)