Skip to content

Tutorial: Transferring LocalVault, Modules and other User Generated files [PC to PC]

nwfan87nwfan87 Member Posts: 99
edited April 2023 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Hi all, I have now managed to solve this problem myself (posted and quoted below)! BUT I want to tell you how I did so that others who might be having the same problem can learn from my lesson.

I you are transferring files from an old PC onto a new one, yes it can be done. But there are some important things that you must know:

1) Back up your old PC game files, and COPY them to the new PC, do not cut and paste or delete.

2) ONLY transfer user generated files. If you just copy and paste 'Neverwinter Nights' in your Documents folder, it will not work. It will overwrite other important files that NWN EE needs and nothing will show up in the game. This is no doubt intended to protect the game files. If you have made this mistake, don't worry. If you've used steam, just verify the integrity of the files using steam and when you start NWN EE again it will generate a new Neverwinter Nights folder in Documents. In my case, it generated a Neverwinter Nights.0 file. This is the file that the game will use to pull User Gen. data.

3) I then transferred ONLY, the user generated files from the copy I made of my old Neverwinter Nights document files onto the new system. I checked every folder to make sure every file was covered. If Neverwinter Nights.0 didn't have a subfolder, save or erf. for example, I just quickly made one, using the current game. In my case, I just created a save file and an erf in the toolset. I did not, copy and paste the subfolders from the old files.

4) I then tested each file to see whether stuff worked and everything so far, has worked perfect. I am now making sure to keep the old files just incase I need them again.

I hope this short post will help other who might be having difficultly transferring files from and old PC onto a new one. Secondly, I hope NWN EE will continue to make this procedure just as easy in the future, for when a new PC is required again.

So I'm trying to move all of my old NWN files from my old computer onto a new system. But there is no sign that the game will read any of the files from the old system and in fact, it just refuses to show any files whatsoever.

Worse still, a module I've been building for about a year no longer loads properly in the toolset. It just shows that the Haks are missing when they are in the folder.

Any solutions for this? Would be really grateful for any help on this. There are no game related files being transferred, just things like LocalVault, my own Modules, Hak packs and that kind of stuff
Post edited by nwfan87 on