Skip to content

Twisted Rune Bug

DraikenWeAreDraikenWeAre Member Posts: 111
I installed SCS (and some other Mods) and when I enter the twisted rune Hideout, only Shangalar is present .

Even after I kill him , the rest never appear and I'm just stuff in that room .

So I want to know has anyone ever experienced something like this before from any component, so I could know what I would possibly have to uninstall to fix this?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Shangalar is initially present, in an impassable location. He talks to you when you come in range (that's a "detect" trigger, so it'll work even if you're under Protection from Undead or otherwise invisible). At the end of that conversation, he teleports off the platform to a spot near where you came in, and sets a variable in the area. The area script detects that variable and summons in the others.

So ... did you give him a chance to talk? Did he teleport away from that central platform?

If you killed him without giving him the chance to talk, then it's not really a bug. If he did talk and move, that means the area script didn't work properly - maybe a bad edit from some mod? That script is AR1008.BCS.
  • DraikenWeAreDraikenWeAre Member Posts: 111
    @jmerry yeah I removed the AR1008 from the mod file and it removed the bug .

Now I'm asking will this also affect anything else or is it just only this?

Additionally I've experienced a similar issue before with a similar solution.
    I installed SCS in BG1EE and Tanari appearing in the cult hideout in Shalandar house would crash the whole game , so I ended up deleting the file from override , just like this and never had the issue again.

So is this a similar issue to that?
    Do you still have a copy of that bad script somewhere? Uploading it to take a look might make it possible to identify what broke.

(If you want to upload a game resource here, zip it up. Zip files are allowed to be attached, random extensions like the game uses for its resources aren't.)
    Only the AR1008 one you told me of but not the Tandri own.

Looking at it ... ah. There's your problem. That's the script for the wrong area entirely. It's the script for the ice island exterior, which is AR1008 in BG1. The Twisted Rune hideout is AR1008 in BG2.

There are several variants of "trilogy" mods that combine the games into one continuous narrative; EET is the most current version, using the EE versions of the games as its base. These mods deal with resource overlap like this by renaming the BG1 versions; in a proper EET install, the ice island exterior would be BG1008 instead (BG1008.ARE for the area file, BG1008.BCS for the script).

Of course, this still leaves the question of how you got things crossed up between the two games.
    @jmerry I do t exactly know , I was just installing SCS that was it , nothing special.

Maybe the install file was corrupted or something, which is wierd since I've not actually had issues , though this is my first SCS full self install on BG2EE.

Could you send me the proper AR1008 if you have it in your override?
    Considering that just not having anything in your override worked, you have the proper version already. The source of the bad copy is unknown (It's not SCS), but the override folder overrides game files; it doesn't completely remove the originals, and removing stuff from the override restores those files' originals.
    So @Jmerry, just wondering what does the proper override file then code for?

For them to appear faster , because I alreadu am seeing all the Ai difficulty improvements from SCS , or is it somthing more nuance?
    The proper script for that area in the override folder, with SCS and nothing else? Nothing. SCS doesn't alter that area's script at all. It alters the creatures - give the fighter some equipment, make the beholder an elder orb (add spellcasting), give standard AI upgrades to everyone - but the script that starts the whole thing is unchanged. And being unchanged, there's no reason to have anything in the override at all.
    edited April 2023
    @Jmerry I hope I'm not sounding grating asking these questions , cause I don't really understand modding or coding etc , even though I use the stuff.

But from the original developers of the SCS Mod , why exactly would they then add a script to thier mod, if in the original override folder, it originally does nothing.

Like wouldn't it save time energy and resources, just to focus on what actually does affect the game?
    They didn't. This bad script did not come from SCS. I don't know what brought it in, but it was something else.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    One option is to make a fresh install with only the mod components most important to you. Test that, share your results, and go from there.
    edited April 2023
    Hey @jmerry , I don't know if you have any insight into another bug I have.

I recently got to spellhold dungeron level 3 where you're supposed to first turn into slayer form fighting bodhi.

But I got no slayer transformation, instead Bodhi doesn't attack unless I talk to her first (the other two vampires attack regardless).

Then when I talk to her she just says "Your last victory is hollow. You've only delayed the inevitable" then when I win she says "Well done, child of bhaal. Run faster, and perhaps you'll soon escape!".
    The slayer transformation is activated by the area script, based on a timer that's set when Bodhi talks to you. Her dialogue checks for the AsylumPlot variable (it should be 41 when this encounter begins), and she's scripted to talk to you as soon as a PC enters visual range if this instance of her hasn't talked to the party yet.

What did she say when you talked to her?
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 495
    Hey @jmerry , I don't know if you have any insight into another bug I have.

I recently got to spellhold dungeron level 3 where you're supposed to first turn into slayer form fighting bodhi.

But I got no slayer transformation, instead Bodhi doesn't attack unless I talk to her first (the other two vampires attack regardless).

Then when I talk to her she just says "Your last victory is hollow. You've only delayed the inevitable" then when I win she says "Well done, child of bhaal. Run faster, and perhaps you'll soon escape!".
    Reminds me of the Cat an Mouse Bodhi's hunt component from Unfinished Business...
    Yeah, it's probably that. The "Your last victory was hollow" line exists in her normal dialogue, but is supposed to be inaccessible; it requires "SpokeBodhiHunt" to be 1, and nothing in the vanilla game sets that variable. The "Well done, child of Bhaal" line doesn't exist at all in vanilla. It is in that UB component - I checked the tra.

While I've played with it once, I've never deliberately installed the component, so I'm not very familiar with how it's scripted.
    @jmerry it was the Cat and Mouse Mod , I uninstalled it and set the variables to 0 and it was all good.

Thanks @Trouveur
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    What's this cat and mouse mod?
    A component in "Unfinished Business" for BG2.