Skip to content

Custom Music Tutorial for NWN: EE

nwfan87nwfan87 Member Posts: 99
Posting entirely for community benefit, for NWN EE users.

1) Grab yourself this: MP3toBMU https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/mp3tobmu-035
2) Install the software
3) create the music files you want in MP3 format, remember that the file name cannot exceed 16 characters!
4) run MP3toBMU and set up your directories - where you want to get your MP3 files from and where you want the BMU ones to go* (click on the ... button). This works automatically every time you load up the software.
5) Select the MP3's you want to convert so that the file is highlighted.
6) Click on To.BMU >
7) Follow software instructions until complete.
8) Export and edit an ambientmusic.2da (using Bioware Hakpak Editor (bin/win32)).
9) Edit/add the exact name of the 2da, notepad works fine. Save.
10) Do a 'save as' to backup original HakPak's. Drag your edited 2da onto Bioware Hakpak Editor, overwrite the existing 2da in Bioware Hakpak Editor.
11) Save the hakpak, close the Bioware Hakpak Editor and load up the Hak in the Toolset as standard.

Do not put the BMU into the hakpak.

*I recommend setting up the BMU directory part to the Neverwinter Nights/data/mus directory. The steam one if you are using NWN EE

Battle Music

If you want to use a BMU for Music, Battle. the BMU file must be prefixed with mus_bat_ otherwise it will not show up in the Music, Battle drop down menu otherwise.

Feel free to comment and ad lib. if you have your own method.

any questions, feel free to ask
Post edited by nwfan87 on

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    For original Bioware tutorials see Ancient Bioware PDF Tutorials (includes the adding music tutorial) and for the best (in my opinion) standalone 2da editor try Yata. Ignore that it says it's for NwN 2 - it works fine for NwN EE. You don't need to use MP3toBMU just change the extension from mp3 to bmu. One of the things that changed for EE was that it can handle mp3 files. In fact the only thing that is different between mp3 files and bmu files is that a bmu file is an mp3 file with "BMU V1.0" added as the first 8 bytes to make it into a bmu file.

TR
  • nwfan87nwfan87 Member Posts: 99
    @TarotRedhand, Those tutorials are the go to, for NWN builders. Yata looks good, could be helpful if not used to reading on notepad. My antivirus software keeps destroying it on download though :(

I heard about the MP3 update for EE, but haven't tried it myself yet, would save some time.
    edited April 2023
    @nwfan87 - My antivirus software keeps destroying it on download though :(

Add it to exceptions. If you don't know how go to the av's website/forums/FAQ.

TR
    @nwfan87 On the off-chance that you would like other "lost" material here is a list to links of other ancient things I collected together and posted on the vault. Take a look at and read the project pages in order to make up your mind.

Ancient Bioware Modules
    Just The FAQs, ma'am (Scripting Frequently Asked Questions with answers)

The last three are collections of ancient scripts found all over the net.

Unearthed Gold
    Yet More Gold
    Final Gold

Hope these are of use.

TR
  • nwfan87nwfan87 Member Posts: 99
    @TarotRedhand Wow, great resources, thanks for this! I'm sure it will be very helpful for those who stumble onto this page. Helpful for me as well. :)