Skip to content

Hello all! Newcomer here!

Hi, everyone! Jairus is my name. I've played BG on and off for years, mostly the EE but a bit of the original as well, almost always with mods like the Tweaks Anthology, the BG1NPC Project, and Chatty Imoen, among others. I recently finished SoA for the first time (was my first time going through it, too, despite having played BG1 for years before that) and I have to say it was incredible, especially with the added depth the rewritten Imoen Romance mod added (and not just the romantic aspect, either).

I've never hated a game villain before as much as I did Irenicus for all that he did to Imoen and all he put her through, and smacking him down at the end was immensely satisfying. I haven't finished ToB yet but I've been making my way through it and enjoying it so far. Not too far into it yet, but I like it.

I tend to play good-aligned characters because for me, I just can't bring myself to have my character do things that I would never do. I know others play differently and that's fine, this is just my personal style. Anyway, that's just a little about me. I've played D&D CRPG's since the good ol' DOS days of the Gold Box series and the Eye of the Beholder trilogy (still one of my favorite sets of games of all time, especially Legend of Darkmoon). I've also finished Icewind Dale a few times, both the original and EE, though I've never played IWD2 before.

Comments

• ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 427
    Welcome to the forum! May you have many a grand adventure in ToB! B)
  • JairusJairus Member Posts: 8
    ber5nie5 wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum! May you have many a grand adventure in ToB! B)

Thanks! I intend to. :)

Btw, I made a thread in the Fan Creations forum last night (sharing a portrait set I did) and it said it was waiting on approval before it could be posted. Do you happen to know how long that generally takes?
  • KatzerchenKatzerchen Member Posts: 61
    A warm welcome to you, Jairus!
    Nice to have another player here who remembers good ole DOS times.
    Yeah, those were the days lol. Eye of the Beholder was one of the first computer games I ever had. Played it a ton on my old IBM PS/1 Expert (my first PC) a thousand years ago when I was still in high school, hehe. Have the trilogy on both GoG and Steam these days and I still run through it again every so often. Menzoberranzan as well, though I've yet to try the Ravenloft games. I've heard they're really good, though.
  • KatzerchenKatzerchen Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2023
    EOB, Menzo, Ravenloft, Dungeon Hack...
    Tried some stuff with EOB and Menzo back in the day, just to see what happens. There is a variable overflow in EOB 1 so that when your maximum hit points go beyond 127 (possible with a dwarven fighter with CON 19, there also is a bug that lets HP still be rolled after level 9/10), they become negative.
    Highest level you can reach in Menzo is 13, when you play with only 2 characters all the time and one of them is a thief (the thief can use mage spell scrolls from level 10). There is some bug so that Rizzen Do'Urden still is in the tavern after you killed him. For some reason, player characters can fight with two non-magical scimitars, but can combine a magical one only with a one-handed crossbow.
    Ravenloft has a nice atmosphere, they also did a great job with the sound effects.
    BG is too big and complex for me to do such experiments and go through the full games over and over. Way too many possible party combos and way too many NPCs to check everything in detail.
    Oh, btw, in ToB, why are the portraits for certain characters (Melissan, Gromnir, etc.) so much worse in quality than those of the party? The style is completely different and they're quite blurry and low-res as well.
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 427
    That's a very good question, and I have no clue why that is lol. B)

Using somebody's artwork maybe?
    Not that I know of, but I can check my mods again and see if any of them included new portraits.
  • AlexAtaAlexAta Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I am amazed by the work you did in this forum!. I am a 50y old man who still plays BG and IWD and the information here is fantastic!
    Keep it up plz
    Best
    Alex
    Thank you! I know I haven't been very active lately, but I may do more once I get back to playing BG & BG2, I still haven't finished ToB yet but I like it so far, especially with the additions the IR mod provides.
  • ibutteributter Member Posts: 5
    Seems like a lot of new players like us have been drawn to this game! They put great work into making it, and it shows!