Skip to content

NWN 1 Model Textures

More basic questions from a newbie builder.

How do mdl files link with tga files e.g making a retexture or creating new textures for creatures etc?

Are there any resources, tutorials on how to get rendered textures using Neverblender?

Thanks!

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,286
    edited June 2023
    The simplest approach is to decompile the mdl into an ASCII file, if it isn't already. The format is explained in detail here. Textures are specified by bitmap directives e.g.
    bitmap nonsuch

is an instruction to use the texture nonsuch.tga.

Often, it's sufficient to change the directive to a different texture.

Other wiki pages discuss nuances like
    • How best to compile and decompile
    • Using .dds (which is often preferable to .tga)
    • Neverblender tutorials
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited June 2023
    You could try the tutorial that I wrote that covers the very basics - The simplest Blender model of all. Be warned though, you will need further instructional stuff after you complete the lesson. That is because it doesn't cover uv mapping. For that you need a different tutorial and no I haven't written one because I am not that much further along than you :) . Most of these tutorials that I know about are in the form of YouTube videos. Try Texture Painting in Blender for Complete Beginners. Another one (that seems little more complex) is -

[3.x] UV Editing & UV Unwrap In Blender | Learn About UV Maps & Their Uses | Step-by-Step Guide

Lastly, you might find this thread over on the vault forums is of some use to you - Blender: Is Someone Willing to Help?. I definitely found it of use as you'll see in that thread.

TR
  • nwfan87nwfan87 Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2023
    @Proleric @TarotRedhand Thank you very much for these resources! "another world opened before their eyes". Lots of learning to do now!