Skip to content

Can anyone explain this damage?

Can anyone out there explain what is happening here? How has Edwin done this much damage?

h0qcmay2zi08.jpg

k2lllex5xjz1.jpg

Just a normal quaterstaff on a mage with no strength nor proficiency bonuses. I would have thought the max damage he can do in a hit would be 6, and indeed that is what's showing in his character screen there. Naturally then double that for a crit, but as you can see, it certainly shouldn't be a crit.

I've seen the same thing with Silke. She thwacked me for 12 damage with her +1 staff. I don't for the life of me understand where she was getting +6 damage from. It isn't lost on me that both cases were using a staff. Do staves actually do 1d10 damage or something? Is there some hidden bonus damage for two handed weapons that doesn't show on the character screen?

I'm on insane difficulty with double damage turned off. Even if it was something to do with double damage, you normally see that as "bonus damage" in brackets. I have everything from SCS installed too.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• AceBean27AceBean27 Member Posts: 5
    I've just done some testing, and it appears to be related to having a melee weapon equipped or not.

With a ranged weapon or no weapon equipped, it seems you take an extra 4 damage from hits with melee weapons.

I think I've answered my own question then. I've noticed this happens to Basilisks too. Their gaze attack must count as a ranged weapon, so when you run up to them and start smacking, if they continue using the gaze attack (which the normally do), you do an extra 4 damage to them.

Interestingly I don't see any mention of this penalty on the Monk page or class description. Do Monks still take this extra damage when they are unarmed? I would have thought not, because that would be silly, but then I also would have thought it would be mentioned, as it seems quite important to a Monk.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,841
    In addition to the +4 damage, melee attacks against someone with a missile weapon or no weapon equipped get +4 to hit. The +4 damage also gets multiplied in a backstab, so ranged attackers are very vulnerable to backstabs.

Monk fists do not incur this penalty; you're treated as armed with a melee weapon with them.