Skip to content

No CD key Steam/GoG (Not enough keys?)

DyzerickDyzerick Member Posts: 2
Looks like everybody and their mom is/was having this problem

I bought the steam version of NWN EE a few months ago through steam and it generated my cdkey.ini file no problem.

But I recently did a fresh reinstall (Same machine, no changed settings) and the key will no longer generate.

On top of that I got the game free through prime and tried to install it that way but still no CD key.
Security disabled, no AV running. When I go to cd keys in GoG.com it says "Serial keys depleted".

They claimed this was fixed a few months ago and that it was due to running out of keys on steam, is it possible that a similar issue is happening since the game is free on prime now?

Please please fix this, it shouldn't be this hard to play a game with my friends.

Comments

• MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    This needs to be made more prominent, that you need to keep a copy of cdkey.ini before reinstalling the game. Nevertheless, you're right that they should still have your CD key on Steam. You should only need to log in to find it.
  • DyzerickDyzerick Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2023
    Melkior wrote: »
    This needs to be made more prominent, that you need to keep a copy of cdkey.ini before reinstalling the game. Nevertheless, you're right that they should still have your CD key on Steam. You should only need to log in to find it.

What?
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    Dyzerick wrote: »
    Melkior wrote: »

What?

There's a file called something like cdkey.ini which is installed and has your CD key(s) when the game is installed. Before reinstalling the game, it's generally a good idea to find and save that file. My understanding is that if your CD key is not automatically reinstalled along with the game, the CD key can be restored by copying that file back to where it used to be.
    But you're still right. That shouldn't be required. A re-install should also install the CD key.