Skip to content

who_is_daniel

who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
edited June 2023 in General Modding
Back before the Enhanced Editions were released I used to follow the instructions in the post I am copying below to quickly clean up my game to its original state after I messed up installing some mods. As it was much much faster than copying the entire game directory from a backup.

Will this still work?

https://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=17555.0

"Icelus
Global Moderator

Re: Building and Maintaining a Clean Install
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 01:00:50 PM »
TO RESTORE A CLEAN INSTALL

1.) Delete the file weidu.log[/i] from the game's main directory
2.) Delete the entire override folder from the game's main directory
2.) Copy (do not move) the following files from the backup[/i] directory to the game's main directory (answer "yes" when asked if you'd like to overwrite existing files):
dialog.tlk
chitin.key
baldur.ini
bgmain.exe/bgmain.exe/idmain.exe/iwd2.exe/torment.exe (depending on the game)
the entire override folder (not just the contents--copy the ENTIRE folder)
8.) Your game should now be restored to its original state. Reinstallation not necessary. :)"
Post edited by who_is_daniel on

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited June 2023
    Technically yes, but I'm not convinced on practice. Looking up which backup folder you want to get all those files from is a slow progress, now that weidu_external is also gaining ground.

My practice is that I have the preconfigured (NearInfiinity and some mod inis where appropriate) vanilla folders compressed* next to my mod installs. If I want to rebuild my folders, I rename the current ones, start decompressing my archive and at one point delete the previous iteration in parallel. This means I don't have to touch my tooling to change folders at all.

*Technically, I'm using a TAR so it isn't compressed at all, but you get the idea.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    If you didn't plan ahead, and broke things to the point that you can't just uninstall the mods ... you probably broke the backups, too. That's what WeiDU uses for the (very fast) uninstall process, after all.

If you did plan ahead, why not just keep a clean copy of everything? Storage space is cheap, and this >20 year old game doesn't take very much of it.