Skip to content

Wild Surge mixups

I ran into a weird bug with Wild Surges, so I started savescumming and casting reckless dweomers to try to find as many as I could. Here are some:

Whenever Neera or my PC triggers a wild surge that targets everyone nearby with the spell cast, the console echoes "Wild Surge: Sex Change" instead. The output should match what actually happens, one way or the other.

This may have been an intentional change, but "Wild Surge: Gems!" doesn't actually create gems after the first time it happens. It should create a number of random gems in the caster's or target's inventory, but it doesn't do anything at all.

The "Spell cast and I feel refreshed" wild surge doesn't actually refresh the caster. It should restore their spells (and some hitpoints, I think?)

"Wild Surge: Roll Twice More" doesn't do anything at all. It should... well, roll twice more and output two more Wild Surges.

"Wild Surge: Held" actually works sometimes, but other times it cast the spells twice. Again, what happens should match the console output--I assume that one of the Held surges works and the other doesn't.

Finally, a very strange effect just occurred. Neera cast Protection of Evil through a wild surge on my PC, and got: "Neera- Wild Surge: Polymorphed". This instantly killed her, the very next line being "Neera- Death". Moreover, it chunked her completely, making her impossible to resurrect. I don't even know what the intended behavior here is supposed to be.

Comments

• ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    There was no problem for a while than everytime I use Nahals it does something different.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Could you provide some more info about this problem?
    Hmm. First I used nahal there came the nabassau wild surge. I reloaded then used the spell again this time with ws:+4 rolls but nothing happened. Reload again. Wild surge: invisibility, nothing but little flame effect on my character and the target. I tried to cast magic missile every time. After I reached nashkel I tried gain this time with improved chaos shield and now the healing wild surge worked. So it could be some minor glitch.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    If you see some effects not working try and give a detailed report. Its possible that some Wild surges are not doing what they should or are displaying the wrong message.
    Tanthalas said:

If you see some effects not working try and give a detailed report. Its possible that some Wild surges are not doing what they should or are displaying the wrong message.

I will.
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2012
    Used Nahals and in the combat log, it said Self:Intoxicated or something like that and Neera got the chaos gfx above her head, but I could still control her and she actually got hasted. As in, the combat log didn't say anything about haste, but that's the only effect I could see she got except the pointless chaos above head gfx.
    Tanthalas said:

Not a wildsurge, but a wild mage thing: I've noticed that the casting level increasing/decreasing is quite rare and when my level 2 wildmage lost a casting level he will still shoot two magic missiles instead of one.
    But NOT everytime!
    Please confirm is it a bug or rebalance?

I have screenshots from both cases.

• DrEastDrEast Member Posts: 113
    Did you check inside your gem bag for the wild surged gems? I've had some odd behaviors with her and that bag, but I'm not sure it's the same bug, and I couldn't reproduce it.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited November 2012
    Sometimes you get more than one wild surge in a row, so polymorph+death is not strange, just very very very sorry. As Neera would say if she could.

Gems not appearing or sex change not happening (or the text appearing just too many times) is definitely a bug.

Posted in bug tracker.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Merged wild surge mix-up threads. The two posts above mine are responding to the OP, the rest are from the other thread.
  • torimarutorimaru Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed when using wild magic that many of the surges have no effect. In particular I've noticed the "Roll 'x' times" and "Spell cast normally" have no effect for me.
  • ThomasMinkThomasMink Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2012
    So I've been playing for a bit with Neera in my party. I never used a wild mage before, so I opted to take her along instead of Dynaheir or Edwin.
    That said, I've noticed that a bunch of the surges aren't doing anything.. with another having a vastly different effect than what it said it should be.

I'm not sure if it's effect 7 or 85 (caster/target sex changed, respectively).. but she did get a sex change surge. What happened instead was a weird effect. It was as if she had cast the spell confusion in terms of spell effects, and the effect 'chained' off the original target and hit others in the area. Instead of changing sex, it did minor damage to everyone who failed a save.

Effect 72 (Flesh to Stone on target) did nothing. The target could have perhaps made a save (maybe), I dunno.. seems unlikely at that low a level (2-ish), but perhaps possible?

Effect 73 (Spell fired. Caster also recuperated as if rested) didn't seem to do anything. It may have recuperated Neera, but she was already at full hp when casting so I didn't readily notice a change. However, the spell didn't go off as advertised. This could have been effect 49 (Caster recuperates as if he rested), but I do remember the surge specifying that the spell should have went off.

Effect 99 (Spell cast at double level) also did nothing. The spell didn't fire at all.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Ye I've experienced similar issues.
  • morganrlmorganrl Member Posts: 1
    I've been noting this too. It seems to me that the only surges that actually happen are:
    Gems on the target
    Fireball on self or target
    Explosion on self
    Random spell cast
    Caster level fluctuation

Expected behaviour: Wild surges do what they say.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    "Spell cast normally" - you mean, the intended spell was not cast at all? Or it was just cast normally, like there is no wild surge.
  • ThomasMinkThomasMink Member Posts: 25
    Guess I should mention the ones that I've also seen work properly, just for the sake of doing so... :)
    Effect 15 (Caster hasted)
    Effect 27.. or perhaps 84 (Silence 15'.. either centered on caster or target, I don't readily recall)
    Effect 28 (Caster dizzy)
    Effect 30 (Pretty sparkles! ...No other effect)

The Goodberries and Gems one went off as well, but those were in fights that I ended up reloading due to a death.. so I didn't check the inventory to see if anything was placed into it.
    I can't remember the names/numbers but the effect where the spell is fired twice happened to me but it wasn't cast once.
  • Mr_SrslyMr_Srsly Member Posts: 3
    I have been experiencing quite a few issues with Neera since completing Nashkel mines. Her wild surges seem to be triggering quite a few fancy spell effects, but doing absolutely nothing (except for cancelling the actual spell more often than not). The only ones that seemed to work so far were the caster level decreases or increases as well as more negative effects ( i.e. caster stunned).
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I, too, have had issues with Neera's wild surges. Not sure if rolling my own wild mage would have the same results or if they're specific to Neera. Off the top of my head, I've had the "spell fired twice" effect and lightning bolt effect both do absolutely nothing. I think I also missed out on the Goodberry effect. I have, however, had the recuperate/spell fired effect work properly.
  • AsthnerAsthner Member Posts: 83
    I’m not keeping track on Neera’s wild surges, but I just had the Goodberries one and I can at least confirm that it works for me. A lot of the other ones don’t though, so I’m just writing this to possibly take Goodberries of the bugged wild surges list. ;)
  • Playing multiplayer and having Nerra plus a rolled wild mage in the same party I can confirm that the wild surges are broken for both, the rolled mage got the sex change and it created an explosion around the caster? Most though seem broken and don't do anything.
    The "monsters summoned" one is also broken
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I've previously had berries both succeed and fail, and any number of times the spell seems it should have cast, but didn't.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I've had the 'gems' one a couple times, and as far as I could tell nothing actually happened.
    TJ_Hooker said:

I've had the 'gems' one a couple times, and as far as I could tell nothing actually happened.

Also got that one recently, no effect.
  • Dalis918Dalis918 Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2012
    I've noticed that any time I get a wild surge it gives a fancy animation but nothing else. I've had a Roll Twice come up and nothing happened at all, for example. I can also confirm the Gems! Wild Surge does nothing.

Edit: I have also experienced a wild surge while using innate bhaalspawn abilities such as cure light wounds, or larloch's minor drain. Pretty sure they shouldn't surge.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    iPad version (original app store release)

whenever I use Neera's Reckless Dweomer, a wild surge happens, but the description does not seem to match the effect at all. I'll get something like "Monsters summoned" but instead I see a Globe of Invulnerability-type effect appear on both Neera and my target (Bassilus in this case). Another time I got "Sex change" but no one's sex actually changed (I think instead I ended up killing Rasaad somehow).
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    Whoops I just realized the issue has already been posted: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8755/wild-surge-mixups#latest
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    Same problem here. Neera's Wild surge "roll 4 more times" did not do anything for me at all, except it caused the stoneskin animation (floating sword swinging down) to appear on the target area (tried to cast a sleep spell)