Skip to content

Wild Areas and BG2:EE

mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
One of the things that most bothered me in BG2 ( exept of course the awuful paperdolls and spacey NPC/PC animation ) is that Unlike BG1, there were no wild areas to explore, there was no freedom of movment in the wold map.

BG2 has a huge woldmap with alot of potential places to explore, why keep them empty??

is BG2:EE going to add some wild areas to the game???

Comments

• WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I can't agree more man, this remains the chief reason to why I rate BG1 higher than BG2... ideally, they would fill the map with wilderness areas that you *have to* pass through in order to reach places like Windspear Hills or Trademeet, just like in BG1.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    The reason BG:II is empty is because of Amn. The game is no shorter, there are less places to go but you have so much content in a small space.

However, I don't think there is much to offer in BG:II other than a great story. They need those huge fields to go with it. Amn is like milk without the cereal you know? I vote for the entire map filled with areas.
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2012
    Agreed. Forest areas of BG I delt "vast" in quantities that have been easy to miss ever since. I always loved the feeling of getting borderline lost and all but swallowed in depths of these seemingly eternal piles of pine trees.

BG I also has a storyline that complements this well; there are a number of moments in storyline where disappearing in depths of unmapped forests sounds like a pretty solid idea. From POV of RP and immersion, this provides an excellent framework for exploring them maps and turning them stones. BG II has more constant sense of urgency going, at least in case you decide you care of what happens to Imoen. Result just doesn't make as calm marriage of storyline and exploration.
    Post edited by Stradlin on
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

However, I don't think there is much to offer in BG:II other than a great story. They need those huge fields to go with it. Amn is like milk without the cereal you know? I vote for the entire map filled with areas.
    the Milk and cereals is a good analogy, as you can see in the picture, half of the world map is EMPTY. and I always wondered what is the place with the tents, and what there is near the lake, interesting places to explore...

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    So MANY possibilities.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Well, especially for multiplayer mode more wilderness areas would be great. So generally I'd agree, but, I'm not sure whether the devs actually have so much leeway in adding new content.
    Can one of the devs please add where the theoretical limits for adding content are? Possibly even making a not to be overseen anouncement? That might spare us a lot of nice but undable suggestions - and actually emphasize nice AND doable suggestions.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    As an aside, I love the BG2 world map because of how insane it is. Entire mountain ranges clearly defined in earlier maps of Faerun are just missing.

Don't get me started on the ToB map... it makes even less sense.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    @PhillipDaigle You should have a look at the BP-BGT Worldmap mod for ideas if you are going to redraw it (though I doubt it).
    I demand a Descent into an abandoned dwarve mine that hides an ancient evil hidden in the cloud peaks. An ancient evil temple cult in the depths of the snake wood would also be acceptable :)
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I want to explore the trollmountains!
    Giants plain sounds fun too!
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I remember one of my games where I was a Druid, I just said "screw this" to the main plot immediately after leaving Candlekeep and went wandering around protecting nature in the wild areas for absolutely ages, I don't think I even returned to an urban area until I was level 5, and that was only because I was transported there by the Brage quest. IIRC I was eventually sucked back into the main plot when I accidentally went down that secret mine exit in the desert area with all the tombs. That's what I love about the first Baldur's Gate, there's so many ways to experience it.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    The original Baldur's Gate was, and still is, special for this and many other reasons. However, had the developers tried too hard to recreate the same thing with Baldur's Gate II, the latter wouldn't have been the success it has. When you release something great, the worst thing you can do is try too hard to do the same all over again. If you do, you will fail for the simple reason that you set the bar too high. This is why the devs felt it more appropriate to do something different with Baldur's Gate II, and still make it awesome. Apparently, their mission was accomplished.

I'm saying this as a gamer who loves both games but likes the first Baldur's Gate better, just so you know.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    The original Baldur's Gate was, and still is, special for this and many other reasons. However, had the developers tried too hard to recreate the same thing with Baldur's Gate II, the latter wouldn't have been the success it has. When you release something great, the worst thing you can do is try too hard to do the same all over again. If you do, you will fail for the simple reason that you set the bar too high. This is why the devs felt it more appropriate to do something different with Baldur's Gate II, and still make it awesome. Apparently, their mission was accomplished.

I'm saying this as a gamer who loves both games but likes the first Baldur's Gate better, just so you know.
    @AndreaColombo You are right in someway, and I know its not realistic to change BG2 and make it like BG1, because it will require alot of addional areas and balancing the game accordingly. I just hope that if they will make a New game or bg3 they will take the wilderness areas in consideration.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 23
    With the announcement of BG:EE I have been trying to understand what it is about Baldur's Gate that makes it so amazing and stand out among modern video games. I wanted so much to love Dragon Age: Origins, but it just didn't capture me like Baldur's Gate did. There are many reasons, obviously, but one of them was the ability to explore the wilderness as you can in BG. Being able to go from area to area, without needing a quest marker or anything there. More than that, the ability to explore the entire map made it so real for me... there weren't just a few paths cut out of the forest that you had to stay on, you could just explore! I recently played Baldur's Gate 2 for the nth time, and was a bit sad that the same wilderness areas didn't exist. However, I agree with @Drugar, Baldur's Gate 2 is a separate game, and those wilderness areas just wouldn't make as much sense, or be quite as fun.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    As an aside, I love the BG2 world map because of how insane it is. Entire mountain ranges clearly defined in earlier maps of Faerun are just missing.

Don't get me started on the ToB map... it makes even less sense.
    @PhillipDaigle Just saw this. Anyways, The TOB map is just flipped 90 degrees.
  • Jaxx86Jaxx86 Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2012
    @mch202 I love the diagram of empty space and I couldn't agree with the OP more. The Enhanced Editions are looking to add more content. It only makes sense they would add a few wild areas with side quests in those blank spaces.
  • Bend3Bend3 Member Posts: 19
    I believe a compromise could be had here. So please, hear me out.

If they added a few small areas similar to the 3 wild areas opened after
    exiting the underdark
    , as in smaller areas, rather then the full size (as in BG1) it would feel less like a map scanning bit, and more like you were meant to be there, even if the lake in the north of the map were opened up as a simple fisherman's cottage where you meet an old man with some basic goods for sale, or something along those lines. It would be a nice little asside to add more of a WORLD feel rather then the "here are the designated plot areas, please enjoy them as they unlock" kind of feel.
  • Bend3Bend3 Member Posts: 19
    Another bit I would like to add is that perhaps opening up as I already said, smaller areas, but that unlock as you complete certain quests, such as if you become the
    leader of Nalia's Keep
    then it would open up 3 new zones to check out. Perhaps the area that
    flooded and you were asked to pay for the repairs/damages
    . Again, just a thought to add more "flavor" to the BG2 map.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Another bit I would like to add is that perhaps opening up as I already said, smaller areas, but that unlock as you complete certain quests, such as if you become the
    leader of Nalia's Keep
    then it would open up 3 new zones to check out. Perhaps the area that
    flooded and you were asked to pay for the repairs/damages
    . Again, just a thought to add more "flavor" to the BG2 map.
    Right makes sense to me. The stronghold quests are all about text for the most part, it would be nice to be able to visit the areas that they are talking about and see the farmers and the bandits or whatever is being described.

• AnoAno Member Posts: 4
    Hmmm

I feel they should rather add more content in Throne of Bhaal with regards to BG2. I feel BG2 was quite well balanced with quests and felt ToB was rather empty, The devs could possibly do what they feel like as well since it's at the end of the game and adjusting the difficulty would probably be easier than trying to rebalance amn. There's supposed to be a war going on, I'm sure there's got to be more places than Saradush that need help.
  • WazDuluthWazDuluth Member Posts: 8
    What is this, Skyrim? Who do you think you are? JK. I agree to a degree. Not too many more areas please. It takes away form the sexual majesty that is it's story line.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Hmmm

I feel they should rather add more content in Throne of Bhaal with regards to BG2. I feel BG2 was quite well balanced with quests and felt ToB was rather empty, The devs could possibly do what they feel like as well since it's at the end of the game and adjusting the difficulty would probably be easier than trying to rebalance amn. There's supposed to be a war going on, I'm sure there's got to be more places than Saradush that need help.
    I agree, I understand Throne of Bhaal is an expansion, but I see no reason why it cant have more extra places to explore, more side quests, and perhaps more things for Cespenar to build.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    edited July 2012
    I honestly prefer BG2 locations, every one of which is unique, to generic BG1 wilderness locations. It's awesome that there's an in-game reason for every dungeon-crawl in BG2. You're always on a quest to thwart some nefarious plot or discover some shadowy conspiracy in BG2. I'd take a long dungeon-crawl to destroy a beholder-worshipping cult over aimless exploration of a wilderness area any day of the week. We don't need more Skyrims and Oblivions.

One of the amazing things about BG is how the things your are doing within the game at level 5 are so different from the things you're doing at level 15. As @Drugar said, "lawnmowing" random wilderness locations is beneath a 15th lvl party. In BG2 you're facing enemies that would wipe the floor with you had you encountered them 5 xp lvls lower. When you meet Drizzt in BG1, you're in awe of his skill but you know that the challenges he faces are equally awesome. You knew what was in store for BG2 before even playing it; powerful enemies like dragons, liches and vampires and not just higher level generic bandits in full plates +2 and kobolds with +3 bows. Encountering a lich or a dragon in a forest is not very likely.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    mch202 said:

One of the things that most bothered me in BG2 ( exept of course the awuful paperdolls and spacey NPC/PC animation ) is that Unlike BG1, there were no wild areas to explore, there was no freedom of movment in the wold map.

BG2 has a huge woldmap with alot of potential places to explore, why keep them empty??

is BG2:EE going to add some wild areas to the game???

I agree with you completely. BG2 was greatly lacking in explorable areas. The one thing I like to do in games is explore. BG2 was limited in that.