Skip to content

Sound stopped working with BG EE and BG II EE after upgrade

My sound to these two games was working fine but ever since I upgraded to the latest version of PopOS!, the sound no longer works. I am guessing one of the needed files was over written but not sure which one. After some research I found a couple things but neither worked.

1. sudo apt-get install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686
Gives me an error
Couldn't find any package by glob 'alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686'

2. Downloaded openai-soft-1.23.1-bin.zip and placed soft_oal.dll inside my steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder and renamed the file to openai32.dll

Any other things I can try? As in the details above, I run on Linux (ubuntu based) and use steam.

Sincerely,

KS

Comments

• kstevens1967kstevens1967 Member Posts: 2
    Just in case someone else has this issue, ChatGPT gave me the solution and everything is working again. Thank you ChatGPT!

Update Audio Drivers:
    It's possible that your sound drivers were affected during the upgrade. To ensure you have the latest drivers, you can update your system's audio drivers. The method for doing this varies depending on your Linux distribution. On Debian/Ubuntu-based systems, you can use the following command to update all system packages, including audio drivers:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade