Skip to content

I can't level up 1 character - IWDEE

Okay, so I created my party based on some presets I found online. The character in question I want to dual class as a Fighter/Mage, but for now is just a level 1 Fighter. Then I got enough XP to level him up, clicked level up and encountered this bug where it asked to put 1 point into a proficiency. So thinking it maybe the proficiency, I went on NearInfinity and edited the proficiencies down to just 1 pip but as you can see in the image, that still doesn't work. xqhnfnxz0f6i.jpg

I had a quick look on NearInfinity to see if I could level him up via that but can't find how to edit the level of a character. Google is providing no answers to both of these issues.

The first issue I actually encountered on BGEE - I wanted to test how op a level 15 character at the start would be and used the console to add the required XP. But I was asked to put a pip into a proficiency yet it blocked me from doing so. That same character I later levelled to 10 successfully after removing the XP cap.

Comments

• TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 573
    Did you mod your game? I don't remember blunt or missile proficiency in IWDEE.
  • xCeeTeexCeeTee Member Posts: 4
    Trouveur wrote: »
    Did you mod your game? I don't remember blunt or missile proficiency in IWDEE.

Yeah, since I was importing a BG character I thought I'd use CDTweaks to make the proficiency system the same, as well as a couple of other things like fast walking speed.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 573
    Why import a level 1 BG character in IWD? It would be safer to just create a new one.
    I would also try again with a clean install.
  • xCeeTeexCeeTee Member Posts: 4
    Trouveur wrote: »
    Why import a level 1 BG character in IWD? It would be safer to just create a new one.
    I would also try again with a clean install.

She's level 19, it's a different character entirely. What I'm saying is I only decided to use NearInfinity because I needed it due to an issue with a proficiency changing in BG2 for some reason. I'm only saying that because there's someone on another forum is crying about me using NearInfinity lol
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    edited September 2023
    I'm having the same problem in BGEE going from level two to level three with a fighter. The fighter has one proficiency point to spend, but is unable to spend the point anywhere. His level up screen looks normal, though. Not sure why it'd be related, but I had doubled the Maximum Frame Rate line in my Baldur.lua file in document folder (from the default "30" to "60"). It was the only change that I could think of where I was having problems, so I tried editing that line back to "30" and it seemed to fix the leveling up problem. To be clear the line that I edited was: SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Maximum Frame Rate','60'). The "60" is "30" by default.

Edit: A second fighter in my party reached 3rd level and ran into the same issue. This time I further tested "45" and "50" for the Maximum Frame Rate settings. I was able to level up normally using "45", but ran into the same problem with "50". I had read somewhere years back (before the enhanced editions) that setting this line above "45" could possibly cause some cutscene bugs, but i had never seen any with it set at "60". It seems that this level up bug is another odd occurrence that can break if set above "45".

Edit II: Jaheira was just unable to level up at 3rd level with this set to "45". I was able to level her up just fine with it set at "30", but I'm unsure now if this bug is related at all to the Maximum Frame Rate setting or not. In all cases, I've been able to level up with it set at "30", but I've been unable to level up consistantly with it set at "45", "50", and at "60". I'm going to leave it at "30" and see if I continue experiencing this bug. I've never run into this issue before, but this is the first time that I've edited this line with BGEE's latest patch. Again, I'm unsure now if it's related at all, but it's the only change that I've made and it's the first time that I've run into this problem.
    Post edited by Jidokwon on