Skip to content

Want to do a three man party

Likle title says.
Should I give all of them ranged weapons?
Does a Sorcerer fit in such a small party?
Just tell me which classes fit into such a party...

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,167
    Even at three I would want someone to melee and draw fire. One character a maximum tank. Although for the record, I’ve decided over the years that I don’t enjoy such small parties much; so someone else may have better advice!
  • Sloty1984Sloty1984 Member Posts: 147
    What do you think about:
    F/M/C
    Dwarven Defender
    Sorcerer

Which are the most important spells for a Sorcerer?
    I like the Dwarven Defender in there! No thief? Admittedly not a huge thing in IWD, but I might consider a gnome C/T in place of the triple.
    I’m not a fan of Sorcerers for exactly the question you asked! You get locked into spell choices. Although with a three character party you will be leveling up fast. I usually mix offensive and defensive spells, there is always so much fire coming your way in IWD you’ll want Mirror Image, Blur, Stone Skin for your unarmored caster. The anti-magic thing isn’t as big a deal as in BG2, so I like a lot of damage dealing spells. Summons will also be helpful with a smaller party. I like the unique 4th level Vitriolic Sphere.
    Surprisingly I don’t like Haste in IWD, it causes immediate fatigue when it runs out. Which will happen often in bigger fights. But Improved Haste is much better.

Sorry, just a lot of opining there! You know there’s a lot of different ways of running these things. And my own bias is towards smashing things up. A big thing to remember, apart from the much bigger size of many battles, is that you’ll be facing hoards of undead. And more than a few trolls! So fire will often serve you well.
    What do you think about adding an archer to them three?
    please???
    Adding an archer will help in a lot of battles, but there are two specific challenges with an archer in IWD to be aware of. The first is just that magic ammunition is often in short supply, not that you should ever run out IF you stock up on it at every opportunity. Literally every merchant, buy all the magic ammo. Closely related to that, all your guys should use different missile weapons or you will have serious problems. The other is that you’ll be facing A LOT of undead, and all the skeletal sorts will take reduced damage from missiles. So you’ll want an archer to target the “meatier” undead if there’s a choice.
    The other question to consider is what sort of archer? The Ranger-Archer is extremely good with their bow (or crossbow), but not so good in melee. And with a small party you will have more situations where your party is overwhelmed and the rear rank characters will be forced to melee… so it *might* be worth considering an unkitted fighter. I recently did this with a single class Halfling fighter, who finished up with Grand Mastery in Sling and Short Sword. A surprisingly effective character in a range of situations. Not quite as good with the missiles as a Ranger-Archer, but much better in close quarters.
    I have a mod whit it I can give kits to multiclass characters.
    Which kit (if any) would you give to the F/M/C?
    Honestly I wouldn’t kit any of those.
  • oakheartoakheart Member Posts: 65
    I'd go with Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Druid & Mage/Thief. The F/C can be swapped out with a paladin.