Skip to content

what are these sentences mean?

I'm working on the SOD Chinese language pack, this time the gnome Hoach Randymonk, the Cobbler in the Bridgefort, likes to use "reckon" as his talking style, and I don't know how to translate some sentences to chinese language. what are "Reckon y'are at that", "Reckon they do at that", "Reckon it is at that" mean?

v2r5mzvg5515.jpg

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 582
    https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/reckon

The gnome's talking very informal. So 49660/49708/49712 is "You are/It is correct." or "You can say that." or a very idiom-filled Chinese equvivalent - I don't know Chinese to suggest imaginitive responses to that. (Keep in mind that 49712 is a response to "Sieges do tend to negatively affect business.")

49756 is also somewhere between the agreement and "Guess I should do that".
  • SilentSwordSilentSword Member Posts: 49
    https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/reckon

The gnome's talking very informal. So 49660/49708/49712 is "You are/It is correct." or "You can say that." or a very idiom-filled Chinese equvivalent - I don't know Chinese to suggest imaginitive responses to that. (Keep in mind that 49712 is a response to "Sieges do tend to negatively affect business.")

49756 is also somewhere between the agreement and "Guess I should do that".

thank you for your reply, I got it
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,872
    If there's a regional accent with the right associations, try to put that in. Checking with the voiced lines, Hoach's English is in an (American) Southern accent. Unhurried, rural by connotation. Whatever all this fuss is about, he doesn't have any reason to rush.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,331
    edited October 2023
    Fascinating question! I just wanted to emphasize a little of what was already said. It’s not only rural and very casual, it suggests an uneducated speaker. But I think it’s often used deliberately enough that anyone might use it, especially if they are trying to be disarming or friendly. The word “reckon” specifically does have more correct and technical applications (“Dead Reckoning” is a specific type of mostly aerial navigation); built its whole application here is informal.
    Post edited by atcDave on