Skip to content

WeiDU Install Tool: A graphical front end for installing WeiDU mods

argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,439
edited November 2023 in General Modding
WeiDU Install Tool - A graphical front end for WeiDU Mods.

Download
Readme
Discussion on G3 Forums

wit-main-and-details-dark.png

Overview

WeiDU Install Tool (WIT) is a graphical front end for WeiDU to install modifications for Infinity Engine games, such as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or Planescape Torment.

The tool offers all the functionality of the WeiDU command line tool as well as many usability improvements and convenience features to help with the mod installation task. It is meant as a replacement or alternative to the setup executables that are included in most mod archives, but can also be used for more general WeiDU operations. It is not intended to be a full-fledged mod manager like Project Infinity.

The tool is available for Windows (installer, portable zip), Linux (RPM and DEB packages, portable tarball) and macOS (PKG archive, portable tarball).

Features

Tp2 Mod File Association:
The installer versions of the WeiDU Install Tool automatically associate* tp2 mod files with the application which allows you to quickly and conveniently install mods from the file manager without having to deal with setup executables. Alternatively mods can be opened directly in the application.

* Not available on macOS.

Drag and Drop support:
This feature allows you to drop tp2 files or the mod folders themselves onto an open WeiDU Install Tool instance to initiate the mod installation process if no other mod is currently being installed. It is available for installer and portable versions.

Customizations:
The application provides a number of customization options, which includes:
  • Displaying UI text and messages in the user's native language if available
  • Toggling between light and dark mode UI on-the-fly
  • Setting output text size and character encoding
  • Showing visual hints about the installation state
  • Warnings about potential mod conflicts
  • Customizing the mod installation process

More features are planned for later.

Installation

The application is available as installers for Windows, Linux and macOS which set up start menu and desktop icons as well as file associations* with tp2 mod files. Alternatively, it is available as portable zip or tarball archives. A Flatpack version for Linux is planned for later.

* Not available on macOS.

Supported platforms

Windows:
- 64-bit Windows 7 and later

Linux:
- x86-64 architecture
- a graphical window manager or desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon Desktop, ...)

macOS:
- x86-64 architecture
- official support since macOS 11, but will most likely also run on older versions

Credits

Weidu Install Tool © 2023 by Argent77.

Translations:
- English: Argent77
- German: Argent77 (Proofreading: Shai Hulud)
- French: JohnBob
- Brazilian Portuguese: Felipe
- Russian: abalabokhin

More translations are always welcome. Translation is handled similarly to how mods provide multiple languages. Please let me know if you're interested here or on G3 Forums in this topic or via private message.
Post edited by argent77 on

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,439
    A new release candidate is available: WeiDU Install Tool v0.10.2

Changelog:
    • Added Brazilian Portuguese translation (by Felipe).
    • Added warning dialog if a mod is installed from a path outside of the game directory.
    • Reduced likelihood of connection failure for the WeiDU binary download operation.
    • Improved Ini parser to properly handle malformed Project Infinity metadata:
      • Correctly handle multiline mod descriptions
      • Fix erroneously detected comment prefixes inside BEFORE/AFTER definitions
    edited October 2023
    New release candidate: WeiDU Install Tool v0.10.3

This will probably be the last release candidate before a stable release.

Changelog:
    • Added option to create debug files of mod installations in a user-defined folder instead of the game directory.
    • Added option to auto-apply performance or diagnostic parameters to mod installations:
      • Performance: --quick-log
      • Performance: --safe-exit
      • Diagnostic: --print-backtrace
      • Diagnostic: --debug-ocaml
      • Diagnostic: --debug-boiic
      • Diagnostic: --debug-change
      • Apply user-defined set of parameters
    • Fixed issues with mixed-case paths on Linux which resulted in failures to retrieve mod components info.
    • Improved parsing of Project Infinity metadata:
      • Added support for C-style comments and Windows-style comments

• Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 331
    How’s the speed? OG Weidu takes forever.
    Allanon81 wrote: »
    How’s the speed? OG Weidu takes forever.

The install tool uses WeiDU in the background, so the actual mod installation performance would be the same. The tool executes WeiDU without performing any auto-update checks, however, which reduces the starting time quite a bit.

Enabling the performance options that were introduced by the latest release you can also speed up the end of a mod installation a bit when WeiDU updates the WeiDU.log, at the cost of not having descriptive comments with the mod component names.
    First stable version released: WeiDU Install Tool v1.0.0

See the first post of this topic for an overview of features and supported platforms.

Changelog:
    • First stable release
    • Added Russian translation (by abalabokhin)
    • Fixed typos and cosmetic issues
  • Psyko_tikPsyko_tik Member Posts: 13
    It's a good idea... but a killer feature would be an automatised install from weidu.log.
    This would allow to install a new bg after updating the mods and having a fresh install without having to manually install every mod.
    Psyko_tik wrote: »
    It's a good idea... but a killer feature would be an automatised install from weidu.log.
    This would allow to install a new bg after updating the mods and having a fresh install without having to manually install every mod.

An option to perform unattended mod installations is already on my to-do list, which also includes importing mod setups from the WeiDU.log.

Keep in mind though that this app is just a graphical front end for WeiDU mod. It is not meant to automate full mod installations like PI.
  • Psyko_tikPsyko_tik Member Posts: 13
    Looking forward for the completion of your to-do list :)
    PI hasn't been updated in 18 months, so I guess its development is more or less stopped, unfortunately.
  • KarrgootKarrgoot Member Posts: 26
    I got a steam deck and I want to play baldur's gate ee on it. The problem is, if i install a fresh game on my computer and modd it to my as I want it and copy and past on to my steam deck, witch i have forced to install the Windows version of baldur's gate ee i get error messenges in items, spells and dialogs that are mod related... I guess i have to install the mods via my steam deck...

But I cant for sum casesenetive crap... I do not get it and i seams linux users love this future for it has not be fixed.

Will your WeiDU Install Tool allow me to install mods on my steam deck?
    Karrgoot wrote: »
    I got a steam deck and I want to play baldur's gate ee on it. The problem is, if i install a fresh game on my computer and modd it to my as I want it and copy and past on to my steam deck, witch i have forced to install the Windows version of baldur's gate ee i get error messenges in items, spells and dialogs that are mod related... I guess i have to install the mods via my steam deck...

But I cant for sum casesenetive crap... I do not get it and i seams linux users love this future for it has not be fixed.

Will your WeiDU Install Tool allow me to install mods on my steam deck?

Unfortunately modding these games on Linux does only work correctly on case-insensitive installations. There is no way around it, even with the WeiDU Install Tool.

There are several options how to accomplish this:
    1. Use casefolding on a ext4 partition (my personal recommendation)
      This method is relatively easy to set up. See this post for detailed instructions: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/28516-the-linux-users-guide-to-installing-mods-on-the-enhanced-editions/?do=findComment&comment=271476
    2. Use ciopfs: This method is a bit convoluted and unintuitive to use as it requires to set up two folders for the game.
      See this guide for detailed instructions: https://moebiusproject.gitlab.io/mods_on_linux
    3. Use a zfs-formatted partition with the respective casesensitivity option enabled.
      I've never tested this option since zfs is usually not available by default on Linux distros and requires additional software to be installed before it can be used.
    4. Use a jfs-formatted partition with a case-insensitive mount option
      JFS is a niche filesystem on Linux and may not be available on your distro.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 331
    Will this run on 32-bit like winXP? Or can it be made to?
    Allanon81 wrote: »
    Will this run on 32-bit like winXP? Or can it be made to?

Unfortunately not. The runtime required to launch the tool is not available for 32-bit Windows systems anymore.