Skip to content

only magic missile and burning hands in dynaheir spellbook

I begin SOD and find that only magic missile and burning hands in dynaheir(level 8) spellbook.

9213n4ex5iir.jpg
7e1qo7r5fh6j.jpg
tsralpgjdtfn.jpg

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,834
    I think I can guess what happened.

- Back in BG1, you rescued Dynaheir. You had between 4K and 8K experience at the time, so she leveled up to level 2.
    - When you recruited her, she didn't gain any new spells. Those are the two spells she starts with at level 1, and she only gets additional spells if that initial trigger boosts her to level 3 or higher.
    - You memorized an additional instance of Magic Missile in her open spell slot. Then you dismissed her. You didn't teach her any new spells from scrolls.
    - You recruited her again in SoD. Since she'd been in the party before, the game picked up her old version and transported it to the new campaign area.
    - Dynaheir got another "catch up" trigger; with between 90K and 110K protagonist XP in SoD, this brings her to 90K XP. Enough to reach level 8.
    - The SoD joining trigger does not give mages any new spells, regardless of their level. Their spellbook stays the same.

So now you have a level 8 Dynaheir with a nearly empty spellbook, and no way to use her higher-level spell slots. What can you do? You have her learn new spells from scrolls. Plenty of scrolls are found in the course of adventuring, and you can buy more to fill the gaps - Belegarm has a very large selection.
  • SilentSwordSilentSword Member Posts: 45
    jmerry wrote: »
    I think I can guess what happened.

- Back in BG1, you rescued Dynaheir. You had between 4K and 8K experience at the time, so she leveled up to level 2.
    - When you recruited her, she didn't gain any new spells. Those are the two spells she starts with at level 1, and she only gets additional spells if that initial trigger boosts her to level 3 or higher.
    - You memorized an additional instance of Magic Missile in her open spell slot. Then you dismissed her. You didn't teach her any new spells from scrolls.
    - You recruited her again in SoD. Since she'd been in the party before, the game picked up her old version and transported it to the new campaign area.
    - Dynaheir got another "catch up" trigger; with between 90K and 110K protagonist XP in SoD, this brings her to 90K XP. Enough to reach level 8.
    - The SoD joining trigger does not give mages any new spells, regardless of their level. Their spellbook stays the same.

So now you have a level 8 Dynaheir with a nearly empty spellbook, and no way to use her higher-level spell slots. What can you do? You have her learn new spells from scrolls. Plenty of scrolls are found in the course of adventuring, and you can buy more to fill the gaps - Belegarm has a very large selection.

You are absolutely correct. that was what I did in BG1 :(
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,834
    Incidentally, if you'd never recruited Dynaheir in the BG1 campaign, or if you'd started from SoD, you'd get a version of her that comes with useful gear (a +1 staff and sling, various magic bullets, bracers of AC, a cloak of protection, etc.) and thirty spells in her spellbook topping out at Cloudkill and Sunfire.
    The only way you end up with NPCs that need everything in SoD is if you recruit them at low level in BG1 and leave them behind without giving them stuff.