Skip to content

See you in SoD

SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
Here we are endgame. I made it almost there. Only Durlag Tower remains about to tackle it and we are ready for SoD (blind as I never played past BG1)

My bounty hunter elf is max level already. I didn't farm, I didn't solo, I was with full party from level 1 and yet I reached the cap even before Durlag....plenty of XP in BG1. In fact the whole party is max level by now.

All my thieving skills (except Detect Illusion) are at 60-70 max intentionally because there are many items in SoD and BG2 that further increase thieving to 100. I was careful not to over-dedicate the points because many of them are useless above 100%. All is intentional. Currently I am raising Dedect Illusion, this thief will shine in BG2 with ALL thieving points to 100 by level 15.

The whole game I had a second thief in the party, half of the game it was Imoen, and mid to late game it was Coran who maxed Find Traps for Durlag (since I am at 60% intentionally).

I played BG1 only once before to the end with a berserker and I remeber once you defeat Sarevok the game ends and transfers to SoD automatically. All preparations must be done before this battle. I have a few questions

- Does money transfer ?
- Do potions and arrows transfer ?
- Do spell scrolls transfer, I can buy some high level spells ?
- As far as I know all equipment transfers but which equipment and also where will I find it ? Is it the equipment from inventory in the active party or even the items from non-active party memebrs (who I park in the Friendly Arm Inn). They hold tons of equipment too, so if that doesn't transfer I better sell it and load up on expensive arrows and potions, or keep the money if money transfers too.
- Any final advice regarding items before the transfer ? I used all the tomes on MC except the tome of Wisdom which I spent for Branwen since Wisdom has no effect on my thief at all.

gg8p3k01nq8k.png

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,872
    With the automatic transfer, everything you're carrying and your money transfer. Including the contents of your containers; it's just like the transition from SoA to ToB.

Anything you weren't carrying is out of reach for good, unless it was on one of the NPCs that comes back in SoD. While the first chapter's areas are places you've been before in the big city, they're not actually the same areas and you can't smuggle items forward through them.

However, about that money you were carrying? Your only chance to spend it is with the Flaming Fist healer in the starting dungeon, and all they have worth buying is a bunch of consumables. After the starting dungeon, your party will leave. They'll take their equipment with them (gone if they don't show up again, on them if they do), and dump their inventories into a chest you can access. Your gold will also be removed, and you won't get it back in time to matter for anything. If you want to buy stuff in early SoD, bring a bunch of expensive jewelry to sell. If you sold your expensive jewelry, you can just buy it back (at a loss, but it's better than doing nothing with that money).
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    I am not very certain I get this right so just to confirm

Only SoD recruitable NPCs will transfer items. For example, Edwin will transfer but Branwen will not (so you will lose Branwen's equipment permanently). But how about Neera ? She is recruitable in SoD but she is not my active party during Sarevok fight.

Money transfers but is useless, therefore spend it all before Sarevok.

Containers transfer with the content inside (the bag, the book, and the potion case)
    If an NPC has never been in the party, the version you encounter in SoD will be the SoD version that starts well-equipped with 64K XP. If an NPC has ever been in the party at all, the version you encounter in SoD will be exactly as you last left them. Whether they were in the active party or not, as you transferred. Low levels aren't a big deal, here, as NPCs get a catch-up trigger when they join (250K XP maximum).

You've got the rest right.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,331
    I *think* items carried by characters who are not recruitable in SoD will all be in a chest (in the room where the main part of the SoD story starts). So the only items you loose, are those in the possession of characters in your party at the end of BG1 (through the opening dungeon of SoD) who are recruitable in SoD; that you do NOT recruit for SoD. This mostly means Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid, Savana and the EE characters. So in short, if you finish BG1 with any of these characters but do not want them for SoD, be sure you clean out their inventory by the end of the opening dungeon.
    But you do loose all your cash. It’s not a big deal if you keep a number of high value items with you through the opening dungeon that you can sell right away.

I’d also add, the loss of your money is handled in a rather amusing way. And there is no shortage of valuable treasure in the expansion. You’ll likely have an ample surplus again before you even leave the city.
    This is very problematic. My party consists of Branwen, Coran, Kagain - all three are non-SoD. So I will lose all their equipment if I take them to the final battler with Sarevok. Problem is these are all max level NPCs.

So I am forced to play Sarevok with other party members who are at most at level 5 currently.

This is ridiculous

Unless I am able to pause the game when Sarevok is defeated and move all items from non-SoD to Edwin and Dorn. Or maybe quickly dismiss Coran, Branwen, and Kagain. But I don't know how much time I have to do this after Sarevok is dead
    Anyone you bring with you to fight Sarevok will be there for the first SoD dungeon, with all their stuff intact. And you have plenty of time at the end of that dungeon to move things around so you have access to the best gear that you'll want on your new SoD party. No reason to try to rush that earlier, which wouldn't work anyway.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,596
    As jmerry says, SoD gives you a brief grace period with your final BG1 party. And there's no fight or enemy death trigger for ending that chapter. It's a dialogue option you can choose whenever, once the quest is completed. The key bit of advice I'd wish I had known is that you should hang on to any +3 weapons.

SoD with a thief protagonist will be fun imo. The companion thief options are limited to two choices. Take your time in each chapter and enjoy it!
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,331
    As others said, this isn’t really a problem. You have all the time you want to rearrange inventory before you exit that initial dungeon.
    edited November 2023
    Yes that is true. Even if party members die in the final battle with Sarevok, they will be resurrected, and their gear will be lying on the floor in the cell SoD starts. I just did it.

It takes 2 backstabs with the Staff of Striking to kill Sarevok with a thief.

I also found out that Semaj, Angelo, and Tazok don't drop anything cool so don't bother with them if you have a quick way to deal with Sarevok.