Skip to content

About to lose Haer Dalis/Aerie to duel

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 657
Aaargh. I picked up Haer Dalis too early with a romance with Aerie and my main character, and now a duel is about to start where I lose one or the other...

Does anyone know how I change the romance settings so that Aerie's romance continues with my main character, and Haer Dalis backs down gently and stays in the party? I really want both of them :)
Post edited by Dharius on

Comments

• DhariusDharius Member Posts: 657
    BTW, LoveTalk is currently at 31 for Aerie and 17 for Haery!
    PPS AerieRomanceActive is currently at 1 and Haery's is at 2!
    edited November 2023
    Having said that maybe I should just stand aside and let them have their romance.... :)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    If I remember correctly there is a dialogue option to refuse the duel and it is the better one, they both remain in the party and your romance is not brocken
    edited November 2023
    Nah sadly if you refuse Haery leaves forever broken hearted as Aerie chooses you.

The only way to keep both was to either agree to duel or back out of chasing Aerie altogether. They both lead to the same result which was they stay friends with you and in the party but Aerie's romance shifts fully to the bard.

Actually it's not a bad thing as I'd prefer having both in my party in this run as they've both been MVP's so far...there's always Neera I suppose, but I had that slot safe for Imoen later.

And the romance dialogs between Haer Dalis and Aerie are actually very good and well written, so it's not all bad.

I've heard the only way to get Haer Dalis to back down gracefully is if you and Aerie are more advanced in the romance (i.e. Active Status = 2 not 1) before he comes along.

Do you actually GAIN anything from Aerie's romance anyway, as you do with Jaheira or Viconia (extra items, XP etc.)?

Do you GAIN anything from the Neera, Hexxat or Dorn quests, for that matter?
    Post edited by Dharius on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2023
    Dharius wrote: »
    Do you actually GAIN anything from Aerie's romance anyway, as you do with Jaheira or Viconia (extra items, XP etc.)?
    a child
    and isn't that the best gift one can have?

That's a deep subject...

But in terms of game-related bonuses the only ones I know that provide minor benefits are Jaheira and Viconia (the only ones I've succeeded in)...

Does anyone know if any of the others provide bonuses?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I don't believe any of the Beamdog NPC's add any bonuses that you can't get without a romance.
    edited November 2023
    I don't think Anomen's does either, but I could be wrong - just extra dialogues around his original quest?

Anyhow I'm persisting with the HD/Aerie romance and it does have some interesting original poetry and philosophy on life (Aerie wants everything to last and HD is the opposite - quite profound really), but hey, she picked the wrong guy...
    edited November 2023
    no items no, but a romance isn't about that I think.
    don't you get Jaheiras's items regardless of romance? I think you even get them sooner.
    edited November 2023
    Yeah, you're right - the HD/Aerie romance is pretty interesting, and probably more dramatic than the one my own character would have had!

With Jaheira I think you get two bonuses:

* One extra encounter with bandits/warriors, giving minor XP and items, mostly non-magical and gold
    * A very big XP bonus for you if you complete Terminsel's quests favourably (need a certain high REP)

With Viconia you get one extra encounter:
    * An encounter with Lloth's servants which produces a fair amount of XP as well as 2 unique items that essentially Viconia only can use. They are rather useful for her at low/mid levels.

There are the only material bonuses I know you can get from romances (not including deep dialogue and children). Does anyone know of any more?
    oh my point was that those encountered happened already with them just being in the party, but perhaps I was mistaken about that.

But yes, relatively immaterial.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,326
    The best drama about the Aerie romance is how she wants to call your son Quayle and I'm like "Err, I don't think I want him named that." XD

In my headcanon we compromised and his middle name is Quayle. ;)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Jon Quayle Charname... Sounds nice! :D
    edited December 2023
    Ooops I forgot - Anomen's romance opens up an extended quest related to his knighthood, which could end up in him confronting Saerk and/or Cor. Some minor treasures to be had, but it has potential to go very wrong which forces Anoment to leave...especially if you convince him to turn to violence.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,853
    Detail on the Anomen stuff, spoilered for obvious reasons:
    Regardless of whether you're in a romance, Anomen will be called to the family home, where his sister is dead, his father blames the merchant Saerk, and he's faced with a choice.
    - Go after Saerk. If he does this, he'll confront the man and murder his daughter. Which drops your reputation by 2; take care if you're an evil party with low reputation, as Anomen may leave you forever in disgust at his own actions if this drops you to 1.
    - Don't go after Saerk, and let the proper authorities investigate.

Your choice here determines whether Anomen becomes a knight. If he held back and left it to the law, he passes his test, becomes lawful good, and gains 4 wisdom. If he took it into his own hands and murdered an innocent, he fails his test and becomes chaotic neutral.

Then, if you're in the romance, there's a follow-up. Whichever choice Anomen made, he was wrong.
    - If you went after Saerk, he didn't do it. As Anomen's father informs him with a callous letter delivered by a messenger. Naturally, Anomen blames his father and goes after the man. You follow. You can let Anomen kill his father, or talk him down.
    - If you let the authorities investigate, that same messenger comes with a letter from the magistrate. Saerk did it, and now Anomen's father got himself killed trying to take revenge. Naturally, Anomen charges off after Saerk. You follow. You can let Anomen kill Saerk, or talk him down.

Either way, that revenge killing is pivotal. If you let Anomen go through with it, he leaves you forever. If you don't ... the romance is still done until ToB. This revenge scene happens after the final SoA love talk.