Skip to content

I got sick of waiting so I started a new Vanilla game

BG:EE been freezing my comp for days now, rendering me sad and humbled.

I decided to start up a new BG:1 vanilla game to drown my sorrows in

First roll on my Elf fighter :)

18/00

Comments

• AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Good choice imo. Do u you play with any mods or just plain vanilla?
  • dracuifydracuify Member Posts: 33
    I admire your patience, maybe you should become a buddha. Hope they'll get it fixed for you soon!

And nice rolls :)
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @EnterHaerDalis the vast, vast majority of crashing and freezing issues for people are issues with video drivers being out of date. Can you tell me what kind of video card you have?
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I'm just playing plain Vanilla for now. I play Tutu sometimes but haven't got too deep into different mods

My video card is a 256mb Radeonx600

I was told that it should run the game fine. It actually runs perfectly smooth until the freezing point.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Vanilla is superior at this point. At least you can play at faster than 30 updates per sec.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    although I'm getting chewed out by the kobolds in nashkel mines...

they're hitting me for 16 damage with bows, dayam!!
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Kortok said:

Vanilla is superior at this point. At least you can play at faster than 30 updates per sec.

Ehrm.. Vanilla was limited to 30 FPS, it's the intended speed, both for BG and BG:EE.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    You could raise the FPS to 60 actually, in the config :)
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @Cheesebelly
    I wasn't aware of that.... :)
    Back then, I just played the game, didn't mess with config files...
    However, I remember there wasn't a slider like in BG2 for FPS.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2012
    @Cheesebelly

Actually no. Vanilla BG never had the ability to even change the AI updates. It was not until TUTU and BGT came out that we all were able to use AI updates in BG.

Though I really want to play faster then 30 AI updates.

If they don't fix this on the basis that it's not following Vanilla BG and then come out with BG2:EE and it still does not have AI updates then I would be flabbergasted. As BG2 and Throne had it built in.

Though I'm not very worried as I'm sure they will fix/add this in soon enough.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you lol.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    edited December 2012

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @begolf00 : but I play vanilla on 60! :o
    @Vanilla

BG never had AI updates. Only after BGT and TUTU came out could you change it. Unless I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure playing Vanilla BG back in 99 I was stuck at 30. Only after when TUTU and BGT came out did I change it.

Of course BG2 and Throne have always had AI updates.
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2012
    I'm playing at 45 right now on BG1 engine. you can make it anything you want from 15 to 60. This is not from memory I just tested it.
  • GSMGSM Member Posts: 34
    Kortok said:

So far EE is superior to the original. Much better. Now that the mouse cursor has been fixed its all good (at least for me)

I always see people complaining about the 30 fps. You people do realize any higher than that the game seems to run pretty unnaturally? Sure you run faster, but so does everything else (if I remember correctly)... always preferred to play it at its intended speed.... this is not an fps game...
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    From the original BG CD #1's README.TXT (under 1e. Baldur's Gate Config):
       3. Game Speed: The Game Speed setting allows you to speed up EVERYTHING
    in the game. Because Baldur's Gate is real time, allowing running
    unbalances the game. The Game Speed option allows the user to speed
    up the overall play of the game. This option is not officially
    supported and could cause problems, especially in multiplayer. The
    default setting is 30 AI Updates/Second.
    Note: this will result in a performance hit on any machine because the
    game is attempting to process all data at a higher speed. This will
    cause more slowdown in various places in the game.
    So yeah, you've been able to adjust that in BG the first since day zero.

I always thought it was a silly setting to play with, but it's always been there.
    I don't think you remember how painfully slow BG1 was. BG2 and EE are fps games in comparison.
  • GSMGSM Member Posts: 34
    I replayed the original a few months ago.

Maybe I just have patience and I just don't care much.

• NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    MikePXP said:

I don't think you remember how painfully slow BG1 was. BG2 and EE are fps games in comparison.

Oh, I was a map compleatist back then. I rarely left an area unless I'd uncovered every little pixel I could. I quite remember how painfully slow that was. :D

I saw (and still see) no need to speed up the whole game, though. I liked my leisurely strolls through the Sword Coast!

I don't mind the slow speed outside of CandleKeep. I get a little impatient in there for the beginning.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    GSM said:

I replayed the original a few months ago.

Maybe I just have patience and I just don't care much.

I have patience too, just not enough free time to slug around the map.
    edited December 2012
    I think why some people get upset on this forum is snide remarks being used. Just b/c someone else has a difference of opinion I don't say things like silly and complaining. Even if the poster does not mean to be that way it can come off sounding snide. Every time someone come's along and says I can't believe you guys play faster then 30 ai updates, it just feels condescending. All I'm asking is that the original option be there just like it always has. It's almost like some of you are trying to say to the developers don't wast your time with this group of people, their a minority and there are more important things to do then screw around with AI updates. Running at high speeds is fine and enjoyable for me and I realize it damn well is not an FPS game. Been playing it ever since it came out at fast speeds almost.

I'm not trying to offend anyone just getting a bit tired of the same old remarks for the last few days. Even though valid points have been made why we like to run the game a bit faster.

@MikePXP

Yea I guess my memory got fuzzy haha and I'm not even that old. Your right, Vanilla BG can set AI updates. I just installed GOG's version though maybe Tales of the sword coast has something to do with it. I apologize and take back all that nonsense I was saying before.

• DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    I'm thinking about doing that too, this 30 fps bullshit is unplayable... or maybe continuing my BG2 walkthrough, it's been a long time since I skipped out on it.