Skip to content

Playing on Switch Lite - Equipping Weapons?

Just started playing on my Switch Lite, and I can't equip Jaheira with a weapon, nor my fighter character with a shield (it's either a sword OR shield, not both).

It's been a LONG while since I played this on PC, so the memory is a bit fuzzy on the mechanics.

Also, some of the weapons have a red box around them, even though my fighter should be able to equip bows.

Does the Switch use the Quick Weapon slots for your weapons and the "armor" slots for just armor? If so, I may have figured it out.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,835
    edited December 2023
    The standard EE equipment mechanics:

- Each item type can only go in a particular slot. Body armor and robes only go in the torso slot. Helmets only go in the head slot. Ranged or two-handed weapons only go in the main-hand slots. One-handed weapons can go in either the main or off-hand slots. Shields only go in the off-hand slot. This is all managed through the inventory screen.
    - You have multiple main-hand slots, and can switch between them using the quick ability bar without going to the inventory. Convenient for things like switching to a melee weapon when the enemy closes with your archer (highly recommended, since melee attacks against ranged characters get a big bonus and point-blank ranged attacks get a big penalty).
    - Various classes and kits have equipment restrictions; not everything is usable by everybody. Druids and fighter/druids can only use a limited list of weapons, kensai can't use ranged weapons or shields, that sort of thing. These restrictions are generally listed in both the class/kit descriptions and the item descriptions. In addition, many items have stat requirements; you need some level of strength or another stat to equip them. The red background in the inventory means "this character can't use this item".
    - While you can hold a shield and a two-handed weapon at the same time, that shield is only actively in use if it's paired with a one-handed weapon (or an empty-slot unarmed attack). You can't use a bow and gain a shield's benefit at the same time.
    - While active, shapeshifting and various spells that create weapons (i.e. Flame Blade) disable the ability to put anything in your main or off-hand slot. Most of these are one-handed weapons that can be used with a shield, but you have to have the shield there before you use the ability.

Now, for the parts regarding the Switch interface? That, I can't help you with. I just know the underlying game mechanics.
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    edited December 2023
    It works normally on my Switch Lite. 😎

1) Jaheira, as a fighter/druid, can't use certain weapons (it's marked with a red box).

2) Some (long composite) bows require STR=18+.

3) Yes, U should put your principal weapon in Quick Weapon slots and your shield (or second weapon in the case of dual-wielding) in armor slots. 👈