Skip to content

Pause on Enemy Sighted

SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
Do you consider this cheating ?

This autopause function has made life easier avoiding danger and regrouping but I find one potential flaw. The game does not simply pause but the enemy does not see you as well and you can retreat. There is the problem - you can see them but they can't see you. Gamebreaking you know and eliminates the surprise factor.

I will disable this function for now because I start to think it is cheat mode.

But I will leave pause on Trap detected because of how broken that mechanics is and often I will step on the trap after detecting it.
Post edited by Soido on

Comments

• The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    edited December 2023
    Soido wrote: »
    This autopause function has made life easier avoiding danger and regrouping but I find one potential flaw. The game does not simply pause but the enemy does not see you as well and you can retreat.
    Autopause is plainly intended as a convenience so that players who appreciate the “real time with pause” strategic combat don’t feel they have to constantly be on high alert, hand millimetres away from the pause button, in order to begin combat by issuing commands to party members. If you use autopause to retreat unseen, then that’s on you.

The key words in your post are "potential" and "can". If you think the potential to retreat unseen after autopause is a flaw – and I do think that, although I deem doing so an exploit, not a cheat – but you otherwise like autopause, why not avoid retreating until you’re seen? To quit using autopause entirely instead would be one of the most clear-cut cases of throwing out baby with bathwater that I’ve ever seen.
    Post edited by The_Baffled_King on
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,229
    I definitely do not think any auto-pause is cheating.
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2023
    I agree that this function is a convenience and I like it

But if you are hardcore and like the challenge you will actually disable it

I have mixed feelings about it because it is so useful convenience. For example it pauses the game in every battle from round 1. But unfortunately this can be exploited as well. Like I said before you can regroup before enemy sees you.

But then there are so much exploits. That's why people make mods. For example I use a mod that shows me the end of rounds in a bar. This also can be considered exploit and non-hardcore but it is so convenient that once you install it you will never uninstall. Because you cannot keep track of the rounds for each character

Speaking about this there is asymmetry in time in this game. Hard to explain. Round 1 is not global, but is character bound. What is round 1 for my mage is not round one for my fighter and is not round 1 for my enemy.
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    Bioware fixed this time asymmetry in Dragon Age Origins by introducing the cooldown concept. You no longer bound into seconds that hard to keep track and a mess but by a novel design of cooldown
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,229
    Do you just want this to be a video game? I’m too old for that c**p. If I can’t set auto-pause triggers I’m not playing. Just as I didn’t for several months after it came out because I didn’t understand how it worked yet. Auto-pause categorically *makes* the game work.