Skip to content

Different enchantment for bolts/arrows than for bullets

Why do magic bolts and arrows have no damage bonus (only thac0), while magic bullets also benefit from a damage bonus equal to their enchantment level?

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    They not only get a dmg bonus from their enchanent level, but also from the sling's enchantment level and from STR, i.e. a cleric with 25 str by his on self buffs using the Seeking or Everard sling and the best bullets can do more then 25 dmg.
    The cons of sling is the low apr and the fact that there are no +1 apr slings in the game and also that there are few bullets with fire damage while there is plenty of arrows and bolts with different elemental damage, poison, dispel and other useful effects.
    I don't know why the arrows and bolts have been nerfed in bg2 where mlee weapons have the edge but the slings, that are under rated by some players, can be very strong, a multi FC buffed and using GWW can do more then 250 dmg/round and a hasted and buffed Aerie more then 50, with outstanding Thac0, that is much more then what Imoen can do with the best short bow.
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 238
    in BG2EE slings don't use the strength bonus anymore. Even the one you mentioned, the Sling of Everard +5.

Bolts: 1D8
    Arrows: 1D6, +1 attack per round
    Bullets: 1D4+1, + enchantment bonus.

Sounds balanced, but it's not LOGICAL.
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 238
    Here's another nonsense: +x crossbows score +x on thac0 and damage, and so do slingshots. But +x bows only gain +x on tack0, not on damage.

So we can repeat the calculation of damages:
    Crossbow: 1D8 + bonus enchantment (magic thrower)
    Bow: 1D6 (+1 attack per round)
    Slingshot: 1D4+1 + bonus enchantment (magic thrower) + bonus enchantment (magic bullet).

WTF ???
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    deratiseur wrote: »
    in BG2EE slings don't use the strength bonus anymore. Even the one you mentioned, the Sling of Everard +5.
    My EE game is not updated to the latest patch but in it slings get str bonus if enchanted bullets are loaded so the s. of Everard and the one of Seeking don't get it if are used without bullets but if you load them with your best bullets are the most damaging ones if used by someone with high STR. I am not 100% sure that it is true also with the latest patch and I can not check it as these days I am not at home.