Skip to content

Font size - why so tiny? Why so blurry? Is Thaco calculator broken?

Is there any way to increase the font size?
- The font on the main screen and all tips/hints in the inventory are so tiny that I have to nearly put my face in the screen to read it. Kind of a hindrance when my default distance from the monitor is 1 meter and my desk is set up accordingly, so leaning close is a complicated exercise.
- The font in the journal is bigger, but it is strangely blurry. What happened there? Did I use a dull quill and the ink smudged, or what? *is puzzled*

I was overjoyed to see the changes to the inventory screen, but... is it supposed to look like it was pushed up, with 1/4 of lower monitor unused, or is there something wrong with my display?
And the Thaco calculator... I don't think it works. I was so happy to see it there, but then I equipped darts, and it read:
Base Thaco: 20
dexterity: -3
weapon: -2
Total Thaco... 18
Wait, what? How does that work? I can't figure any way for this equation to work. Is my grasp of math that bad, or is there a bug somewhere?

Comments

• KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    There are bugs, both in font display / blurriness, and in THAC0 display.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    For the THAC0 display error, I think it's specifically an error with not taking into your dexterity modifier when using ranged attacks.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    BGEE is pretty reliant on the latest video drivers to work appropriately, amusingly enough. If you haven't yet, find the latest drivers and try those. I did so, and it fixed all my text problems, though spell icons when looking at the book/scroll are still a bit wonky.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    For the THAC0 display error, I think it's specifically an error with not taking into your dexterity modifier when using ranged attacks.

I see. :( Does anyone know if the error is only in display, or does it affect my ability to hit as well? If latter is the case, I think I'll put off playing until they release a patch that fixes that, and use the extra free time to work on some more portraits. (Don't say later you've not been warned) ;P

• JeivarJeivar Member Posts: 53
    Syntia13 said:

I see. :( Does anyone know if the error is only in display, or does it affect my ability to hit as well? If latter is the case, I think I'll put off playing until they release a patch that fixes that, and use the extra free time to work on some more portraits. (Don't say later you've not been warned) ;P

I have the same problem. My +5 to-hit bonus for strength doesn't seem to count, and I don't know if it's just a display problem or a genuine problem.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I've just checked my inv screen. Now I don't see any info about Strength or Dex THAC0 modifier... Did it disappear completely after a patch?
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Kirkor said:

I've just checked my inv screen. Now I don't see any info about Strength or Dex THAC0 modifier... Did it disappear completely after a patch?

It disappeared after we mentioned it .... let's stop talking about the bugs guys, the game is most displeased.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Instead talking about the bugs, we should make more feature requests... i already did that... support my "add a button for manually activating/deactivating the auto-zoom which is constantly present" thread :P
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    In regards to the blurry fonts, I only notice it in item descriptions and journal headings. I actually don't believe it is blurry so to speak, but that the game is consciously rendering a shadow behind the fonts and the effect is so bad it ends up looking blurry. The combat log / journal entries don't have this shadow effect and thus aren't blurry on my end.

@Deucetipher did you notice a change in the item description text rendering with a driver update?
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    @agris honestly, I couldn't tell you. The menu text was blurry for me when running the game, so I didn't really play until I fixed it by updating drivers. I clicked around a bit, but I don't think I right clicked an item.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    They took out the THAC0 modifier info? Is the THAC0 now accurate? That's kind of important info, you know. Is the THAC0 displayed properly on the character sheets? I guess I need to stop reading the forums and go check out the updated game for a while.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Try contacts?
  • AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    I am hoping for larger FONTS asap. I found this for BG2 but is there something similar for BG1:EE? http://www.shsforums.net/topic/52452-bigger-fonts-mod-for-baldurs-gate-2/