Skip to content

There was a problem with Baldur's gate Enhanced Edition

Soo I get that message evry time I press play on the laucher for baldurs gate...

i'm running AMD Radeon HD 5800 series crossfired graphix cards
have 8mb ram
and have updated my drivers to the newest version..

help plux

and do tell if you need more info

Comments

• begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2012
    Crossfire might be a problem. Try running on one GPU. Also make sure the game is not installed in Program filesX86. Make your own folder. Are you running windows 7?

Sorry I can't be much more help. Maybe you have to re download
  • elfuegoelfuego Member Posts: 28
    I have exactly the same problem. Running Alienware M11x with Nvidia GF 355M (forced through bios) with updated drivers.
  • SinisterChrisPSinisterChrisP Member Posts: 4
    Same here. M17X R2 with AMD Radeon HD 5800 series... It's annoying, but I haven't been able to get the game to run since the day it went live. Windows 7 64-Bit here also. Previous to this, the game would simply not start with no error message when pressing the 'Play' button. I've tried everything suggested on the Beamdog website and these forums too: Moving directories, un-installing and reinstalling, compatibility modes, switching UAC off, installing the latest drivers etc. Frustrated and was so looking forward to playing this weekend. Guess I'll see if a hotfix patches this at a later date...
    After removing the stand-alone installation and redownloading using beam client - the problem evolved to "nothing is happening after clicking play" :(

baldur.exe either fails to start, or crashes silently in the background without any error message. It actually looks and acts very much like a virus-infected app. :-/
  • NewBeginningNewBeginning Member Posts: 6
    This is exactly what happens to me. No crossfire here, but I also have an Alienware. An M17x R4.
  • ghutaroghutaro Member Posts: 3
    I updated my game launcher today, and it promptly broke things. I press play and then I get the error message "There was a problem with Baldur's gate Enhanced Edition" and the game has to close. Like you guys, I have an alienware desktop, radeon 5800 series card. It was working on the day the game came out, and now it's broken. Very upset with this latest update.
  • DyalloDyallo Member Posts: 1
    This is my error log, and I'm using an Alienware M15X:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 11/30/2012 9:46:32 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Dyallo-PC
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Baldur.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x50b66b64
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec49b8f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00033ab3
    Faulting process id: 0x2a3c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cdcf6e12541fe9
    Faulting application path: C:\Games\BDEE\Baldur.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 504f02a8-3b61-11e2-8e13-842b2b852ae6
    Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
    Dyallo-PC

Baldur.exe
    50b66b64
    ntdll.dll
    4ec49b8f
    c0000005
    00033ab3
    2a3c
    01cdcf6e12541fe9
    C:\Games\BDEE\Baldur.exe
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    504f02a8-3b61-11e2-8e13-842b2b852ae6

This is quickly starting to feel like an "Alienware" problem. Are there others with this issue that do NOT have alienware?
  • jonnyxjonnyx Member Posts: 2
    me :)

exact same issue on my machine and its definately not an alienware.

i get the ntdll.dll failure (if i get an error message at all) and have tried all the tips posted up with no luck
  • NewBeginningNewBeginning Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone with an Alienware gotten the game running?
  • stodderbstodderb Member Posts: 8
    Alienware m15x here. I dont have the logs anymore as I've uninstalled and got a refund, but getting the exact same problems as decribed above.

I actually got the game running, but the process caused bad sectors on my harddrive and now I have to replace it (good thing s.m.a.r.t warned me in time). What I did was run the game (Win 8 64bit) in compability mode (admin and different kinds of OS). Eventually, windows will ask if the program ran as it should. Here, use the option to make windows figure out what compability setting might work. It will advice you to use XP service pack 3 and run as admin. Now, you get a small "test button" which you can spam click faster than opening the .exe. After a few clicks, the game starts. Although it is very random how many clicks it takes. I had installed all programs adviced by the Overhaul crew and edited the .ini file. I'm not sure if any of these helped. I also got rid of the stupid Beamdog client and got the stand alone version. That actually made testing a lot easier.

However, all this testing (I had like 530 error logs on the november 29th) is not good for your harddrive. No product should require this much work to run. I requested a refund and can only advice other people to do so as well. This is the only way to let the industry know that the current un-finished game routine is not acceptable. We want working software, not paying for 2 years of beta testing. I will re-purchase the game, should it ever be able to run without crashes and bugs.
  • karrickkarrick Member Posts: 40
    how did you go about getting a refund?
  • stodderbstodderb Member Posts: 8
    Like you do whenever you purchase a product which does not work as advertised or rationally expected? (Mouldy bread, sour milk, clothes with holes, broken hardware, software that wont run etc.)

Contact the company, store or person who sold you the product and demand a refund. If you dont get a refund, contact your national consumer agency.
    edited December 2012

@NewBeginning
    I got it running - but not in Windows. My main OS is actually Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and the game starts and runs flawlessly within Wine. Everything works, sounds, animations, voices... It just gets a bit slower when too many spells are being cast, but the effects look much better then in original version :)

...but it still does NOT run in Windows 7 x64. However, I dont care. I play it in Linux and I enjoy it :) This is actually the first game that works better in Linux then in Windows :)
  • karrickkarrick Member Posts: 40
    elfuego said:

@NewBeginning
    I got it running - but not in Windows. My main OS is actually Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and the game starts and runs flawlessly within Wine. Everything works, sounds, animations, voices... It just gets a bit slower when too many spells are being cast, but the effects look much better then in original version :)

...but it still does NOT run in Windows 7 x64. However, I dont care. I play it in Linux and I enjoy it :) This is actually the first game that works better in Linux then in Windows :)
    I feel like the devs have taken their tiny cocks, and just slapped me in the face with it. twice.