Skip to content

Ability Scores of Jaheira, Minsc, etc., in SoD: BG1 or BG2? Import vs New Game?

ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
What are the ability scores of Jaheira, Minsc, Viconia and Edwin in Siege of Dragonspear (SoD)?

Their ability scores improve in BG2, (i.e., Jaheira has better DEX, Minsc has better DEX and CON, Viconia has better WIS, and Edwin has better STR and WIS.) Does SoD use their scores from BG1 or BG1?

What happen if I finish BGEE and then import the final save game into SoD?

I read that SoD also import the stats of those NPC companions from BGEE. Do those NPC keep their ability scores from BGEE — i.e., their LOWER BG1 scores — or does SoD make adjustments to their ability scores to match their BG2 scores?

I've been reading some conflicting information. Based on what I've read:

If the player started a new game in SoD, then those NPC would get the better, improved ability scores from BG2.

However, if the player imported a save game from BGEE, then those NPC would keep their lower ability scores from BGEE, (which sucks.) There is no mod to change their scores after-the-fact. The only way to change their ability scores in BGEE endgame to match their BG2 scores is to use EE Keeper to edit their scores in the final save game for importing.

However, I have also read that SoD does make adjustments to their ability scores even for imported game, or that SoD adjusts the scores for some NPC (like Minsc) but not some others (Jaheira). There are some conflicting information out there.

Which is it?
Post edited by ktchong on

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    I believe they use their BG1 stats, since SoD is "technically" a part of BG1.

When you finish BG1 you should just immediately launch into the SoD game. The intro dungeon is a direct follow on to the original game, so you run with your party, spells, gear exactly as you all were at the end of BG1.
    BUT, then comes some downtime. The party goes their own way except for you and Imoen. When a new adventure starts up, you need to rebuild a party. Many of your previous companions will be available, eventually. You do sort of need to track them down. And you can ask where everyone is, and figure out who all you're going to want. The characters that were with you in BG1 will turn up with exactly their stats and gear from when they were with you. The game will draw its own conclusions about those who were not with you before!

I usually use a mixed team of old friends and new. SoD is a shorter adventure, its an interlude team...
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited February 15
    I have installed the "Endless BG1" mod, but not all its components. i.e., I installed the components to allow me to continue playing BGEE after killing Sarevok, (i.e., components no. 11-13,) but NOT the components that move the first part of SoD into BGEE, (i.e., did not component no. 14-16.) Here is the readme from the Endless BG1 that explains what each component does.

I plan to import my final BGEE save game along with the NPC companions — which include Jaheira and Minsc — into SoD. However, I have just read that, if I start a new game in SoD, they will get their better and improved ability scores from BG2. However, if I import the final save game from BGEE into SoD, then they will keep their lower ability scores from BG1/BGEE, (which sucks.)

Which is a bummer, because I had installed the Tweak Anthology for BG1. The tweaks mod included components that give Jaheira, Minsc, Viconia and Edwin in BG1/BGEE their improved ability scores from BG2. However, I skipped those components, and now I am too far into the game to go back, install those components, and change their ability scores.

I have been reading conflicting information online: some people said SoD still use the lower ability scores from BG1 as default; other said SoD use the improved ability scores from BG2; then some claimed some NPC use the BG1 scores (like Jaheira) and other NPC use their BG2 scores (like Minsc) in the same game.

Based on what I have read: other players (who imported their games from BGEE into SoD) were frustrated by the gimped ability scores of their favorite NPC. So they resorted to using EE Keeper to edit their final save game file and the NPC. Then SoD would import the modified save file — with the edited NPC ability scores, so that those NPC would get the better abiluty scores as they would have if the players had just started a new game instead of importing from BGEE.

However, I am not certain if those information is reliable. I have been reading conflicting information.

So, does the default SoD new game actually use the ability scores from BG1 or BG2? Do the ability scores depend on whether it is a new game vs. imported save?
    Post edited by ktchong on
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    I think you'll just have to play and see then.
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    edited February 16
    I don't think SoD makes any adjustments to companion ability scores. But here is what I know - all the spells your mages learn in BG1 are remembered in SoD. So plan accordingly

If you increase ability stats by books in BG1, they are remembered in SoD , even your companions

Stats won't change much really they have made it good, what matters and is much important is item transition. This is what you should really care about from BG1 to SoD. Items. There are rules so I recommend educate yourself in BG wiki here is link where to start from and overall the wiki is your best friend and it is very exhaustive. It is a hard game to learn this is hardcore stuff with steep learning curve and I won't judge you if you go play another game. BG has its own problems, I myself am not continuing to BG2 for this matter because is just better out there like let's say I am fan of Gothic games although I am at odds with the G community because they prefer G1 while I insist G3 is a masterpiece better than G1.

I tried giving BG love but it is just not up to my standards even with add-ons and beam dog work. I guess it boils down to your background and I come from Dragon Age Origins and Gothic background and it is really really very high standard. But I gave it a try did my best, had 2 no-reload runs of BG1, did SoD, but I think that is all I can do about BG. It is just not up to my standards as entertainment from a game.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Importing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXZ3mXL8tnA
    Post edited by Soido on
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 506
    If I'm remember right, if you directly start a SoD game, or never recruit them in BGEE before SoD, they will have their BG2 stats.
    If you continue a BGEE game to SoD and you already recruited them in BGEE, they will keep their BGEE stats.
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 170
    edited February 16
    Trouveur wrote: »
    If I'm remember right, if you directly start a SoD game, or never recruit them in BGEE before SoD, they will have their BG2 stats.
    If you continue a BGEE game to SoD and you already recruited them in BGEE, they will keep their BGEE stats.

Certainly true for Viconia. I never recruit Viconia in BG1 but do in SoD and she has the BG2 stats
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,833
    Yep. If they were ever in the party during the BG1 campaign, the version you met there is what you'll see in SoD. If they weren't, you get the SoD versions (which start at 64K XP with good equipment).

Edwin has 10 STR and 10 WIS in his SoD version, same as his BG2 stats. But his amulet is still the BG1 version that grants +1 spell slot per level, not the BG2 version with twice the power.
    Jaheira has 17 DEX in her SoD version, same as her BG2 version.
    Minsc has 16 DEX and 16 CON in his SoD version, same as his BG2 version.
    Viconia has 18 WIS in her SoD version, same as her BG2 version.
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited February 17
    jmerry wrote: »
    Yep. If they were ever in the party during the BG1 campaign, the version you met there is what you'll see in SoD. If they weren't, you get the SoD versions...

Well, that sucks.

I suppose I will have to use EE Keeper to edit the final save game in BGEE, (i.e., the ability scores of companions to match their default scores in SoD/BG2,) before before importing into SoD.

That should be a mod that makes the adjustments for importing BGEE companions into SoD: raise their ability scores to match their BG2 ability scores.
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 170
    edited February 19
    ktchong wrote: »
    jmerry wrote: »
    Yep. If they were ever in the party during the BG1 campaign, the version you met there is what you'll see in SoD. If they weren't, you get the SoD versions...

Well, that sucks.

I suppose I will have to use EE Keeper to edit the final save game in BGEE, (i.e., the ability scores of companions to match their default scores in SoD/BG2,) before before importing into SoD.

That should be a mod that makes the adjustments for importing BGEE companions into SoD: raise their ability scores to match their BG2 ability scores.

Tweaks anthology allows this. Well it actually allows the stats to be consistent across all games, so you can play BG1 with BG2 stats.