Skip to content

Full series run, weapon choices for a Cav, Keldorn in party

I'm dusting off this game for another run through the series. I figure I'll do something I've never done before and keep Keldorn. G's Ward will also be a Cavalier. The rest of the party (and their weapons) will be as follows:

Jah (staves and spears)
Minsc (2h swords and maces in bg1, building to flails and bastard swords in bg2)
Yoshi->Imoen (who cares
Sarevok (2h swords and halberds)

Anyway, with two paladins in the party, that leaves me with some questions.

Which character gets the holy sword? Does it go to Keldorn so that he becomes a super inquisitor? Or does GW get it to spread out the dispels?

If it does go to Keldorn, what does GW take? Definitely axes, but that seems like an odd weapon for a paladin, in my opinion (and is mostly taken for a good ranged option). There will already be three people who can handle 2h sword (though minsc is likely to DW FoA and DoE). Another would be too much competition. Bastard swords are still kinda available, but they are few and come late unless I cheese (which I won't).

I'm kinda feeling like I'm giving everyone else the "good" weapons, and all that's left for GW are the second rate ones.

But, with this party combo, how would you tool up GW? Thanks!

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    You can't go wrong with longsword. There are a lot of good ones with cool special abilities. Add bastard sword later for Purifier and you and Keldorn can rock those holy swords together!
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    edited February 19
    I would usually have the pc Cavalier dual wielding. Start with long sword, add flail in BG1. Then bastard sword for Purifier.

your main character and Keldorn will be a powerful team.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    atcDave wrote: »
    I would usually have the pc Cavalier dual wielding. Start with long sword, add flail in BG1. Then bastard sword for Purifier.

your main character and Keldorn will be a powerful team.

If I'm giving flails to Minsc, though, why would the PC take them? There's only a few good ones in the game, right?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    If you’re giving flails to Minsc, then yeah choose something else. Either mace or hammer would be good choices. You do want something that does crushing damage.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 509
    Thematically there is a long sword really suited for a holy warrior available in early BG2.
    edited February 19
    Trouveur wrote: »
    Thematically there is a long sword really suited for a holy warrior available in early BG2.

A long sword? Which one? The only one I can think of that might fit the bill is Daystar.
  • 100PointBerserker100PointBerserker Member Posts: 5
    edited February 19
    There are 2 holy swords in the game, if memory serves.
    There are 2 holy swords in the game, if memory serves.

The only other one I can think of is Purifier (bastard sword), but it comes rather late in Watcher's Keep, unless you cheese a little and skip ahead.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,573
    edited February 20
    Youll have a lot of freedom unless you're pursuing two-weapon style, so to be honest, I wouldn't sweat your choices too much. You'll likely have more pips than you need even by early SoA. As others have said, if you have a slashing or piercing weapon as your main, you should certainly consider one crushing type as your off-weapon.

I don't think you should necessarily write-off axes. A great choice throughout the saga, and it gets around the Cavalier's weakness. And there simply are certain fights or situations where you want to have a good ranged option on all your characters. Tactical flexibility. Daggers is also a weird but completely workable choice as well. I do think from a power-gaming point of view, axes will be your strongest choice. Though I also think they're a great addition to Minsc, who gets more out of them than he does from the longbow.

Longsword is the other as folks have mentioned. Warhammer another. If you're going to abandon maces for Minsc, then that's another good option and has choices that fit with the paladin roleplay too.

TLDR: From a pure power-gaming standpoint, I'd say your best options is Axe + Warhammer. That will be the most efficient use of pips -- giving you slashing, crushing and ranged, all at level one. Allowing you to maybe quickly max two-weapon style if that's your goal.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 509
    Kneller wrote: »
    Trouveur wrote: »

A long sword? Which one? The only one I can think of that might fit the bill is Daystar.
    Yes this one. :)
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 628
    Dual wielding Purifier and Foebane on a paladin is cool.. not the best combo one can think of, but i like their synergy in terms of protection and damage.. and it's thematically awesome for a paladin :D