Skip to content

What are Charname's "actual" stats? In your opinion?

Obviously, there's not really a right answer... Buuut, I obsess on head-canon, and have a lot of free time at the moment, so, here's my spiel.

Each version of this game, and BG2, have "pre-built" Charnames. All of them are consistent on a few things:

1) Charname is a Human Male named Abdel Adrian.
2) Abdel is always a single-class Fighter.
3) He's always either Neutral Good or Chaotic Good
4) He specs Long Swords & Shields in every one of these, except for the OG Tales of the Sword Coast

But, his stat distribution varies wildly; So by looking at all those, the steam achievements, how he speaks, and how others interact with him... I think the stats that make the most "sense" for him are as follows:

Class:
Berserker (and realistically duals into Mage at LVL 9)

Alignment:
Chaotic Good > Neutral Good (he goes from Chaotic to Neutral as he matures)

Stats:
Strength: 17
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 16
Wisdom: 12
Charisma: 18
Total: 95 (just like Sarevok)

Specs:
Long Swords: 2
Shields: 2

Why Chaotic Good to Neutral Good?
Abdel was apparently a difficult child, according to Arkushule (in the Lighthouse area)... Plus, he's also good friends with Imoen, who is a literal Thief. Nonetheless, he becomes a pretty chill, introspective, and law-abiding guy by the end. He even becomes a respected statesman in Baldur's Gate (as the leader of the Flaming Fist)! So, he can comfortably live life as a respected authority figure.

Why Berserker?
It's literally a straight upgrade from vanilla Fighter--at least for the hack 'n slasher he seems to be. It ties in nicely with his Bhaalspawn blood, too.

He's probably not a Barbarian either--otherwise he wouldn't have been able to Grandmaster in Long Swords. Besides, Candlekeep would have frowned on those.

Why 18 Charisma?
First of all, it's mandatory for the best Candlekeep quest rewards (unless you cast Friends)... But more than that, the dude is a natural leader that makes friends everywhere he goes—no matter what their race or alignment. And, apparently, he's so ridiculously persuasive, that he can literally talk
Sarevok himself
into going from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Good.

That's...a pretty massive swing in alignment, especially considering all it took was a few conversations, and a bit of time traveling together.

Charisma is his real superpower. He inspires loyalty, respect, love, and absolute trust from those he leads into battle—that is what ultimately leads him to victory.

Good thing, too, because...

Why 17 Strength & Dexterity, with 15 Constitution?
Well, he's no slouch... But, there are plenty who are stronger, faster, taller, and/or scarier. Look no further than Sarevok...

Strength: 18/00
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 17
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 15
Total: 95

He soundly beats Abdel at base. The only way Abdel gets any kind of edge is through every Stat Tome in the game... And even then, it could go either way.

You can tell that at a glance, too. Carbos, for example, takes one look at him and says...

"Pretty face, but I don't see what the fuss is about."

And while Abdel makes plenty of friends, there's also many who size him up and think "yeah, I can take him".

Still, 15 Constitution is perfectly respectable—in fact, it's enough to get the "Colossus" achievement (150 HP), so long as Abdel uses the Constitution Tome at some point. So, he's got enough, at least.

Why 12 Wisdom?
It gets bumped up to 15 via the Wisdom Tomes—the bare minimum requirement for clearing every Wisdom check in BG2 (Wisdom has a minor effect on Dialogue choices in a few places).

So, Abdel isn't perfect. He's young, he's untested, he can lose his temper... He's not quite a Paladin just yet. But all that gets better with age and experience. And, even his worst is still miles better than Sarevok's best.

Why 16 Intelligence?
Well...This is probably the most debatable one. None of the official sources ever put him as anything but a Fighter... But in my head, he "realistically" Duals into Mage at some point after beating Sarevok. Why?

Because Abdel is a thinker. He's such a thinker, in fact, that he literally journals regarding all the different chores he does at Candlekeep. Yes, he has a diary—an extensive one covering all his different quests and exploits (even the minor ones).

He talks with eloquence and wit, too--just look at his amazing dialogue options throughout the game. So while he may prefer swords to magic, he's no dullard at all. As such, he eventually realizes there's only so many foes you can beat just by whacking them upside the head.

He's also going to notice, at some point, that he's hit a wall. Yes, he's run out of HD rolls. He got the "Grandmaster" achievement in Long Swords and can go no further. He's decked out with the best weapons and armor in all the Sword Coast, and can find no more...

That's upsetting... Because even with all that, it still took him and 5 others to defeat Sarevok's band... Something Gorion nearly did all by himself (at least in Classic Baldur's Gate).

Then, Abdel gets
pwned and experimented on by Irenicus
. He starts meeting liches. He's squaring up to literal dragons. The writing is on the wall... Basic swordplay -

just -

isn't -

enough.

So...as boring and stuffy as those old books and scrolls are... As much as Abdel preferred the hack-n-slash approach...

He needs to bite the bullet; He needs to follow Imoen's lead. Because, if nothing else, fighting is a helluva lot easier when you have Stoneskin to replace regular armor, Mirror Images to distract people, magic & lightning to shoot out your fingertips, and literal invisibility to turn the tides.

Oh, and he still needs the "Loremaster" trophy (100 Lore) before BG2... So there's that.

So that's it—that's my spiel. And if you're curious, these are the base stats he ends up with by the end of ToB (assuming good choices in the tests and no Deck of Many Things RNG)...

Strength: 19
Dexterity: 18 (assuming no exploit in "Test of Selfishness")
Constitution: 17
Intellect: 18
Wisdom: 17
Charisma: 21
Total: 110

Thoughts? If you've read even half of this xD?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I like the way you reasoned it out. Unfortunately I read the Godawful novels, so neutral good is far from how I picture Abdel Adrian. The novels portrayed him as at best neutral and at worst, neutral evil. I'll never get back the time I wasted reading those travesties...
  • FionordequesterFionordequester Member Posts: 41
    edited March 11
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I like the way you reasoned it out. Unfortunately I read the Godawful novels, so neutral good is far from how I picture Abdel Adrian. The novels portrayed him as at best neutral and at worst, neutral evil. I'll never get back the time I wasted reading those travesties...

I mean... The novel (at least the 1st one, as that's what I read) so blatantly and recklessly contradicts the game at every turn that it's pretty much an alternate continuity.

1) Imoen doesn't exist
    2) Gorion's not a mage, and dies to a completely set of assailants
    3) Abdel's backstory drastically changes (as he's apparently been a mercenary for Baldur's Gate for 8 years, before even starting his journey)
    4) Khalid's
    own death
    is completely different
    5) Abdel's STR (as given in Dragon Magazine) literally breaks the cap (19 STR as a Human Fighter)
    6) Sarevok casts lightning from his finger tips
    7) Characterizations for major characters vary wildly from the games

And all that's just off the top of my head.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    In my imagine, Charname is either a vanilla bard or a mage dualled to fighter.
    Bard because grow up in a library, maybe got education from Gorion, and there were a lots of books and stories. Also bards are rogues like Imoen so Charname an average guy, who read a lot.
    Mage dualled to fighter at lvl 2, because learned from Gorion to become a mage, but when Gorion slaughtered, he just want to save Imoen, and saw that brute force in the wilds is more powerful than magic, so learned fighting from Khalid. (And if you dualled from enchanter, you gain +2 save against enchantments, also this not optimal dual can use all mage wands, scrolls and items, but being a totally viable fighter).
    I read some interesting about why paladins is the basic class for first time players, like only paladins not meet any partymember in their stronghold quest etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/mpltt9/which_class_makes_most_sense_rp_wise/
    Ofc paladins are perfect antithesis for Sarevok in the first game, like duel of fates.
  • FionordequesterFionordequester Member Posts: 41
    Danacm wrote: »
    In my imagine, Charname is either a vanilla bard or a mage dualled to fighter.
    Bard because grow up in a library, maybe got education from Gorion, and there were a lots of books and stories. Also bards are rogues like Imoen so Charname an average guy, who read a lot.

That actually makes a lot of sense—in fact, I think Fighter/Mage was how I first envisioned Abdel. I'd always make him Half-Elf, just because that was the closest I could get him to being Human while still being able to multi-class. After all, you'd want to be well-versed in both forms of combat, right?

It was only later that I realized a Dual could easily be justified, especially with some imagination.
    Danacm wrote: »
    I read some interesting about why paladins is the basic class for first time players, like only paladins not meet any partymember in their stronghold quest etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/mpltt9/which_class_makes_most_sense_rp_wise/
    Ofc paladins are perfect antithesis for Sarevok in the first game, like duel of fates.

Paladin was also my very first choice as a young child—just because they had "good guy" written all over them.