Skip to content

Keeper of the Portal won't except the book!

BG TotSC Vanilla - Candlekeep Ch. 6

He's not hostile, unlike any other question in the universe involving the Keeper. BOOK68 is in Charname's inventory and identified. The lone dialog option is the one about not having the book.

This could be a consequence of playing with summoning Obe's Training Party; same family of saves.

I've downloaded Near Infinity for this dilemma. In the save's .GAM file, in the NPC box in the lower right, Obe and rest are still join-able and in world; Obe is in training room (AR2643, hard to get to) and the rest are in Beregost (Kagain's shop). Don't know if that has anything to do with anything. Not sure how to unsummon by remote.

Can't figure out if this a global variable or what. Oh, sure, I could just Ctrl+J and jump the gate, but I'd rather fix the problem, and NOT start from the save before the shenanigans, as that was about 45k XP ago, per party member.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,852
    That dialogue has a chapter check in addition to the check for the item. You can only enter if it's exactly chapter 6. It's possible that something glitched and didn't update the chapter properly, or updated it too many times.

So ... what's the global CHAPTER variable?
  • Richard_of_NuadhaRichard_of_Nuadha Member Posts: 3
    Thank you! Merely asking the question gets things back on the right track.

The latest Save after getting teleported to Candlekeep by Eltan: 7! Wrong! (The image during the chapter change was also wrong even though the frame said Six.)

My clean Save before summoning Obe's party: Chapter 5. Normal.

The Save directly after: Chap 6. Nope!
    Setting the Chapter back to 5 right here would keep the journal from getting far eschewed, which is what happens from here on out without the fix. Testing for science; creating the book, going to The Keep and talking to the Keeper works, although under-powered/equipped.

About 90 affected saves later.... Pretty much clearing out all the non-expansion areas.

The Save in front of Duke Eltan just before we talk then teleport: Chap 6.
    I just looked at my journal and it is totally F'd up. The last entry for Chap 5 is meeting Tiax and the beginning of Chap 6 is about Mad Arcand. Putting the fix here is at least not as painful losing tons of progress.

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CHAPTER", "GLOBAL", 5)

This was another helpful thread and where I got the CLUA command.
    https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/bg1_any_way_to_skip_a_chapter_or_does_anyone_have_chp_6_savegame

Of course, the book doesn't even NEED identifying to work.

I'm going to put a warning on my Obe's Training Companions post about it changing the chapter.