Skip to content

Why did the Harper Scout never get a officially rework ?

I wonder why no one of Beamdog realized that the Harper Scout is very unbalanced and never got a rework.
I'm writing that from the perspective of a Bard, so let me explain.

Requirements:
You have to level up 4 nice-to-have Skill and you want to level up your Class Skills too, like Perform etc.
Means you need a very high INT or you will have very low ranks.

You need 2 Feats: Iron Will (which is okay but not really good) and Alertness (which is really poor, plus Spot and Search aren't even Class Skills)

What you get:

D6 Hit Die, no benefit for Bard.
Simple Weapons and Light Armor, no benefit for Bard.
4 Skill points, also no benefit.

Level 1:
· Bardic Knowledge – you already have as Bard.
· Curse Song – only usable as Bard.
· Favored Enemy – just do Muliclass for better benefit.

Level 2:
· Deneir's Eye – nice bonus for Level 2.
· Sleep – literally useless after Level 5.*

*How is Harper Scout supposed to play? Soonest as possible: you will have a weak main Class caused of the high cost. Full level your main Class: Sleep is useless.

Level 3:
· Cat's Grace – as spell-like Feat and able to stack with the spell it's okay, but only once per day.
· Tymora's Smile – Only once per day, only 5 rounds and no scaling.

Level 4:
· Eagle's Splendor – like Cat's Grace and only useful if the main Class plays on CHA.
· Lliira's Heart – useless, because you can take a trinket that gives you immunity, or cast 'Protect from Alignment' that you will get on any Spellcaster Level 2! Plus Harper Scout Level 4 means Character Level 9 (soonest as possible). It's horribly weak for that level.

Level 5:
· (Curse Song or Favored Enemy, already explained on Level 1)
· Invisibilty – it's okay, depends on situation but can cast as Bard also.
· Craft Harper Item – it's okay to support your team. But just buy potions, so that Feat is just nice to have.

All Feats can only be used once per day and no scaling. And all are more or less just nice to have.
Harper Scout can't cast spells, so as Bard you will forfeit a major spell ability.
The Bard has all Class Skills of the Harper Scout and even more.

Why it was never officially reworked? I mean a whole new Prestige Class was added: Purple Dragon Knight.
As full Bard or Multiclass or with every other Prestige Class I will get more benefits.

So, just why?