Skip to content

Icewind Dale - List of Item Crafting and Upgrading Recipes

I'm playing IWDEE again, and it's been years, so I forgot a lot of details. I do recall there were quite a few options to craft or upgrade items, and that the components for some of these recipes were locked behind random drops. Not wanting to miss out on potential upgrades, I tried to google for a list of crafting recipes, but couldn't find any, instead I could only find individual bits and pieces.

Can anyone tell me if the below recipes are correct, and which recipes I'm missing?

Crafting in Icewind Dale:
Winter Wolf Pelts: After talking to Mirek, bring five of these to Orrick the Gray in the tower in Kuldahar, along with 2500 gold.
Yeti Pelts: After talking to Mirek, bring ten of these to Orrick the Gray in the tower in Kuldahar, along with 3500 gold.

Gnomish Tools: Found in the yeti cave in the Vale of Shadows. Bring them to Oswald Fiddlebender in the airship in Kuldahar.
Girdle of Gond: Sold by Orrick the Gray in the tower in Kuldahar. Bring it twice to Oswald Fiddlebender in the airship in Kuldahar, along with 1200 gold per upgrade, but only after you delivered the Gnomish Tools.

Symbol of Clan Battlehammer: Found in Krilag's Caves in Upper Dorn's Deep. Used for upgrading the Stoutward.
Stoutward: A random drop in Kuldahar Pass. Bring it to Conlan in the smithy in Kuldahar, along with the Symbol of Clan Battlehammer and 1000 gold.

Bren Muller's Crossbow: Found on the 3rd level of Dragon's Eye. Cast "Contact Other Plane" and inquire about Bren Muller.

The Ballad of Daen Winterbrush: Found on the 4th level of Dragon's Eye. Used for upgrading The Sword of Myrloch Value.
The Sword of Myrloch Vale: Sold by Conlan in the Smithy in Kuldahar. Use The Ballad of Daen Winterbrush by your Bard with a Charisma of 16 or more while the sword is in your inventory. Alternatively, bring both items to Telanis on level 4 of the Severed Hand or Murdaugh in the tavern in Lonelywood.

Mythal Theory: Found on the 3rd level of the Severed Hand. Bring it to Orrick the Gray in the tower in Kuldahar.
Rhino Beetle Shells: Bring one of them to Dirty Llew in the gnome village in Lower Dorn's Deep along with 10000 gold. If your leader is female, you only need 9000 gold, and if she has a Charisma of 16 or higher, you only need 5000 gold. The result can be further improved in one of two ways. Bring it to Orrick the Gray in the tower in Kuldahar along with 15000 gold, but only after you delivered the Mythal Theory, or bring it to Nym in the gnome village in Lower Dorn's Deep along with 28000 gold, or 33000 gold if you also want Nym's +2 dagger. Orrick provides one more armor bonus than Nym does, but Nym provides 15% fire resistance.

Umber Hulk Hides: Bring eleven of these to Dirty Llew in the gnome village in Lower Dorn's Deep.

Crafting in Heart of Winter:
Remorhaz Shells: Bring one of these to Dirty Llew in the gnome village in Lower Dorn's Deep, along with 8000 gold.

Broken Armor: Three of these are used for upgrading the Mystery of the Dead.
Mystery of the Dead: Sold by Nym in the hidden gnome camp in Lower Dorn's Deep. Bring it to Edion Caradoc in the tower on the Burial Isle, along with three Broken Armors.

Emotion Hope: One such scroll is used for upgrading Cynicism.
Cynicism: Sold by Edion Caradoc in the tower on the Burial Isle. Bring it to Kieran Nye in the Whistling Gallows inn in Lonelywood, along with a scroll of Emotion Hope.

Vexed Armor: Talk to Vexing Thought in the caves of Burial Isle without dominating him. Cast "Contact Other Plane" and inquire about Vexing Thought. Talk to Vexing Thought again and dominate him using his true name.

Young Rage: Found in the caves of Burial Isle. Bring it to Tiernon on the 1st level of the Gloomfrost Caverns, the bring it to Edion Caradoc in the tower on the Burial Isle. (If your party includes a Necromancer, the second step may not be needed.)

Tiernon's Sundered Shield: Found in Gloomfrost. Bring it to Tiernon on the 1st level of the Gloomfrost Caverns.

Restored Blade of Aihonen: Given by Jhonen when returning to Easthaven, but only if you gave him the blade during the prologue. Bring it to Tiernon on the 1st level of the Gloomfrost Caverns.

White Dragon Scales: Dropped by Icasaracht on the White Wyrm Iceberg. Bring them and 5000 gold to Conlan in the smithy in Kuldahar.

Also, is it correct that some of the recipes are mutually exclusive, as they depend on how you play through the game? If you complete the base game and import your party to Heart of Winter, you cannot turn in the Remorhaz Shells and the White Dragon Scales, whereas if you talk to Hjolldir to enter the Heart of Winter, you do not yet have the Restored Blade of Aihonen.

Comments