Skip to content

Keria and Kord head to Baldur's Gate

It occurred to me recently while writing up and rendering characters on my web site that two of my characters had back stories that fit very, very well for Baldur's Gate. And since I haven't run through BG in years, I figured it was time for another go.

I've got a few quest and NPC mods going, but the biggest new one for me is Talents of Faerun (minus the stat and race mods).

There's bigger write-ups and renderings of both these characters, their backstories, and how they fit into BG on my website (ZenosZiggurat). Below is the short-and-sweet.

Keira and Kord head to Baldur's Gate
b97dpdhmc5ca.png

Keira - CG Half-Elf Thief (Shadowdancer)
jcptdlupbz9c.png
The protagonist. A half-elf who doesn't quite know what her parentage is beyond that it appears to come with more than a little influence over the shadows. Somewhat of a thrill-seeker who has grown up getting into trouble with Imoen and coming to Kord to get out of it.

Kord - LG Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker)
zos62uqve0my.png
Another orphan. Grew up with Winfred, then joined the Candle Keep guard when old enough. Essentially big brother to Keira and Imoen, and tries very hard *not* to be a stereotypical Orc. But has that Orcish rage lurking underneath when someone *really* gets under his skin.

Imoen as Keira's partner in crime, and Kord's "baby sister". Will dual to Mage early to honor Gorion.
rtgeh437aj1s.png

Jaheira as team-mom
ao8r84levzmx.png

Khalid as the the team diplomat who smooths out conflicts
bhfc5cmznzsm.png

And an open slot for folks like Minsc and Branwen to come and go with quests, until it probably ultimately gets filled by Yeslick. Although Drake NPC, Branwen, and Coran are also all possibilities. I'll just have to see who ends up gelling with the others the best.

Young Keira and Imoen up to no good
780tm706a12t.png

Imoen teasing Kord on his first day in the guard
tvxron3uex7v.png

Teen Keira and Kord hanging out
h94zj3nrxaje.png

And off they go!

Comments

• Zeno_42Zeno_42 Member Posts: 137
    They've made it as far as Bergerost at this point. They picked up Xzar and Monte to help them make it to Friendly Arm Inn, and they helped with the first ambush. But they bailed when we met up with Jaheira and Khalid. They briefly chatted with Dorn, and took an instant dislike to him. They then made our way down to the left and around through Bergerost, and by the time they met Neera they'd seen another ambush and had a run in with Silke. So Neera's intro fell pretty flat. Seemed like the last thing either of them would want to do is hook up with another group of folks being hunted by mysterious assailants. "Hey! You've got powerful enemies hunting you, we've got an entirely different set of powerful enemies hunting us! Lets join up so we both have to deal with *two* sets of powerful enemies!". So we pointed her towards the Friendly Arms Inn, told her what we knew about the folks hanging out there, and agreed to go our separate ways.
    Keira, Kord, and gang made it down to Nashkell. They had a bit of a tough time with Neria as she held both Kord and Khalid, but managed to bring her down before she killed anyone. They ran into Minsc and hit it off famously. Imoen and Minsc loved playing around, Kord found an eager wrestling partner who could keep up with him, and Keira found someone who could - in his own way - keep up with her favorite pasttime. They had a fine old time working their way to the Gnoll Stronghold to rescue Dynaheir, but unfortunately had to part ways with their new friend there. Now its back to Nashkell to check out the mines.

Tweaked my portraitfor Minsc to get a bit more of the brighter BG vibe - my defaults are geared more towards IWD:
    jsw0v7bmkfnd.bmp

Keira and Minsc do river parkour:
    f3c2mvn7xxsj.png

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,331
    Sometimes I really hate the limit of 6! I’d run with 12 if I could.
    Yeah. That arbitrary limit can be annoying at times. Particularly when it comes to NPC duos. But balancing for any number of PCs would be difficult as well.

Keria and Kord have finished up the mines with Branwen helping out, and then headed back up to Bergerost to take care of business there. Tranzig went down in a single Keira backstab. So much for that fight. They said their farewells to Branwen, and then took Drake up on his offer to help hunt down Bassilus. He actually made the fight harder by jumping before we could lay the family to rest, but it didn't make that much difference in the end. Not sure how well Drake will work out with this crew. A little hot-headed, a little sour. But the other recent adventurers they met were Kivan and Rasaad, Kivan they weren't at all sure they could trust his judgement given his blood feud with Tazok. And Rasaad just didn't gel well with Keira or Kord personality wise. So we'll see. Perhaps they'll meet Ajantis and see how that works out before bandit hunting.

Keira and Kord are swimming along pretty nicely now. They've completed most quests around Nashkell and Bergerost , and ended up hooking up with Kivan for the assault on the Bandit Camps. He still seems way too revenge-focused for them to be terribly comfortable with him long term, but they needed a tracker who knows the bandits. They're now preparing for the final assault on the main Bandit Camp.

Kord is a beast all by himself, as expected. And - surprisingly enough - Keira is having no trouble holding on to second place despite being a single class shadow-dancer. Once her stealth got good enough to repeatably hide-in-plain-sight to both shed attackers and set up backstabs she quickly became a major contributor. Particularly in picking off dangerous mages and such. I've never been one to pay much attention to backstabbing, but her effectiveness is making me rethink that.
    They're working their way through the mines now, having dealt with the shadow druids and such in Cloakwood. Kivan was a very effective companion as an archer, but his personality just did not gel well with the others. When they rescued Yeslick in the mine it came to a boil. Kivan stormed off because they weren't finding Tazok fast enough, and Yeslick joined up to help free the miners. Now its off to deal with Daveorn!
    Keira and Kord have now made it to the big city, and have started exploring and investigating the nefarious goings on with the Iron Throne. Lots of ooh-ing and aah-ing as they explored the city, checked out the taverns, went shopping, made friends and enemies, and started getting enmeshed in further shenanigans. They've even started traipsing through the slums trying to sort out why temple books are rotting away in the temple district.

Yeslick has fit in with the group very well, slotting in as the grand-father figure opposite Jaheira. A source of far more laid back and gentle advice. He's also been pretty handy with the hammer. Maybe not quite as ridiculously overpowered as an archer-specced Kivan, but I like the cohesion of the group better with him.

hp9zltcpvdcy.jpeg

54kytp0qwty3.jpeg

edited August 7
    And wow. Somewhere towards the end of Lorekeepers we run into the... special tentacular bosses. They were cleaning our clock - until I just tried pulling everybody back and letting Keira do her thing. Potion of speed, potions and spells to protect against stun, and ShadowStep and Hide in Plain Sight. Stealth up to one of the baddies, backstab, and then shadowstep/speedrun away until I can stealth again. Rinse, repeat. Not going to make a habit of that - but nice to know when I really need to she can go all out with the stealth barrage. She's actually almost caught up with Kord in the stats for the whole game - not just this chapter.
    Keira bustin' loose:
    restwfphtzsf.jpeg
    I love your “exploring the city” scenes. Awesome stuff! Although it’s funny seeing everyone with pointy ears.
    Surprisingly difficult to get the two of them showing their contrasting combat styles when things get serious in the same image. The AI desperately wants to give Kord the same haze as Keira - to say nothing of throwing in all the usual extra blades in odd locations. But these two came out well enough:

sjekurkcohe5.jpeg

v6j1xxvi74ho.jpeg

The first one looks like Keria is teasing with Kord ("I can roar too!")

The action scenes are so hard to get.
    It is pretty amazing how hard some things are to do. Direct combat seems almost impossible. I can't do X swings a sword and Y ducks or anything of the sort. Even sparring is difficult. Even trying to get things like Minsc slapping Valygar on the back and Valygar stumbling, and half the time I got the "blocked" prompt and the other half got something that looked like neither a slap on the back nor a stumble. The best I've got is set the characters, set the scene, and say "charging into battle" or "in action" or the like and keep pressing the button until it randomly gives me something I like.
    Not that Keira teasing Kord with "I can roar too" would be remotely out of character for her.... ;)
    Yeah I’ve had some real adventures with action too. It definitely won’t do anything “violent”, so weapons will only swing before contact. I guess I don’t need to see gore, but just like the racy stuff, the filters show *an abundance* of caution.
    Note on tactics at this point - in general they've fallen out as:
    1) Keira - two weapon, short swords/scimitars/wakizashis. Set to "aggressive thief" script - so in general at the start I just click to have her move behind the largest threat and she auto-backstabs from there. If in trouble she can use shadowstep or hide to shed attention, potions or Bhaal powers to heal herself, and then move behind somebody backstab again, and get back to the fray.

2) Kord - generally 2H weapons, but with sword and shield as a backup when there's lots of archers around. Runs in, kicks butt, pops berserk if we're in trouble or we have to deal with charms/stuns/etc.

3) Khalid - specced as an archer with longsword backup. Job is generally "make the most threatening spellcaster a pincushion"

4) Jaheira - specced for club and shield. She has a sling, but rarely uses it. Starts off with spells if circumstances call for it, otherwise charges in with Kord. May be called upon to dispel/deal with magic threats instead.

5) Imoen - specced for bow. Thief->Mage. Generally pulls the same assignment as Khalid, but may prefer spellcasting over plinking with a shortbow depending on the opposition.

6) Yeslick - specced for hammer and/or flail and shield. Generally charges in with Kord, but may toss out a buff or two at the beginning and may be called upon to react to magical threats with dispel/etc.

Items pretty well spread out, with Kord/Keira/Yeslick/Jaheira heavier on the AC items since they're more often in the thick of things.

Obviously in big boss fights, mage fights, etc. I may deviate, but for most combats all I have to do is pick the initial deployment/targets and toss out a spell or two if needed. Possibly issue a tactical retreat to avoid AOE's and let the enemy come to me instead.
    edited August 10
    Keira and Kord were sent back to Candlekeep, and discovered something was rotten in the state of Denmark. Found some monks who were no longer monks, had a cryptic exchange with "Koveras", had an argument with some Iron Throne representatives, then everything went chaotic.

They tried to retreat from the library:
    a6r16sp9ljxl.jpeg

Got cornered, and imprisoned:
    hd2ss0f8dukk.jpeg

Then escaped to fight their way through catacombs:
    annhtc2tsvbu.jpeg

dn0595b2wujm.jpeg

Now its back to the city to have it out with the Iron Throne once and for all!

Those are great! A lot of "dopplegangers" all at once, exciting action.
    edited August 12
    And the end is upon us... Having rescued Duke Eltan and prevented Sarevok's attempted coup, Keira and Kord are now headed to the undercity to put a permanent end to his plans...

3pl1wrpdnx1q.jpeg
    edited August 12
    And they've done it! Turns out while Sarevok is heavily *magic* resistant he is *not* heavily *stabbed in the back by an L10 Shadowdancer* resistant. Was actually rather surprised. Keira snuck up, backstabbed him and shadowstepped away to pull him past the traps towards the rest of the crew.... When he came charging at us Kord went berserk and engaged with Khalid, Imoen, Jaheira, and Yeslick geared up for buff spells.... and Keira backstabbed him again and *poof*. Game over. Didn't even get to try out my fancy tactical plan. Its off to Dragonspear!

Charging into battle:
    mstbngh4bzy5.jpeg

Keira taking her shot from behind:
    e18i6eh82eis.jpeg

Recovering after victory (which I imagined to be harder fought than it actually was):
    olkvovkou05n.jpeg
    I'll do up a proper memorial to the run on my web site once I get my uses back from generating the last set of BG2 companions. Then its time for my very first run-through of Siege of Dragonspear. Maybe some of those companions will also get portraits once I get to know them.
    I like those! The “from behind” shots could be very useful.
    Just completed a dedication page on my web site memorializing this run:
    Keira and Kord complete BG1
    Keira and Kord just completed Siege of Dragonspear. This was actually my first time through Dragonspear. A lot to like, a few things I didn't like (the Skie ending, defeating a Demon Lord on his home plane at level 12). But definitely gives Keira and Kord even more reasons to have a grudge against Irenicus come BG2. Now I just have to get BG2EE installed and configured with my mod loadout, chose what quest mods I feel like adding, and then they're off to the next chapter of their story!
    I figure the big, bad at the end was still weakened from IWD!
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 620
    Hey, I wanna try your awesome duo on LoB difficulty from scratch. Details coming soon. 😉
    edited August 18
    All right, I just started this duo on LoB (playing on Switch), I maximized stats in order to make the beginning less tedious.

Kord: NG (LG not available) half-orc berserker, 19/18/19/9/3/18: long sword, sword+shield, spear and crossbow.
    Keira: CG half-elf shadowdancer, 18/18/18/9/10/18: short sword and short bow, +30 pt added to Hide in Shadows. 🥷

After beating Shank and sleeping, the couple started the epic fight with Candlekeep rats! 🐀🐀🐀😸

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/82793/bwahaha-awesome-candlekeeps-rats-on-lob
    Awesome! Hope you have a great run with them!
    Put up a new page on my site as Keira and Kord formally begin BG2: Shadows of Amn:

u0ljo4ox6km0.jpeg

Irenicus, they're coming for *you*!

Keira - CG Half-Elf Thief (Shadowdancer)
    S 13, D 19, C 15, I 14, W 12, Ch 14
    v5cfpqumo6qk.jpeg
    Keira is now a little older, a little wiser, and a lot more capable with her shadow powers. Her stats have also grown a bit from tomes and such in BG & SoD. And she is absolutely hellbent on recovering her "sister" and making sure Irenicus never interferes in her life again. Figuring out what to do with her Bhaal connection is secondary for the moment.

Kord - LG Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker)
    S 19, D 12, C 16, I 13, W 13, Ch 13
    r5n9wgxx7jrv.jpeg
    Kord has also grown up and filled out a little. He's now 24, battle-hardened, and has seen a lot more of the world than his first days out of Candlekeep. He's still the more idealistic of the two, but its now more of an aspirational idealism than a naive faith. He's seen too much to think the world really works that way, he just wants it to. He has also grown stronger through use of tomes.

He's pretty determined now. He was a born protector, and someone is messing with his *family*. He *will* get Imoen back, and then Irenicus *will* regret it.

Zeno_42 wrote: »
    Awesome! Hope you have a great run with them!

Thanks! Important change in my gameplay: I restarted with Keira as Bounty Hunter (instead of Shadow Dancer). I wanna play the beginning honestly, beating basic LoB monsters with my duo of level 1 without cheesy tactics. However, Shadowdancer of levels 1-4 totally sucks on LoB difficulty.

Also, I changed weapon proficiencies for Kord: 2 pips for long swords and 2 pips for sword+shield. It makes Kord+Keira a very efficient fighting duo in open areas.

Tactics: Keira put up to 7 traps and special snares, then go to attract monsters, special snares slow down enemies. Kord, changing to berserk, goes into melee ⚔️ while Keira uses her shortbow. 🏹