Skip to content

[Request] Rejected NPCs don't leave the game world

pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
Certain NPCs will simply walk away never to be seen again if you talk with them but decide not to recruit them. It would be cool if you could meet them again later, within Baldur's Gate would probably be ideal. I always feel I need to tell Xan he's free and I definitely don't wanna flood the mines with Yeslick still standing down there all helpless. And where does Garrick go? Surely he just wants a drink at the nearest bar.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I agree that this issue should be addressed. BG1 is filled with taverns everywhere, NPCs should relocate to places like these after you talk to them / kick them out of your party.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    Friendly Arm inn might be a good place to relocate all NPC's if it where to happen i think, its Neutral ground for everyone, what do you think?
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I have no real objections to having rejected NPC's scattered through different taverns, maybe depending on their goals, i.e those who want to go solve naskel might be in the nashkel tavern etc.
    edited June 2014
    not so fun "you have been waylaid by bandits" 20 times on your journey to pick up Xzar and Monty in Nashkel Tavern tho ;) Friendly arm is quite in the middle of everything... Im not sure about the experience lock, if you have a NPC joining your party and then removing him then he stays at that level and get kind of useless to pick up at higher level, maybe this could be adjusted?
    Post edited by Zymran86 on
    Well, that's always a problem.

Perhaps whenever an NPC joined he could automatically gain the exp necessary to reach your character's level?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    BG2 NPCs usually have options like "I'm headed back to the my home in trademeet or that tavern over there (or whatever)" and you can say "ok" and he/she will go there or there is an option like "No that's not possible just stay here for now and I'll be back for you".

I think that's for sure the way to go.
    1 or 2 levels under might be better,refering to the NPC who never joined, stays a few levels behind you but still dont lagg too much behind, this would make the "core NPC's" which youve chosen from the start to feel abit more important since theyre the same level, and prevents the player to just run around switching NPC's all the time as it suits them.
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I also wish to see rejected NPC's not leaving the game world and just going to a tavern somewhere. I agree that the the Friendly Arm in would be the most convenient, but I can also see different characters going to different inns.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    it should depend on the current chapter. Once you hit chapter 6, for instance, you'd have no reason to go to the Friendly Arm *except* to pick up stray NPCs. It would make things simpler to have the NPCs migrate to Baldur's Gate somewhere once you arrive there.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Just stick most of em in the Friendly Arm Inn. It has plenty of room for everyone, and has been stated, is in a central location. Can be the new Copper Coronet.

Problem is Viconia though. Not a lot of civilized places will let a drow hang around, especially an evil drow priestess of Shar. Need to stick her somewhere out of sight, but not so far out of the way, like the graveyard in BG2.
    Just have her outside the walls of the Friendly Arm Inn.

Or maybe discussing theology in the Temple...
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I understand that the objection to this is principally 'it doesn't make sense' that they would wait for you in the Friendly Arm. On the other hand I think the gameplay value outweighs that problem, particularly in being able to come back and change your party.

I think a good way around this might be to have 3 options when first meeting a new NPC:
    1. Accept them into your party
    2. Reject them (so the normal course occurs)
    3. Accept them but tell them there's no room in the party/that you have something to do first, and ask them to wait in the Friendly Arm
    @HeriocSpur

I see what your saying, but what if someone new is playing and doesn't realize that rejecting them will result in them permanently disappearing vs telling them you have something to do first? I still think its just better if they don't permanently disappear.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @EpitomyofShyness: it's a tough one, but you need to come down one way or the other. The difficulty with simply making it that they don't disappear is that you then have to contrive a new location for them to be, particularly for someone like Yesslick (sp). The solution may be to merge 2 and 3 above, so that when you reject an NPC, they actually say where they're going to go.
    The solution may be to merge 2 and 3 above, so that when you reject an NPC, they actually say where they're going to go.
    That's basically what happened in BG2. I think that's a better solution than having the possibility of the characters disappearing.
    @HeroicSpur and @Tanthalas

I like what you guys just said and for me that would be the best solution.
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    I seems everyone is more or less on the same page. The NPC's destination could even be randomly determined from a few locations.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I like the idea but wouldn't this be a nono (change in dialogue)?
    Yes, it would be a very very minor change in dialogue, but I hope such a small change would be approved since it really would be a great feature to add to the game.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    I understand that the objection to this is principally 'it doesn't make sense' that they would wait for you in the Friendly Arm. On the other hand I think the gameplay value outweighs that problem, particularly in being able to come back and change your party.
    It may not seem that NPCs are waiting for you if they are doing stuff in random places in Baldur's Gate, and finding them could be a interesting thing.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Agreed tan
  • cedessecedesse Member Posts: 18
    I have been wondering why you can't even add notes to the World Map?
    That way I would at least be able to find the characters I forgot where I dumped.
    I haven't been able to find a cheat/workaround for this - which actually surprised me.

And now I am having serious problems trying to keep a party of dogooders and badasses together led by my wimpy non-charismatic mage PC. I know which characters I need... but I can no longer find them, because most of them joined the party for a bit before I dumped them.