Skip to content

Nostalgia clouding your judgement

2»

Comments

• darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    @Siddham I don't mean defensive in a bad way. I guess I just meant that sometimes people feel the need to stick up for something that they feel someone isn't getting the point of or whatever. :)
  • subterrasubterra Member Posts: 49
    edited December 2012
    Awwwwww to all the haters just awww its cute to see you guys getting so fustrated over absolutly nuthing hahaha........glad i got ur back up, nerds.
    To the rest of you who replied sensibly thanks for all the feedback.
  • mercurymeltdownmercurymeltdown Member Posts: 49
    subterra said:

Awwwwww to all the haters just awww its cute to see you guys getting so fustrated over absolutly nuthing hahaha........glad i got ur back up, nerds.

Hehe +1 happy
    edited December 2012
    Okay now the post makes sense. Thanks for clarifying, Subterra. Haha.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

Wow I regret actually reading this

Lower your difficulty if you can't micromanage your characters well enough to survive. You didn't really bring up any issues besides the fact that you suck at the game and keep dying.

I completely agree, if your characters are dying, it's because of what you did.
    Not really. You can die, even if you do nothing wrong. It's sort of like real life that way - just because you tried hard and attempted great things, you aren't guaranteed success.
  • SiddhamSiddham Member Posts: 31
    @ darthchair ah....well if you put it that way....yes i was sticking up for a game i like....a lot :)
    @Siddham Psst, you don't put a space between the @ and the poster's name! :)
  • SiddhamSiddham Member Posts: 31
    @darthchair like that? :)

@Siddham By jove, he's got it! Haha. Yeah. that way people know when you are addressing them. It sends them a little message. :)
  • AngelBarchildAngelBarchild Member Posts: 2

I started to twitch the moment I read the header.... then I read the thread... and it was darn nigh full on rage...

Much like the new version of X-Com Enemy Unknown, your going to die. You just are. One wrong move, one mistep, one bad roll, and your dead. And unlike XCOM, its fully acceptable that you will reload.

I understand this game is not for everyone, but you must remember that a lot of us here grew up with
    games like this, there was even a term for it:

NINTENDO HARD: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard

Back when game over meant just that, start at the beginning, no sissy level codes (Thank you Mega Man the first game besides Contra I ever finished), no checkpoints, and no mercy.

And one more thing... this game really is not hard it just has a learning curve, go play Ghouls 'N Goblins and then come back and have a chat with us.

As a matter of fact, go play XCOM (the original) on Steam, its like 5 dollars now. If you manage to not have anyone die on normal difficulty then you sir are my hero.

Ghhhk! Don't do that to me! Tv Tropes is like crack, I have 25 tabs open and I've been at it for almost an hour.

/Sigh, I should know better, I edit the darned thing.

• Rpg_AvatarRpg_Avatar Member Posts: 38

I started to twitch the moment I read the header.... then I read the thread... and it was darn nigh full on rage...

Much like the new version of X-Com Enemy Unknown, your going to die. You just are. One wrong move, one mistep, one bad roll, and your dead. And unlike XCOM, its fully acceptable that you will reload.

I understand this game is not for everyone, but you must remember that a lot of us here grew up with

Back when game over meant just that, start at the beginning, no sissy level codes (Thank you Mega Man the first game besides Contra I ever finished), no checkpoints, and no mercy.

And one more thing... this game really is not hard it just has a learning curve, go play Ghouls 'N Goblins and then come back and have a chat with us.

As a matter of fact, go play XCOM (the original) on Steam, its like 5 dollars now. If you manage to not have anyone die on normal difficulty then you sir are my hero.

Ghhhk! Don't do that to me! Tv Tropes is like crack, I have 25 tabs open and I've been at it for almost an hour.

You have no idea. It's not even crack, its pure unadulterated nicotine (more addictive than crack) sprinkled with caffeine.... and I feel bad... I do the same thing when when I go there, I am amazed I was able to link that without going down the rabbit hole.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660

http://xkcd.com/609/
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'm going to give you the best advice I can for someone who is new the game/genre/AD&D

Step 1: In all seriousness, roll a fighter and make them either dwarf (max your constitution) or elf (Max your dexterity and put your points in bows and longswords). In particular I'd advise elf. Don't worry about kits for now, fighter is a good learning class. If you go elf, you'll have an extra chance to hit with your bow and longsword. You should also max your dexterity if you go elf as well.

Step 2: In candlekeep talk to every green monk you see standing around. They dispense all sorts of useful advice for later, so it might be good to read the text they have. Also take up the Gatekeeper's offer to run with a party in the illusionists house, so you can get a better idea of what full group combat is like and who is supposed to do what.

Step 3: Pick up everyone you can early for your party, and look at their character sheets to figure out what weapons they can use.

Step 4: remember the lower your armor number, the safer you are. Having an Armor Class of 4 is better than 6. Same goes for having an armor class of -1 compared to 1.

Step 5: Stick with said character at least until you make it through the Nashkel Mines. By then you will have put a few levels on your characters and have a basic idea of what sort of party you need. Also you might have a better idea of what kind of character fits your playstyle best.

As people have previously stated, one of the things that makes us so 'nostalgic' is that we can now beat encounters that previously had us frustrated to no end. AD&D has a very steep learning curve, but once you know it you gain some real satisfaction from beating various encounters.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    If this game was any easier, there would be no challange. And with no challange, there would be no fun.
    In real life you also are fragile. In real life a bear is a real threat, as in this game (well, in vanilla BG EVERYTHING was a danger).
    I think people got used to nowadays run&gun games, where you kill everything with a fart. If this game is too hard for you, then learn to play or just lower the difficulty.
  • MercuriousMercurious Member Posts: 7
    Something to consider too is that BG is more about the story than anything. (to me anyway) the mechanics and graphics are just ways of getting the story across, and how that story plays out is influenced by the player. If you stick it out, I think you will enjoy it immensely. The plot twists and ending are quite something.
  • BomimoBomimo Member Posts: 18
    subterra said:

Great point you sir deserve a medal

I'm calling it now. It's a troll thread. You've ignored two full pages of sound advice, but went violently, stupidly and valorously to your own defense with vitriol and sarcasm. Troll thread indeed.
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    subterra said:

I fail to see what is so good about this game, i realise that i may not understand the game and i havent perservered with it long enough but having said that what exactly is it about it that makes this game so good for you ?
    The combat feels extremely clumsy, the characters die before u even have chance to issue orders (yes i know there is a pause button) the entire game feels like its based on luck tho and the balance feels awful, it feels completly random wether you win a battle or not, characters die way to easilly, it certainly hasnt aged well atall.
    I will continue to play it in the hopes that my opinion will change but so far i really dont get it atall, perhaps as the title reads you guys are all clouded by nostalgia ??

Good thing you obviously didnt play vanilla Baldur's Gate...
    There are enough of these "Railroad to victory" games out there..

• talzolatalzola Member Posts: 8
    Subterra...you are trolling message boards for a dungeons and dragons video game...yet you call the rest of us "nerds"....think about it man, I know from your previous posts that you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, just a tool, BUT, seriously bro, you need help.