Skip to content

Weapons NOT Breaking?

This is my first time properly playing BG1, but i did attempt a playthrough a long time ago but it just wasn't running properly on my computer so i didn't keep it going. But even with my little previous experience, i've noticed one major difference in BG:EE

I remember when playing BG1 before that my weapons were ALWAYS breaking, which made perfect sense because of the iron crisis and i thought it was a nice little touch. However, many hours of playing so far, and not one weapon has broken on me in BG:EE! Even though it was an annoyance... i kind of miss it!

So I'm just wondering... Is this something that Overhaul decided to take out of the game? Or is it just my copy of the game being weird?

Comments

• VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    You're lucky (I guess?)

Because my kensai is really struggling with keeping up with the repair and replacement costs for all of the two-handed swords he's losing right now. Thing is, it jusst makes him angrier, which makes him hit stuff harder, and they break more often and so on...

:(

(It's still in the game, and I believe it's a random chance kinda thing).
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    My weapons are still breaking. I broke a couple flails on my PC and a short sword on montaron before he met an unfortunate end. It's just a random roll of the dice, I remember the first few times I played bg1 way back when I never had any weapons break.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Important note, if you've cleared out nashkel mines, I believe they stop breaking... Not 100% though, because by that time I usually have my melee guys with +1 or better weapons :s.
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    Both my scimitars are currently lying in a broken heap, so you're just very lucky :P
  • scrumpylungsscrumpylungs Member Posts: 3
    That's weird! I'm in Nashkel at the moment on my way to try sort out the iron problems. So needless to say I've killed a whole lot of beasties on my way here! Especially as i like to pan out and reveal all of the map if i can... Seems crazy that I wouldn't break a single weapon before fixing the problem. But I guess there's always a slight chance that it's just been a ridiculously insane amount of luck!

And if it is just ridiculously good fortune, here i am complaining about it! Some people are just never happy :-p
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Good fortune and using magic and ranged weapons can avert weapon breakage =3
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Iirc the breakage risk used to be 1% per hit, not sure if anything was changed.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    @scrumpylungs I like your profile pictures. Did you know that is the same girl from Battle Royale? I wish I had the full story, but I'm guessing with Tarantino's clout he was able to cast her.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I've had 2 longswords and a dagger break. It's ingame.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    My fighter can't keep a 2h sword to save his life. I guess it's a luck thing.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Weapons are breaking but I'm not hearing the characters react to it.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    It happened to me in the Black Pits and I was like "Hey, these weapons shouldn't be affected!"
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426

My fighter can't keep a 2h sword to save his life. I guess it's a luck thing.

Happens on my blackguard as well. I actually ran out of 2H swords to buy after he broke so many. I went to the hills north of Carnival to get the +1 2H sword from the band of half-ogres and problems stopped.

However, one thing I did notice, weapons always break for PC, not for the other members of your party.

• seasea Member Posts: 65
    I've noticed that weapons seem to break less often. Only had one break so far on me, though I might have been doing less combat than in previous play-throughs.
  • MiahkaiMiahkai Member Posts: 32
    Redrake said:

Happens on my blackguard as well. I actually ran out of 2H swords to buy after he broke so many. I went to the hills north of Carnival to get the +1 2H sword from the band of half-ogres and problems stopped.

However, one thing I did notice, weapons always break for PC, not for the other members of your party.

Not true, Minsc has broken like...4 twohanders on me, I should probably go get him that magic one.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Little did anyone suspect that Miniature Giant Space Hamster Hair weakens iron...
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I never knew this. I've played BG1 so many times since it was released back in 1998 and never had a weapon break on me.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    As far as I can tell it's absolutely random when a weapon will break. I've played where a single weapon didn't break the entire game and when I was running to a shop for a new sword every 5 minuets
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I've had my weapons break a couple times, but not very often.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    I don't think magical weapons break. My paladin has had 3 bastard swords break, but his magical hammer hasn't.

Also i just beat the bandit camp
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    I've actually seen enemy weapons break while fighting me - a gnoll lost his halberd and was forced to put up his hands against my swords. Definitely still happens.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    wakizashi, ninjato, and katana do not break. were you using one of those?
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    Like others have said it definitely still happens, though not as often as it used to in the original, which to be honest i am thankful for. I used to have to carry around an armory just for all the weapons breaking down mid-fights.

So far, i think i just broke a 2-handed sword from Minsc, and a battle hammer from Branwen, maybe another 1 that i don't remember but that's about it
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Magical weapons dont break.
    But yeah, in this version of the game, even enemies weapons break. On more than one occasion ive heard the breakage noise and worried, only to read the message that a xvarts weapon has gone.
  • tobajastobajas Member Posts: 77
    Well i've lost 2 short swords, a flail, 3 long swords and a hammer in the span of four hours a little after that I got magic weapons +1 for everyone so no problems after.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited December 2012
    I lost 3 hammers before I even left candlekeep. Tough luck.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I broke my first sword on its very first swing against the first assassin I met at Candlekeep.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2012
    Miahkai said:

Redrake said:

Not true, Minsc has broken like...4 twohanders on me, I should probably go get him that magic one.
    You can also go to the area two areas south of Beregost and one area east (on the map I think it is shown to be slightly southwest of Ulcaster even though it is south of it in the original). There you will find a +1 two handed sword. ( I won't say where just to not spoil everything)