Skip to content

Best range proficiency for Dorn? Crossbow, Shortbow, Longbow?

I keep wondering if it would be best to give him shortbow if he carries over to BG2 for the Gesen bow....hrmn...or longbow and give Gesen to someone else. But I can't name many Evil aligned characters in BG2 that would work with a shortbow, though I guess you can force Immy to stick by you.

Anyone playing Dorn considering what to give him for ranged? I know everyone is keen on tanking with him...but he's fragile to me (Con isn't great), he's more of an off tank and it's better to shoot some legs out before you get into the fray no matter how strong he is.

Comments

• My inclination would be to give him Longbow. During BG1, the Composite Bow +1 and Bow of Marksmanship are both top-tier ranged weapons, and by the time you get to BG2, he'll have enough hit points even with middling Con to be able to be in the front line. I just can't see any reason not to put that 19 Str to use in melee in BG2 on, considering how much ranged weapons fall behind.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    Kaigen said:

My inclination would be to give him Longbow. During BG1, the Composite Bow +1 and Bow of Marksmanship are both top-tier ranged weapons, and by the time you get to BG2, he'll have enough hit points even with middling Con to be able to be in the front line. I just can't see any reason not to put that 19 Str to use in melee in BG2 on, considering how much ranged weapons fall behind.

@Kaigen there is the light crossbow with extra attacks to consider too...I know I don't want to give him a sling like everyone else has including my PC....

What's the best shortbow in BG1? I am greatly considering your advice....but my party looks like this:

PC (Blackguard) - Sword and Board style tanking for now and sling

Dorn - (Two-handed swords and hopefully a good long range weapon)

Monty - (Short Sword and Sling)

Vicky - (Mace or Hammer and Sling)

Xzar - (Dagger and Sling)

Edwin - (Staff and Sling)

I figure in BG2 I won't have Monty and Xzar anymore....so Korgan will get in because I love Psychopaths...and he'll duel wield like my PC will swap too)

Then you're stuck with Yoshi and Immy at first...no matter what you do...eventually I just want Sarevok prolly.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    And you figure you'll have Dorn in BG2? Based on what?
  • The Light Crossbow of Speed is right up there too. As far as I'm concerned, the LCS, the Longbow of Marksmanship, the Composite Long Bow +1, and the Eagle Bow are all roughly equivalent. They all have the same number of attacks and similar damage output. For me, what breaks the tie is that the Composite Long Bow +1 can be gotten early for relatively cheap (compared to the LCS at least), and if you don't want to spend any money, you get the LoM free before you get too far into the game.

If you had a bunch of bow users in the party, that might shake things up a bit (only so many good longbows to go around), but it looks like it's sling city for your party.

On a side note, I might end up giving Neera darts just to be different.
    @Kaigen I quite like the idea of giving her darts! I was thinking about giving Rasaad Darts in a good party! =) I'm agreeing with you on the Composite +1 since it's the highest damage bow I can find on the old weapon lists. I've gone with your recommendation and he's using longbows.

@BaldursGay dude...a lot of us have wanted this release for years. Or something like it. What's your problem?
    @bob_veng I'm sure that when BG2 comes around this year you'll be having better importing of characters, there are a lot of problems to address...and all the new characters have been purported to be available in BG2...so...if Dorn is carrying over I want to know what I'm specing here. =)
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Darts are powerful, dont underestimate them.

They are even nicer on a fighter / mage or thief / mage. I put my mage's early skill points into quarterstaffs + dart after dualing from thief or fighter. I could put a point in daggers instead of darts, but they fire fast and and are more likely to hit on a dual classed Mage.