Skip to content

My Reaction to BG:EE

2»

Comments

• KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    Let me just get this straight, and I hope I'm not being too annoying here because I respect your right to an opinion, but because of the total of maybe three minutes of movies that's included in Baldur's Gate, it diminishes your enjoyment of the game to such an extent that you do not want to play this 100+ hour game?
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Kenyon I think that he was implying that he'd just rather play the original due to this issue, not that he won't be playing BG at all (in other words because he has an alternative, he'll take it). I agree that it seems a bit extreme, I can't imagine the cinematics being important enough to not play EE at all.

I do understand feeling a bit disappointed by the change. I know I'm almost definitely going to be a bit disappointed to not see the Irenicus Dungeon opening cinematic at the beginning of BG2:EE. It wasn't perfect, but it was certainly memorable and I enjoyed it, but I'm sure I'll also enjoy whatever they end up replacing it with.
    @jaysl659 I think so too. I just imagine that the advantages of BG:EE extend far beyond the cinematics, and thus ignoring those enhancements because you don't like a 60-second intro is quite extreme.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    @Kenyon

The thing is I can play the 100+ hours of game, along with my preferred versions of the movies, by playing a different version of BG (namely vanilla, BGTutu or BGT). I'd rather play one of those versions, if I can't experience the original movies in BG:EE.
    @mister_ennui I could never do that. The zoom level in the original BG engine is atrocious (the widescreen mod makes everything look far too small). I'm glad they fixed it in the EE, although I have to wait with playing it because I'm on a Mac.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2012
    BGTutu with the widescreen mod looks fine to me (although you are correct that at the highest resolutions things can look too small) and I haven't been that impressed with the BG:EE zoom functionality.

Overall, I haven't found BG:EE to be that great a leap forward from what can already be achieved through mods. Consequently it has only taken one thing to seriously grate on me (the new movies) to make me want to stick with what was previously available.

I understand that others will feel differently of course.