Skip to content

difficulty setting

Alas there's no BGConfig in BGEE, just an ini-file, but I just reached my first level-up in the game and noticed I got full hp at level-up, i.e.: the default difficulty setting is 'normal' instead of 'core AD&D rules' in the BGEE default settings. Just thought I should warn anyone else playing, who didn't notice it yet. It was the same in vanilla BG, but you noticed it easier there as you opened BGConfig after installation for tweaking.

It can be adjusted by going to baldur.ini in My Documents>Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, and unlike the vanilla baldur.ini, this one is best viewed not with notepad, but with Wordpad (talking Windows here, but the default difficulty is cross-platform the same I suppose, therefore I post in General). Go to 'difficulty level' and change '2' (=normal), to '3' (=core).

Comments

• CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Yeah, I noticed yesterday that things were going a bit too easy. 2/3 of damage by monsters is for pansies. :)
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    Why not just adjust it ingame ???
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Yeah, there's a nice slider for the purpose in the game... ;)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Spjuv3rn said:

Why not just adjust it ingame ???

Did you find an ingame setting than?

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    But Normal=core rules in terms of combat...
  • loganultimaloganultima Member Posts: 109
    Insane in the membrane ;)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Kirkor said:

But Normal=core rules in terms of combat...

No. Quote from BGConfig: "Hit point rolls are maximum, characters cannot die permanently [so no chunking], all spells are learned automatically and monsters do three quart damage".

From my experience so far, all four apply and I will need to restart the game.

I hope with Core difficulty the monsters groups will be bigger as well, when I met a diseased gibberling, it was a single one, when I met a kobold, it was a single one. With Tutu, I'm used to be scared out of my wits on the Lion's Way with my first level character as they come in groups of 6, and sometimes several groups converging on the same spot because of calls for help.

It will all be just trying out the game and no real fun anyway till Hard Times and Sword Coast Stratagems are made compatible and help to make the game harder.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Lol yeah there is an ingame difficulty setting under gameplay.
    Same as before.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I believe the default setting has always been normal - I suspect thats why they called it normal even tho it's actually nerfed from core rules and probably should have been called something else - I played the original for a long time before discovering I was playing on a nerfed ruleset.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The game was originally release with core rules as the default difficult. Same with BG2 too. Later releases, such as multipacks and game of the year editions reduced it to normal however.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2012
    I am almost certain either BG or BG2 was released with normal as the default becuase I recall being annoyed after discovering it...

Edit...
    Hmmmm... it is possible however that core was the default and I was annoyed that core wasn't normal or actually that normal wasn't core - that the devs seemed to think that the "normal" player needed his game nerfed from core in order to play...
    Post edited by Wanderon on
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700

monsters do three quart damage

Hmm... Didn't know about this.
    Damn, there should be just options to tick:
    - Maximum HP per level
    - Spells learned automaticaly
    - No perma death

So everyone could play the exactly way they like. I like normal setting, but 3/4 damage is too low :S
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Yeah I'd love to play on the normal too, except I want full damage. :-/