Skip to content

Do you always play with a full 6?

LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
Are you one of those people who's a 'few characters short of a party'?
That's not slang for 'not all right in the head'. I mean do you prefer 4 rather than 6 party members? Or less.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Mostly play with a full 6, though it takes me awhile before I assemble the "final version" of the party. Sometimes I tell myself I'm going to play with a smaller party, but in the end I just like the NPC personalities too much to leave spots open.
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as Shin i think:)
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2012
    Here lately I've been playing with five because of paired NPCs like Minsc and Dynaheir and don't want to drop anyone for Dynahair (Dorn fills Minsc's shoes in terms of battle, though, so it's not a huge loss except I miss Minsc' funniness). I have Jaheira without Khalid (who blissfully died and was not resurrected). I thought about doing the same to Dynaheir until Dorn joined the party.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Same here :)
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I usually use 4 or go solo. Higher levels give you more tactical options so I find it more fun to have smaller groups. There aren't many NPCs I consider must-haves anyway.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Whilst I end up with a full 6, until that point, it's generally 4 or 5 as other party members come and go.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I actually like to play less than 6 ppl in a group too. 4 being the optimal, 5 if I can't decide or just want to take some interesting NPC with me.
    Basically, you need 4 roles/classes :
    1) warrior- best if pure warrior/paladin/ranger/barbarian meatshield
    2) divine caster - pick cleric over druid. good option to multi/dual class with warrior or mage
    3) thief - open locks/find traps. if he can fight/backstab or lay traps- even better
    4) mage -... no comment here

in BG1, you can do with the first three. I beat the game once without a mage...difficult, but a good strategy challenge. but having a mage is better and Imoen is so easily dual-able to thief/mage that it'd be a shame not to use that. a mage can be substituted a bit by a bard, but I personally don't think them being effective in neither in fight or casting. they can do as a buffer when you are playing with 6 people, but we are talking about challenge of playing with 4.

my most favourite 4-man setups
    1) good: Minsc (warrior), Jaheira (healer/warrior), Imoen (thief/mage) + charname (any)
    2) evil : Kagain (awesome warrior), Viconia (healer), Edwin (mage) + charname (thief/multiclass with thief. assasin is a good pick here) - easiest setup just due to the fact that evil chars are overpowered a bit.
    3) mixed : charname (warrior), Imoen (thief/mage), Viconia (healer), + Minsc/Kivan/anyone else of any alignment.
    4) mixed, physical meelee: Viconia+Imoen or Quayle to cover healing+ mage utility and charname (warrior type) + some other warrior.

...what's your 4-man party setup combo?
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    If I play a fighter(ranger)/cleric then I would have:
    Kivan for an archer/ Imoen for a thief-mage/ then may be Quayle as a secondary caster. OR
    Coran for an archer/Branwen/Dynahier/Minsc.

Since good cleric/mages are in short supply I would play that then rearrrange the above so have
    Yeslick - one of the best fighters and clerics in the game. Imoen as thief-mage and Kivan for arrows.
    You end up with a combo of 2 fighters, 2 mages, 2 clerics and 1 thief. That's more than enough.

Things are different with the NPC Mod for BG1 as they all become much more fun. I also had a tactics mod that moved late NPCs like Quayle to Naskell Carnival so he became a better option.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    every character you drop makes all the rest level SO much faster, which is really sexy. on the other hand, a lot of the personality of the game comes from being with a party. frankly, I wish the game'd originally been designed not to split XP rewards, such that there'd be no XP incentive to play solo.
  • SivenSiven Member Posts: 11
    I tend to wander around with 4 or 5 until I've done all the character quests that I want to, then I finalize my party.
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    I've always had a full 6. On my next playthrough with BG:EE, I'm going to limit myself to 4 for most of the game, and by the time I get to the end, perhaps I'll pick up a 5th.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    I start the game only duoing with Imoen to reach level 2 faster. Then I slowly add another party member or two for extra firepower, but want to maximize XP gain. By the time I have reached level 3 I am usually flushed out to a full 6 member party.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    "Do you always play with a full 6?"

Yes, max party interaction ftw. :)