Skip to content

Spell level

I'm playing as a Wild Mage, currently at level 3, and I'm curious if anyone knows why my character is only firing one missile from the spell magic missile? Is this a bug or did my Wild Mage roll bad on the wild surge table which permanently lowered my spell level, is that even possible? I have Neera in my party, her spell is working correctly, ie two missiles at level 3.

Comments

• TekrithTekrith Member Posts: 3
    It shouldn't be permanent, a feature of the Wild Mage class is that their spell caster level is between -5 and +5 of their actual level each time they cast a spell
  • OndskOndsk Member Posts: 6
    I did not know that, hopefully it's just temporarily, i'ts been this for a while now though. Thanks for your answer.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2012
    @Ondsk, well, if you're level three, that means the spell is going to cast either one, two, three, or four missiles. If your rolled modifier is +0, or +1, that's two missiles. If the modifier is +2, +3, you should get three missiles. +4, +5, should give you four missiles. -1, -2, -3, -4, -5, will be one missile. That's 11 total possibilities. 5/11 of those are only one missile. I know from experience that the randomization program in the original game skews dice rolls low, so I'd say you have a greater than 50 percent probability at level three to only get one missile.

@Tekrith, I also didn't know that bit about Wild Mage spell levels. Thanks for teaching us about that. It's another reason for me to not like that class, but that's another discussion that's already been had.
  • DrEastDrEast Member Posts: 113

@Ondsk, well, if you're level three, that means the spell is going to cast either one, two, three, or four missiles. If your rolled modifier is +0, or +1, that's two missiles. If the modifier is +2, +3, you should get three missiles. +4, +5, should give you four missiles. -1, -2, -3, -4, -5, will be one missile. That's 11 total possibilities. 5/11 of those are only one missile. I know from experience that the randomization program in the original game skews dice rolls low, so I'd say you have a greater than 50 percent probability at level three to only get one missile.

@Tekrith, I also didn't know that bit about Wild Mage spell levels. Thanks for teaching us about that. It's another reason for me to not like that class, but that's another discussion that's already been had.

The logic here is a bit off. A wild mage's tables change the first few levels of its existence (it starts out at level 1 with no modification, just a wild surge chance)... it doesn't finalize until level 10 or so, IIRC.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @DrEast, I don't know. My probability theory was based on the information provided by @Tekrith. If that info is wrong, then of course, my analysis is wrong.