Skip to content

Should I buy...

I've been watching the development of this for a while as I was a big fan of BG and BG2 when they first came out and both hold a special place in my heart. I haven't played them since though and haven't played any modded versions of either.

People on these forums seem pretty pissed off though with the quality the Enhanced Edition. Is this because they're obsessed with BG and have been for 10 years and this isn't the revolution they wanted or is it because it's actually a buggy mess.

I'm a fairly big gamer but will normally let the odd little buggy thing slide and had no problem with the little bugs in things like Fallout etc...

Should I just buy it and support the publisher or wait and see what happens with the next few patches?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I refer you to this thread:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8001/rate-bgee-out-of-10
    Perhaps for a good reason, but the people experiencing the most problems with the game tend to be more vocal than those who are.
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    Obviously it's up to you, but check out the major bugs first and make sure you have the right graphics card etc first. If you're good to go, I think its worth the money from what I've seen.

Apart from the major bugs ( I have the Intel one on my laptop) I think most of the other complaints seem to be from people who expected BGEE to be an upgrade on their modded game, when in fact it is an upgrade on the original game, which they obviously didn't want to play as is anyway, because they modded it.
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    YES, buy it. Support what they've already done and help fund what they will do. Personally speaking, I've not ran into a single bug or glitch and am having an incredible amount of fun playing BG:EE.
  • Paulo_DPaulo_D Member Posts: 4
    I have nvidia Geforce 105M... I assume this is ok.
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    @Paulo_D, I would assume so. My system is all NVIDIA and I've had not one issue, as stated previously.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited December 2012
    @Paulo_D I would wait for a real big patch which removes all Trouble which Beamdog thinks of worthy of being removed.

But In General:

It depends what do you expect from the game :)

You want to have High Resolution Support with the ability to zoom? But sadly also with integraded Auto-Zoom which can not be deactivated? in that case yes.

If You can ignore Blurry Graphic Elements on High resolutions around 1080P - yes then

Since you have no Intel Graphic... thats also a go.

But it is still a long way until the Enhanced PC Version earns the name enhanced. Thats the difference to the Tablet Version - which has indeed the right to take that name ;)

Good luck with deciding :)

• BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    I'd say wait at least until Christmas before playing it. This rule applies to all games: Don't play games at launch. They have lots of bugs that get fixed usually pretty fast, depending on how severe they are. BG:EE is no exception. It still has plenty of issues.
    I guess it's only $20 (about £14) might as well just buy it and see.
    edited December 2012
    @Paulo_D Do not be too disappointed afterwards :)

There is no Real High Resolution Graphic, because the source artwork is missing, they did not recreate it from scratch, so you get basically an upscaled version which is enhanced trough filtering.

The only real graphical problems are the zoom which can not be deactivated (not talking about the manually zoom feature) and the Low Resolution GUI.

The technical Problems are much more to worry about.

You get in fact a 1:1 copy of the Tablet Game, without the Tablet Core, otherwise it would not run on a pc :D That means also, as written above, no HQ Artwork, since the EE has to run on different tablets, and not everyone is powerful.
    @IkonNavros cheers... only £14... I've paid more for less. Will give it a go and see how it plays (then probably end up buying the iPad version too).
    Well, have fun then :)