Skip to content

In game avatar

Is there a way to change my character's avatar sprite? He's a fighter/thief who I would rather look like a thief. Thanks.

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Theres a mod within BG Tweaks that fixes this.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Several ways. The one requiring the least amount of tampering is to install a component of the BG2 Tweaks mod called avatar morphing script. Have your character use that script in-game and you can switch animations as much as you'd like.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    Tweaks? Does that even work with BGEE?
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I also play F/T and want to look like pure T.
    I wish that multiclasses could choose which of their class they want to look like. <- Feature Request!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    People are saying Shadowkeeper works with BG:EE, so you could also use that if you can get it to work. I think I'll try it - I've got a cleric-mage that I want to use the mage avatar.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @belgarathmth I've been using Shadowkeeper for a few weeks now. It works just fine.

@cbarchuk I believe BG2 Tweaks has already been updated to work with BG:EE.
    @Aosaw - I just tried it. Mine doesn't. I seem to remember reading instructions that said you needed to make copies of dialog.tlk and a couple of other files, but now I can't find it. Do you that info, or where it was posted?
    Here's the basic instructions: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/158814/#Comment_158814

I recommend creating a hard link to the dialog.tlk and a junction to the characters and saves folders (possibly baldur.ini as well), which will make it so you don't have to copy and re-copy your files every time you edit them.

For a hard link:
    Copy the file you want to link to, and paste it into the install directory, and then open a command window in that same folder (Shift-right-click and select "Open Command Window"), and then type:
    mklink /H "dialog.tlk" "\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk"

For a junction:
    Open a command window (don't copy the folders!) as above, and type:
    mklink /J "save" "C:\user\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save"

(repeat for "characters" and "baldur.ini")

Voila! It should work just fine.
    edited December 2012
    Where do I install the tweaks? I installed into the basic directory and it said it needed the chitin some or another. So I moved there and now it says it needs the dialog.tlk.
    Until WeiDU is updated to work with BG:EE, you'll have to follow the instructions in this thread to get it to work:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee
    Ah man. Yea I'm afraid to even try all that mess.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2012
    Don't.

Use CLUAConsole and use the command that changes the avatar animation. I think it's Ctrl+6 for previous and Ctrl+7 for next.

After that, change the color of your hair and skin through customize in the record sheet, if you so desire.

It's this thread, thanks to Cuv.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-customize-your-game/p1

The other solution is to use Shadowkeeper or NearInfinity, although it's a bit more complicated for now.
    Okay, I just got it to change my avatar, although I still have to manually transfer the new save file.

(I'm sorry, but as soon as somebody starts giving me a "command line" with three dozen characters, and a dozen punctuation marks, and spaces here, and no spaces there, that has to be typed exactly correctly, my eyes widen like a deer caught in headlights, and I have to say "no, thanks" to it.)

For other people's convenience, here are @Aosaw's instructions, reprinted:

1) Open "...Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\"

2) Copy "baldur.ini", "characters", and "saves"

3) Open "...Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766[or whatever number it is]\"

4) Paste the three copied files and folders into this directory

5) In this same directory, open "lang\en_us\" (or whatever language you're intending to use)

6) Copy "dialog.tlk"

7) Return to the root "\00766\" directory

8) Paste the copied "dialog.tlk" file into this directory

9) Open Shadowkeeper, and set the installation directory to the "\00766\" folder. (The program will yell at you because it's not BG2, but that's fine).

10) Restart Shadowkeeper.

It leaves off that you have to then transfer your new save file to the new "My Documents" location, unless you can follow that "junction" instruction that @Aosaw added up there in that last post.

I'm going to try also changing Neera to a sorceress, and Rasaad to a cleric, and see what happens. I have a feeling it might break their personal quest areas once those are unlocked, but we'll see.

@Aosaw, we could use your ten-step instructions in their own thread, titled something like "How to Use Shadowkeeper with BG:EE", and stickied. I realize that we're getting an awful lot of stickies up at the top, but we kind of need them. These very good instructions are too hard to find in that other thread - I tried the search feature before, and they didn't come up.

Thank you so much for figuring this out for everybody. If I can use Shadowkeeper to make minor changes, it is going to significantly increase my enjoyment of BG:EE.
    We're working on some forum restructuring (a lot of people don't know that there's a Modding forum, for instance); I'll post the Shadowkeeper instructions once I know it'll be visible.

(the other modding topics will be moved there as well)
    cbarchuk said:

Ah man. Yea I'm afraid to even try all that mess.

On the bright side, the_bigg is planning to release a new version of WeiDU on Tuesday. So you shouldn't have to wait very long.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    @Aosaw yay /hug

That's good news indeed :]