Skip to content

Okay, I give up, spoil me - getting Dorn to join (spoilers!)

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
First let me say that as great as these Vanilla forums are, they are sorely in need of an advanced search function. I tried to search for this in the search box every way I could think of, but to no avail.

Some sort of condition clearly needs to be met for Dorn to join. I've spoken with him at the FAI, and he tells me to bugger off. I don't want to waste exploration of a lot of the game's maps without Dorn, searching in vain for whatever will get him to join.

I've gotten some hints from a Google search, although almost nothing comes up in search results as yet. From the one result I did find, best I can tell, getting Dorn's quest apparently involves an encounter with a group of bandits; and this takes place after completing the Nashkel mines. (From Dorn's backstory I would assume that's likely the same band of brigands he used to run with, and now seeks revenge upon. But I guess I'll find out soon enough.)

Anyway, I cleared the Nashkel mines and went ahead and completed the Bandit Camp. Found nothing new along the lines mentioned above.

How do I satisfy whatever condition gets Dorn to join? I have lots of archived saves along the way, so I can go back to some earlier point if needed.

Thanking you in advance!

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Unspoilery answer: Just keep playing; you'll figure out what to do when the time comes.

Spoilery answer:
    Talk to Dorn; a journal entry will be created, but he won't join you.

Then, just continue your journey. An event will happen just before you get to Nashkel (You'll think you've been accosted by bandits), and Dorn will appear. After a short fight, he'll offer to join you.
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2012
    Not just Nashkel but the Nashkel mines. Go to the mines. In the future I hope there are no more NPCs like this.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I wonder, is it intended that he's hanging around at the Friendly Arm when you first arrive there? The event Aosaw describes feels to me as if it was supposed to be the first time you encounter him.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Thanks! Hmm. The encounter never happened in my game.

I had Imoen on board, and first added Xzar and Monty, then Khalid and Jaheira. We journeyed south one map at a time.

I didn't speak to Dorn first, though, not realizing he was even there at the FAI, if that matters.

Oy. Maybe I'll go back to a save right after I picked up J & K and see if it happens as I head south towards Nashkel...

As mentioned I have cleared the Nashkel mines and completed the Bandit Camp, launching chapter 4. Shouldn't this encounter have happened by now?
    I have a feeling it's dependent on you talking to Dorn at the Friendly Arm Inn first. Not the way I would have designed it, but...

Try talking to him now, and then travel to the Nashkel Mines, and see if the encounter happens. I'm genuinely curious now.
    edited December 2012
    Thanks all.

Okay, I took the long walk along the Coast Way from FAI. The encounter did fire as I traveled from the village of Nashkel to the Nashkel mines.

As mentioned, I had spoken to Dorn--but after having completed the Nashkel mines, not prior to.

This is still workable. I still have most of the game ahead of me: the great majority of the wilderness maps, Cloakwood and everything north of it (except for the Bandit Camp), the ToSC quests, etc. I'm just starting chapter 4, and have cleared no maps other than what is minimally required by the main plot.

If the encounter where Dorn becomes joinable is

1) dependent upon speaking first to Dorn at the FAI, and,

2) the encounter only fires directly upon approaching the Nashkel mines,

then that is very problematic. Because first of all, not every player is going notice Dorn standing there in the FAI. And secondly, after one completes the Nashkel mines, who's going to head to that map again?
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    I agree. Make a post in the Bugs/BGEE forum. It's technically not a bug, but it's definitely something that should be looked at.
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, good idea. I posted there about it. Thank you again.

I think it makes the most sense to have Dorn's joinable encounter fire upon leaving the FAI map (destination irrelevant) after conversation has been initiated with him.

I think it would make more sense logically, as well. This scenario assumes that the bandits are nearby the FAI. Perhaps they're looking to cash in on the iron crisis not only by robbing caravans but also by preying on other bandits. Anyway that establishes why Dorn, who is in pursuit of this band, is also at the FAI. Dorn might even have tracked them to the area and is waiting out for them at FAI, figuring they'll show up there. And perhaps when you introduce yourself, he figures your party either looks like easy pickins' for the bandits, or looks well equipped, whichever is the case. Either way your party seems to be a good target. So he follows you on a hunch. And sure enough, the bandits appear.

Anyway, imvho something like that would probably make more sense than the way it is currently written. And you're then assured of not missing out on having the opportunity to have him join, if you do speak with him.
    Maybe not that immediately, but it certainly would make more sense to have it on a timer rather than location-specific.
  • SivenSiven Member Posts: 11
    I never noticed him in the inn, and I found him in an ambush before even entering the mines O.o
    Ah, well perhaps then speaking to him first is not a condition.
    edited December 2012
    Aosaw said:

Maybe not that immediately, but it certainly would make more sense to have it on a timer rather than location-specific.

Yeah, that's probably a better solution than making it location-specific. Although the downside of a timer can be the same sort of awkwardness to the flow of the game that sometimes occurs with romance banters. But I guess if it's firing during an area transition it's not a that big a deal.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    It is not necessary to go to the Naskhel Mines. My party is in chapter 2 and has cleared most of the overland maps and has never been to the mines. When traveling from the area with Samuel to the Friendly Army Inn, we had the encounter and met Dorn.
    edited December 2012
    @Sulla Okay, I guess it must be on a timer after you speak with him then? Did you speak with him first?
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    @Lemernis Yes, I spoke to him near the beginning of the game. I am probably 25 days into the game and cleared most of the wilderness in Chapter 2, before I had the encounter.
    Hmm. Well evidently the encounter isn't tied to a location. So that's good.
  • LilarcorLilarcor Member Posts: 16
    I went straight south from meeting Monty & Xzar (doing an evil runthrough, fell in with a bad crowd etc) and now, having cleaned out the mines at Nashkel and headed back up to the FAI, I can't seen to find Dorn. Khlalid & Jaheira are also gone but I'm not so bothered about them.

Where exactly is he supposed to be standing? And does this mean I've forfeited the opportunity to have him in my party? Please tell me this isn't another blunder from Overhaul.
    He should be near the entrance to FAI a bit to the right. That's where I found him, anyway. (I didn't even think to look for him there when I first visited the inn at the start of the game. I'm now just assuming he was there from the start.)
    I went back to early saves and tested a bit. Working from a save prior to going to the Nashkel mines map:

A) When I did not speak with Dorn first, when I entered the Nashkel mines area the encounter did not fire.

B) When I did speak with Dorn first, the encounter did fire upon entering the Nashkel mines map.

So it does appear that is how it is written. But it doesn't explain why some players who never spoke with Dorn at all are having the encounter fire much later. I guess it must go on a timer if one hasn't spoken with Dorn prior to visiting the Nashkel mines map?