Skip to content

Screw it - I just want a refund (if possible)

So ordered this and sure as shit, neither install option is working. Gotta say I'm pretty sick of companies releasing games that don't work. Just got through having to fix The Walking Dead's save game issue. Why in the hell should I have to fix squat? Why is this accepted in the pc gaming world? Say you buy a car. But when you go to drive it off the lot, you find out you have to take the engine out and put it back in for it to start. That would be pretty f'd up right? Well, it seems, that's what's going on here. I buy games to play them - not to dick around with them for hours to get them to work.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Send an email to support@beamdog.com and they'll try to figure out what's causing the trouble. I'm sorry you've been having issues; chances are it has something to do with your computer setup, so if you include that information in the email it will be easier for them to troubleshoot.
  • Strummer101erStrummer101er Member Posts: 5
    Well, I'll be damned. So after a hour or so of trying to get it to launch, it just started working out of the blue (well, after I posted this and fired off an email). Checked it out and seems to be playing fine.
    That's great news!

Do you know if you did anything specific to get it to work?
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Perhaps it was the patch? Dont know if youve tried it since the hotfix earlier on
  • cedessecedesse Member Posts: 18
    I have an order confirmation and an order code for BGEE, which I bought a week ago.

My story is the same as so many other people's stories:
    When I run the pre-installer I get the message: "Your accound isn't provisioned for this title."
    However, I can log on to the Beamdog service using the EXACT SAME email and pw!
    But when I check under "My Games", there is no content.

I neither got my addons or my money back when I tried to download content for Dragon Age, and now the exact same thing is happening again with a new company. There is no valid excuse (no, incompetence and bad planning aren't excuses) for not giving people what they have paid for!

I suddenly feel a strong urge to encourage everyone to download these games illegally for free. Companies like Beamdog and Bioware who simply end up stealing people's money deserve to get robbed.

If someone knows how to sue a company in these situations where downloads/access for prepaid products fail, please contact me. I shall do my very best to tell everyone else about it.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2012
    -
    It could just be a computer error. Send support@beamdog.com an email and let them know what's going on.

Please do not tell people to pirate the game.
    Not sure what it was. Launcher deal kept having a problem and closing. The Beamdog downloader showed 5 days. Closed everything out and then it popped up a few minutes later that it had downloaded. Went into the game and it works fine. Odd.
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    Aosaw said:

It could just be a computer error. Send support@beamdog.com an email and let them know what's going on.

Please do not tell people to pirate the game.

It doesn't matter, its a lame-ass threat. pirates are going to pirate. Someone saying ‘i can't get this game to work, you should pirate it' isn't a good sales pitch.
    And as someone who's worked in tech support and currently works as a desktop engineer, it wasn't a user error :)
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    Heard that one a lot, too. ;)
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    There aren't pirates...there are only swashbucklers. At least in character creation anyway.
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    Encouraging priacy is not cool even if you don't like the product. I won't be telling others to buy the game but I sure as hell won't encourage others to pirate it either. Boycott Beamdog/Overhaul if you feel like their products are inferior.

That said the launcher issue is not user error, it starts/stops working at random without any user input at all so I suspect it has something to do with backend problems.
    I have paid for this game, but I haven't got my product, and the Beamdog client even gives me the message that I am not "provisioned to this title".

User error? How on earth is that possible?
    All I have done is running the pre-installer (I even run the exe as admin) that was sent to me from Beamdog on the 28th.
    After that I tried installing the Beamdog client from my order confirmation. It recognizes by account and pw that I used to purchase the game. But all I can do with the client is try to buy the game again (but I'm not that dumb).

So as far as I am concerned, the only pirate right now is Beamdog.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2012
    cedesse said:

I have paid for this game, but I haven't got my product, and the Beamdog client even gives me the message that I am not "provisioned to this title".

User error? How on earth is that possible?
    All I have done is running the pre-installer (I even run the exe as admin) that was sent to me from Beamdog on the 28th.
    After that I tried installing the Beamdog client from my order confirmation. It recognizes by account and pw that I used to purchase the game. But all I can do with the client is try to buy the game again (but I'm not that dumb).

So as far as I am concerned, the only pirate right now is Beamdog.

did you try to contact Beamdog????
    @cedesse (per our conversation)
    Don't buy the game again; wait for a response from support. It sounds like your purchase wasn't added to the database, which would explain why it's not installing for you. This is something that's happened before, and from what I understand it's an easy fix, it just requires time. I can promise you that they didn't intentionally deprive you of the game. :)
    @mch202
    Yes. Already done that. Let's see what happens.
    After my experience with Bioware's Dragon Age DLC I have become allergic to technical issues with product downloads. They allowed you spend the money, but they would not allow you to re-download the content, although the download never completed.
    edited December 2012
    Beamdog will let you download it again, but this sounds more like an accounting issue.

(edited for periods. Grammar is my friend...)
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    mch202 said:

did you try to contact Beamdog????

For some reason this seems to be the last resort for people having problems.

"I'm having problems, and beamdog should just telepathically know this and fix it for me right now or I want my money back"

Emails go a long ways to solving problems.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Lawsuits? Piracy? This is getting ridiculous.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    Aosaw said:

(edited for periods. Grammar is my friend...)

I think I heard that Midol helps with periods.

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    "user error"

PEBCAK
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    User error. Exists in all walks of life.
    Had an argument the other night with a techie who was telling me it must have been my gear that was faulty. Turns out the git had plugged me into the wrong channel on the desk. 'Heh, found an air-gap.'
    Tool...
    yeah, if there's one thing I know - when you click a button on a program to download something and the program basically has a miscarriage and shuts down - it's user error lol
  • DMCDMC Member Posts: 44
    I didn't have the same problem you did, but I did have preloader and launcher problems right on launch day, but it turned out that I was missing a few Microsoft Updates to NET Framework, so once I had run a update, everything has run just fine. I might recommend you run a quick update, clear disk of temp files, and then reboot and try again? It might work?
  • HuttjHuttj Member Posts: 8

yeah, if there's one thing I know - when you click a button on a program to download something and the program basically has a miscarriage and shuts down - it's user error lol

When you click the button and it fails,

and many others click the same button and it succeeds,

it's not necessarily user error, but the question is "what makes the difference?"

That's why contacting Beamdog is so important. There's a lot of different computer configurations out there. Mine works fine, yours does not. Is it something Beamdog can fix, or something they have no control over (sorry Intel onboard graphics users)? I don't know.

I've been on the receiving end of things not working when they do for others (my brother had the 30% SWTOR issue, which they deny existed). It sucks. I've had Arkham City totally coughing up a lung for me until I got a new graphics card, despite my older one meeting the specs. It sucks.

The more information you can provide the company on what's happening, the easier it is for them to find the issue and fix it.