Skip to content

problem with Dorn's joinable encounter

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited January 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
It appears the Dorn becomes joinable by two conditions being met:

1) You must initiate conversation with him. (?)

2) After speaking with him first, you must then enter the Nashkel mines map. (?)

Not sure if this is correct... A few of us were wondering this based on our experience thus far...

If this is correct it is very problematic. Because a lot of players aren't going to notice Dorn standing there in the crowded, bustling FAI. (I didn't.) And if they don't notice him... or perhaps do, and simply choose not to speak with him at that point, for whatever reason... and they then complete the Nashkel mines quest (as I did)... they're not going to figure out how to get him to join (as I wasn't).

Who will have occasion to return to the Nashkel mines after that quest has been completed? Not many.

Well, perhaps a few players who didn't clear the map at that time. But most players likely will not go there again.

I actually spent quite a bit of time clearing maps looking for Dorn, and to no avail--because I hadn't noticed or spoken with him at FAI before heading to the Nashkel mines.

So if this is all correct, I strongly recommend rethinking how Dorn is to join. Perhaps the encounter should fire upon leaving the FAI map to any other destination, after initiating conversation with Dorn.

That would make probably more sense anyway, since you just spoke with Dorn there. In this scenario you and Dorn both happened to leave FAI at about the same time, independently. However the bandits he's looking for are very nearby--which actually establishes why Dorn is at the FAI in the first place. (Perhaps he was even laying in wait for them there.) Anyway, he goes out looking for them again as you leave FAI, and he sees them tracking you. Something like that. But it would assure that players get to use him, versus most new players missing out on the opportunity if they don't speak to him before going to the Nashkel mines.

Or maybe just set the encounter on a timer rather than make it location-specific.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    By one report the encounter happened without the player speaking to Dorn at all. So perhaps it isn't necessary to talk to him first, as I've speculated.
    And another reports that the encounter occurred elsewhere, other the the mines--in the map where Samuel is located.

Not sure if the encounter is buggy, or it just randomly fires, or what!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Since you get ambushed while Dorn tracks your ambushers and counter-ambushes them...
    It is intended to be somewhat random!
    Not an issue.
    But must players speak with Dorn first? And the encounter seems to takes place consistently upon entering the Nashkel mines map--but only after speaking with Dorn. Otherwise it appears totally random. So it's all a bit confusing.
    No, you don't have to speak with Dorn first. You might need to visit FAI, but that's hardly a problem, is it?
    edited December 2012
    @Avenger_teambg Okay, thanks. It's basically a random encounter then?
    @Lemernis actually, i was wrong. You need to speak with Dorn.
    It is a random encounter, yes. But it will produce the dorn cutscene ONLY if you talked to him.

It wouldn't be necessary, but it is currently working that way.