Skip to content

Sorcerer Multi-Class

TomeTome Member Posts: 466
I've been hoping that BG: EE would externalize Sorcerers so that they could be dual/multi classed, but unfortunately it seems like that is currently not the case. What I am about to suggest is beyond my currently very limited modding capabilities, but I would like to know whether it is possible.

Is is doable to create a mod which adds a class that is identical to a Sorcerer, but capable of being dual/multi classed? If not, what would be the best way of replicating a fighter/sorcerer multiclass in BG: EE? Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this! :D

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Sorcerer is a 3rd edition class, whereas most of the rest of Baldur's Gate is based on the second, so we don't have any clear data on how it is supposed to multiclass.

Both barbarians and monks are also from 3rd edition, but unlike sorcerer, they were present in the 1st edition as well - where they were not available for multiclassing or, if I remember correctly, dual-classing. If sorcerer follows their example, it would make sense to not be a dual-/multiclass option.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Whereas monks are mostly ability based and can to a great extent be recreated as a fighter kit, the sorcerer casting mechanics (the main thing that sets them apart from mages) are hardcoded - so there's currently no good way to emulate a sorcerer.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I see, thank you very much for clearing that up. Just out of interest, how did the creator of the 'Geomantic Sorcerer' mod create that kit? Would it be possible to use that same method to create a sorcerer with some physical capability?

Failing that, I might just use Shadowkeeper to manually mod in my envisaged abilities whenever necessary.

Sorry for the bother, I'm afraid that when I get a character concept in my head, I'm typically loath to let it go. :)
    Ah yeah, I should have been more clear about it. You can still add non-hardcoded abilities to a sorcerer. In the geomantic sorcerer case (without having looked into the files) I believe it's a case of druid/cleric spells having been converted to wizard spells so they end up covered by the natural sorcerer casting system, and then creating new HLAs (or modifying old ones) and adding them to the sorcerer HLA table.

The mod seemingly bypasses the difficulty of adding a kit to the sorcerer class by adding these abilities to a sorcerer character once the game has started.

So, you could for instance create a sorcerer and then edit attacks and thac0 to be similar to a fighter's, and add fighter HLA:s, etc. The things you can't do afaik is to make the class be seen by the game as any class other than sorcerer, nor can you add hardcoded effects such as thief abilities.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    @Shin I believe this sort of thing has been added to the externalisation requests has it not? If so for now I guess that is all that can be done, apart from the Shadow Keeper editing work arounds.
    @IchigoRXC Yeah, I believe it has been. Still, interesting if that kit manages to add new HLA progression and spell progression tables without affecting all sorcerers with it.
    edited December 2012
    A (possible) update:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/45258-multiclassed-multikit-builder-mod-experimental/

Apparently, the above mod made it possible to multi-class a sorcerer. However, the forum was split on whether it actually worked for sorcerers, and it definitely isn't compatible with BG:EE yet. If anyone can get it to work on BG, hopefully we'll find out.
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    Its cool , but it sais nothing about sorcerers, they are not implemented as mage kits, still good catch.
    I thought so too, but later posts in the topic seem to imply that sorcerers work. Probably incorrect, but I thought it was worth a look.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2012
    There has been an attempt to create Sorceror/Monk multiclass at GemRB...

Indeed it would be a powerful character... High AC without armor, good number of attacks, fast, monk melee attacks and monk HLAs would mesh well with tensor's transformation, black blade of disaster and other protective spells, MR... Def a munchkin character, especially combined with level cap remover...

http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=mods:sorcerer_monk

Obviously it wouldn't work for BGEE...
    Thanks for the update, I guess it at least shows that the devs may be able to make it a possibility, even if we can't.
  • John_BarleycornJohn_Barleycorn Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2020
    Chow wrote: »
    Sorcerer is a 3rd edition class, whereas most of the rest of Baldur's Gate is based on the second, so we don't have any clear data on how it is supposed to multiclass.

Both barbarians and monks are also from 3rd edition, but unlike sorcerer, they were present in the 1st edition as well - where they were not available for multiclassing or, if I remember correctly, dual-classing. If sorcerer follows their example, it would make sense to not be a dual-/multiclass option.

That is why usually mix things like 2nd edition with 3rd isn't a great idea... Anyway, another possible solution could have been make a subclass like the dragon disciple that adds more fighting skills and maybe some less spells. (for compensate)
    Although i think multiclassing should be ported as it is in 3rd edition, since it should be something open, like IWD2 (where i usually always play with monk/sorcerer or fighter/sorcerer)
    Post edited by John_Barleycorn on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2019
    Aaand it gives me error. (failure("resource [SPLPROT.2da] not found for "APPEND" ")
    Dang.
    Post edited by John_Barleycorn on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2020
    In fact, i did it on BG2EE, but i'm not sure if 2.5... I'll see if i can get it patched. Thanks.